Woolite Fabric Wash

ratings (1 Epinions review)

Gentle, Safe Washing with Woolite

Jan 14, 2006 (Updated Apr 12, 2006)

Pros:no phosphates, biodegradable, does not fade or shrink fabrics, gentle, nice scent

Cons:the larger bottles may be awkward to hold and pour from

The Bottom Line: My clothes retain their brightness with gentle Woolite.

My mother introduced me to Woolite Fabric Wash when I was a little girl. I’ve been using it ever since ... for over thirty years. Of course, the first attraction to Woolite was the bubbles! However, over the years I’ve come to appreciate Woolite’s other qualities.

Description

Woolite comes in a distinctive plastic white bottle with blue lettering and design. The liquid isn’t quite clear and has a mild fresh scent. I have seen Woolite available in many different sizes. I purchase the smaller 16 ounce size. However, Woolite also comes in 50, 75 and 150 ounce bottles.

The Claims

The bottle makes many claims.

* No Shrinking, Stretching or Fading
* Safely Cleans Blouses, Sweaters, Dresses, Lingerie, Activewear, Hosiery
* Use Woolite for machine washing or hand washing
* Woolite is biodegradable and contains no phosphates

* For All Washable Fabrics:
Silk, Wool, Linen, Cashmere, Acrylic, Nylon, Spandex, Rayon & Other Synthetics

My Experiences

When I first started using Woolite, it was to wash nylon stockings. Then I progressed to garments made from delicate silk or that required special care. I try to stay away from purchasing “Dry Clean Only” clothing, but sometimes I buy a shirt, skirt, or slacks with that awful tag in it. I don’t wash all “Dry Clean Only” items in Woolite, but I do take a chance with some of the garments, and Woolite has never failed me.

I’m sure everyone owns tee-shirts or sweatshirts that have those plastic designs on them. In the past when machine washing these garments, the plastic design eventually starts to deteriorate. I find that washing these items in Woolite makes them last longer.

I have hand washed all types of fabric in Woolite. Everything from nylon stockings and silk to rayon, cotton and synthetic fabrics. I do a lot of quilting and make sure to wash all my fabrics before using them. Most of these fabrics are 100% cotton. Sometimes the fabric pieces are too small to throw into the washing machine, so I hand wash them in Woolite and then throw them in the dryer. I also use specialty fabrics for crazy quilting. I have hand washed small pieces of silk, satin and brocade in Woolite to later sew in vests or crazy quilt blocks. I air dry these fabrics since they are more delicate.

Woolite, true to its claims, has never shrunk, stretched or faded my fabric. Garments last longer, too, when I hand wash them with Woolite. They stay looking new for a longer period of time than if I were to machine wash the clothing. Of course, hand washing isn’t as stressful on fabric; whereas my top-loading washing machine exuberantly agitates and spins clothing and linens.

I always use Woolite with cold water. I never use hot water to hand wash items. The bottle says to add a bit of Woolite (about 1/2 a capful) to the water and let the garments soak for three minutes. I am careful how much Woolite I use so that I don’t end up with a sink full of suds that take forever to rinse clean from the garments. Once the garments are cleaned and rinsed, I sometimes roll the garment in a towel to remove excess moisture to aid the material in quicker drying. Other times I spread the clothing on a drying rack. If I am washing a sweater that might stretch during drying, I always make sure to lay the sweater flat so that the wet material is evenly draped.

I like Woolite’s delicate fresh scent. It’s not overpowering and lingers a bit in the air after I am finished washing. I find that the fabric, however, does not hold the scent.

Even though the Woolite bottle says that a 1/4 cup of Woolite can be added to the washing machine using the delicate or gentle cycle, I have never used Woolite in the washing machine. For everyday washing, I prefer using Cheer ColorGuard.

Cautions & Ingredients

Contains no bleach, phosphates, enzymes or dyes. The Material Safety & Data Sheet says that this product contains no ingredients listed as carcinogens. All cleaning agents in Woolite are biodegradable. The bottle is constructed from 25% post-consumer recycled plastic.

If Woolite gets in the eyes, rinse thoroughly with water. Also, keep the product out of the reach of children.

Purchasing

I purchase Woolite from my local grocery store. My last purchase was $3.99 for a 16 ounce bottle.

Summary

I enjoy using Woolite Fabric Wash. It has proven reliable over the years and has never harmed anything washed in it. This soap is truly gentle and safe ... and it makes nice bubbles!

I hope you found this review useful.

Enjoy your day,
Dawn

Please read my other reviews:

Cheer ColorGuard Laundry Detergent