Honey Dew Donuts

Honey Dew Donuts

ratings (2 Epinions reviews)

Honey, Dew Me a Favor and Get Me a Pistachio Muffin.

Feb 25, 2006

Pros:The donuts, pastry and muffins are good; the coffee is better than Dunkin Donuts.

Cons:The flavored coffee has syrup. The beans are not flavored.

The Bottom Line: If you know that there is syrup in the flavored coffee I pick Honey Dew over Dunkin Donuts and recommend it.

Honey Dew Donuts is a chain much like Dunkin Donuts. There are a few differences. The major difference is the numbers.

Some history:

In 1973 a man named Dick Owen opened the first Honey Dew Donuts in Mansfield, Massachusetts. He followed his dad to his dad’s donut shop as a kid and worked in some during high school. Having his own store was his dream. In 1998 he opened his first drive through in Plainville, Massachusetts.

The 140 shops are located in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and New Hampshire. There are about 14 shops in Rhode Island, 7 in New Hampshire and the rest are in Massachusetts. In case you’re keeping track there are 6,000 Dunkin' Donuts throughout the world.

Honey Dew Donuts:

In the last few days I have passed 4 Honey Dew Donuts and went into one. The one I went into is located in Plymouth, MA at exit 5 off of Route 3. It is located in the travel services area and is combined with a McDonald's. Honey Dew Donuts are most often either in a gas station like the one on Route 44 in Plymouth, a combined restaurant/Honey Dew like the one I went into today or stand alone shops with drive-throughs like the very nice one I went into on my way to Falmouth the other day located at 44 Falmouth Road which is Route 28 in Mashpee, MA.

My experiences with this chain have always been very positive. Whenever I have gone through the drive through and asked a question such as, "Does this come iced?" I am always answered pleasantly rather then having the feeling that I’m a bother. When I went into the location today I couldn’t make up my mind about what I wanted. I had heard the woman behind the counter say that she was making donuts. I told her that she could go ahead and make donuts while I decided but she said that she was more than happy to wait. This was the service area location whose booths and tables are shared by McDonald’s. It was spotless and cheerful as I find all the Honey Dew Donuts unless they are in convenience stores or gas stations. Then they just have a counter and nowhere to sit.

When I have a choice between Dunkin Donuts and Honey Dew Donuts I would go out of my way to go to Honey Dew. I am at a point where I will not drink Dunkin Donuts coffee at all and I’m even finding their iced coffee to often be bitter. Honey Dew’s hot coffee and iced coffee is very good. I’ve never had a cup of coffee here that I thought I couldn’t drink.

Like Dunkin Donuts you’ll find breakfast sandwiches, muffins, pastries, bagels donuts and dew drops, gourmet flavored coffee, cappuccinos and frozen drinks. You might find a cooler with beverages in it. On the menu are also bottled water, orange juice and hot chocolate. Each franchise can have different items. The newest item which I found today was the filled pretzel. They come in blueberry cobbler and cinnamon. Other than their coffee if I were blindfolded I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between my favorite Boston Cream Donut at Honey Dew versus Dunkin Donut's Boston Creme. The two shops have a little different selection. For example my other favorite, vanilla cream, is not sold at Honey Dew Donut nor is my favorite muffin, the coffee cake muffin. However the donuts they have are good. They aren’t Krispy Kreme good in my opinion but they are decent. They are much thicker than those made by Krispy Kreme but have the same filling such as the custard in the Boston Cream. The filled donuts are really filled. You won't just find a dollup of filling. Honey Dew Donuts sells 28 varieties of donuts though I haven’t seen that entire assortment in any store.

I was taken by the new muffin. It was a white chocolate chip muffin which looked delicious. When I commented on it the woman behind the counter pointed to the matching donut. I was hoping it had a filling. If it had I would have gotten it but it didn’t. What they both had were white chocolate chips on top. I had a coconut donut. It was good. Unless a donut is stale I don’t think I could ever call a donut bad. The donut was large and covered with coconut. It was fresh though not as fresh as the ones that would have come out had I stayed longer. I also really like their pistachio muffins which are filled with nuts.

They sell a variety of bagels. My very favorite is the French toast bagel which I don’t see often. It is sweet on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. It might be too sweet for many. I don’t usually get cream cheese on the French toast bagel but they sell chive, light, plain and veggie.

You’ll find low carbohydrate muffins just as you’ll find at Dunkin Donuts. The menu and nutritional analysis can be found at the website www.honeydewdonuts.com.

More about the coffee and prices:

As I said I have been drinking Honey Dew Coffee for years. They have two types of decaf coffee which also come iced. Those are cinnamon hazelnut and French vanilla. Their caffeinated coffee comes in chocolate raspberry, hazelnut rum, mocha madness and pumpkin spice. Again these flavors are subject to chance particularly the pumpkin spice. Dunkin Donuts now advertises many flavors of coffee. I have been told that the beans are flavored; I have been told syrup is added. The definitive answer is that the flavor is a shot. Something made me ask at Honey Dew if the beans were flavored or if it was syrup. I was shocked to find out I have been drinking sugared syrup all this time! Some chains such as Mary Lou do have flavored beans. They do not add syrup. Maybe it is just me but I do think there should be a warning of sorts. Why would I think that my vanilla hazelnut iced coffee has syrup in it? I really like flavored coffee. I would not enjoy regular non-flavored coffee unless it is from Starbucks.

A small coffee will run you $1.20; medium is $1.50 and large is $1.80. Gourmet flavors such as pumpkin spice will run you $.10 more. Iced coffee will run you $.30 more than the small. They call their frozen drinks Froosh Chillarinos which cost $2.50, $3.50 and $4.50. The muffins are $1.10 each. The bagels are $1.00 each and the donuts are $.75 each; $3.80 for 1/2 dozen and $5.80 for a dozen. These prices are a bit less than Dunkin Donuts but only by a few cents.

My final thoughts:

Before I went into Honey Dew Donuts I was all set to say how great their coffee is compared to Dunkin Donuts. The coffee is better. I don’t know why since they are using most likely the same syrup. I won’t be buying flavored coffee here anymore which is really too bad. They don’t have sugar-free flavor shots which Dunkin Donuts has. So how do I rate this chain? Being totally objective their coffee is better than Dunkin Donuts; their muffins, bagels and donuts taste the same, they are clean and the staff is friendly. So I would recommend it to you as long as you know what you are getting and now you do.

Feel free to leave me a comment or question.

Another chain I have reviewed is Tim Hortons.