My Top Ten Cheesiest Singles...And Why I Love 'Em!

Aug 22, 2003

The Bottom Line I have schlocky taste in music...I know I'm not the only one!

We all love music, but there are songs, artists and tastes we keep inside for the sake of keeping our pride. But I'm coming forward to give you my picks for my all time top ten cheesiest guilty pleasures. Be warned that these are all songs from the 1970s and 1980s when I was growing up. I'd love to hear what yours are, too!

10.) "Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel" by Tavares. - I found this disco nugget on the Charlie's Angels soundtrack and haven't stopped dancing to it since. It does have a great beat and is loaded with hooks.

9.) "Thank God I'm A Country Boy" by John Denver. - This euphoric country tune with simple lyrics and a frantic fiddle line has long been a guilty pleasure of mine. Hard to believe this is from the same singer who gave us the catchy romantic epic "Annie's Song". Woo hoo!

8.) "Copacabana" by Barry Manilow. - Well, admiting you like almost anything by Barry Manilow would be embarrassing. But this blend of Broadway showtune with disco has me singing along every time. The soundtrack for the 2000 movie Duets showcases a fun cover. Believe it or not, "Copacabana" won Barry Manilow a Grammy. Go figure!

7.) "America" by Neil Diamond. - Of course, this tune has been getting a lot of airplay in the recent weeks. But the tune was used in Neil's first (and last) movie, a supremely horrendous remake of the Jazz Singer. Plus my best friend can do a killer Diamond impression while singing this song. Gets me every time!

6.) "Shadow Dancing" by Andy Gibb. - Gosh, I just want a fine man to grab me and swing me across the dance floor for this number. Andy's third and final #1, the glossy string section was also used for the Eagles' Hotel California album. Couple that with the pumping bass line and Barry Gibb's trademark falsetto on back-up vocals. Need I say more?

5.) "Every Woman In The World" by Air Supply. - I've always had a secret love for the Aussie pop duo. I want "Lost In Love" to be played at my wedding if I ever have one! This sweet little ditty with an instantly memorable guitar opening is one I'll never get out of my head, and I don't even mind!

4.) "Ghostbusters" by Ray Parker Jr. - Which kid growing up in the '70s or '80s hasn't heard this a million times over? My brother was born the week this song was #1 in 1984. I saw the movie in kindergarten, heard the song and was bopping all over the place. I still blast it on the stereo every year on Halloween passing out candy to trick-or-treaters and the little ones just love it!

3.) "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" by Elton John and Kiki Dee. - I first heard this discoish duet on the Muppet Show way back when, and Elton sang it with Miss Piggy (!) My best friend Steve and I tried to sing it karaoke and dissolved in laughter halfway through. I have it on the Billboard 1976 and crank it up every time it comes on.

2.) "It's Raining Men" by the Weather Girls. - When I found out my last boyfriend was married (LONG story), this song really cheered me up. It's so catchy, how can you not love it? Hallelujah!

Before I get to my honorable mentions, let me tell you that my #1 guilty pleasure is one I've never admitted to ANYONE, and feel free to tell me I have horrible taste.

1.) "All I Have To Do Is Dream" by Andy Gibb & Victoria Principal. - This was only released as a 45 back in 1981, and has long been out of print. However, I found a bootleg copy and still play it constantly. I should be outraged. The Everly Brothers' original is gorgeous in every way and is probably my all-time favorite oldie, and while I love many of Andy's songs, he butchered this one. And Principal, not even a singer (the pair were living together at this point) does not get even one note solo. To her credit, she's not as bad as I'd heard she was. For the B side, Andy used a three year old song ("Good Feeling") from the Shadow Dancing album. In short order, the duet missed the Top 40 (stalling at #51), the real life duet dissolved on an EXTREMELY sour note, and Andy was soon after fired from hosting Solid Gold.

Honorable mentions: "Hello" by Lionel Richie, "Hold Me Now" by the Thompson Twins, "Love Shack" by the B-52's, "Maniac" by Michael Sembello, "The Girl Is Mine" by Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney, and "Easy Lover" by Phil Collins and Phillip Bailey.