Dry Cleaner's Secret

ratings (4 Epinions reviews)
Epinions Product Rating: OK

SHHHH........WANNA KNOW A SECRET?

Apr 19, 2006 (Updated Apr 19, 2006)

Pros:Lightly cleans and freshens in between professional cleanings.

Cons:Spot cleaning is a little time-consuming.

The Bottom Line: This is a handy little product to use in between professional cleanings and can save you money.

I have several business suits and other clothes that are “dry clean only”. I also have a couple of white goose down comforters that need to be dry cleaned on a regular basis because we have a dog that has set up house on both of them. Although our dog gets a regular bath, you know you can’t eliminate that dog smell completely and it wears off on anything he lays on. Dry-cleaning those comforters can get expensive at $23.50 a pop per comforter.

Although Dry Cleaner’s Secret does not claim to “replace professional dry cleaning”and is not meant to take care of “set-in” or difficult stains, it can take care of minimal stains and extend the periods in between cleanings which can save you quite a bit of money.

This product comes in a box containing 6 or 14 cleaning cloths. I bought the one containing six since I had never used it before. The price was $9.99 from Walmart Superstore.

Dry Cleaner’s Secret’s Claim:

Neutralizes odors from perspiration and smoke.

Leaves clothes soft and shaped back to their original size

Cleans and freshens four garments in your home in twenty minutes.

Garments come out clean, wrinkle-free and ready to wear.

The patented Dryer activated cleaning cloth produces a safe, non-toxic cleaning vapor that gently penetrates clothing fibers to remove odors such as smoke, perspiration and cooking, so your garments come out clean and refreshed without shrinking, fading or stretching.

What you can clean with Dry Cleaner’s Secret:

This product is safe for: acetates, cashmere, cotton, linen, ramie, rayon, silk, synthetics, wool.

And is effective for: blazers, blouses, dresses, fine washables, knits, scarves & ties, skirts, slacks, suits, sweaters, vests.

What you cannot clean with Dry Cleaner’s Secret:

Fur, leather, suede or velvet.

Anything larger than small pillows and afghans ( I beg to differ-keep reading).

Ease of Use:

You don’t have to deal with any bags with this product as it is composed of a disposable, pre-moistened cleaning cloth that you throw in the dryer with your clothes. This product is non-toxic and does not contain perchloroethylene, the chemical used by dry cleaners.

Sound too good to be true?

Well, it isn’t as easy as perceived if you have some small stains to take care of first. These require a separate step. For these, you have to place the stained area of the garment on a flat paper towel and blot it with the cleaning cloth. It releases some cleaning fluid, which is absorbed by moving the paper towel around. If the stain doesn’t disappear pretty quickly, it is there to stay and you must take it to a professional. However, I have found it to be effective on most small stains.

I have removed such stains as tea, make-up and mud as long as it was a pretty fresh stain. This product claims to be “especially effective in removing oil based stains such as mayonnaise, salad dressing and make-up (yes, even lipstick on your collar).” I could not remove a ketchup stain or some foundation I got on a white blouse.

My Experience:

For regular clothes, such as my business suits, I remove the small stains as directed and throw them in the dryer (four garments at a time) on medium heat with the cleaning cloth. Twenty minutes later, I have clean, fresh smelling clothes that are ready to wear. I have a wool suit that comes out beautifully and there are positively no wrinkles if you follow directions. Overloading the dryer would make this a pointless procedure, as there must be plenty of air space for this product to work.

I didn’t read the box before I bought this product and didn’t realize that it would probably be useless for my comforters. Well, I tried it with them anyway, being the rebel that I am. However, I would suggest you only use it on larger items if you have an extra-large dryer which I have. This product needs room to breathe. Using two sheets with my comforters helps soften and freshen them up and although the cleaning aspect is not so effective on these, it still extends periods between cleanings by freshening. That saves me a lot of money.

I haven't experienced any kind of fumes from this product. In fact, it has a pleasing, fresh scent that lingers on the clothes and comforters for quite a while. I have also not experienced any skin irritation and neither has my daughter who is sensitive to some products.

This cleaner has a money back guarantee. It is a plus for me when a company has that much faith in their products.

Conclusion:

This is not a bad product actually. It, by no means, cleans large or stubborn stains but then again, it does not claim to replace professional cleaning. It is also an extra process to remove the smaller stains.

What I like about it is that if you catch the stains when they are fresh, it usually works. It is so convenient to just throw your garments in the dryer and have them ready in twenty minutes. Many a time, I have had to wait for my regular visit to the pros if I accidentally spilled something on my clothes. Now, I can use this process in some cases and it only takes twenty minutes. It is also a good freshener for household odors.

I would recommend Dry Cleaner's Secret for light cleaning and freshening of your “dry clean only” garments in between professional cleanings. Also for freshening blankets and comforters if you have a large capacity dryer.

Free Sample: For a limited time, you can obtain a free sample of this product at www.drycleanerssecret.com, where you can also find more information.

Other household products: