Pine-Sol All Purpose Cleaner And Disinfectant

ratings (17 Epinions reviews)

this pine-sol-ely let me down

May 4, 2006 (Updated May 4, 2006)

Pros:cheap, easy to find

Cons:disgusting fragrance

The Bottom Line: This is an antiquated product with an unpleasant scent. Skip it if you are looking for a credible cleaner.

When I first bought my house, I wasn't exactly sure what brand of floor-cleaner I should buy. Having no real clue, I bought a big old bottle of Pine-Sol to clean my kitchen and bathroom floors. Everyone has used it and the commercials looked pretty convincing. I figured it would be a great product for my home.

Product Description
From the website: Since 1929, Original Pine-Sol brand cleaner has been cleaning America's toughest stains, grease, and grime. Every time you use the disinfecting power of Original Pine-Sol brand cleaner in your home, you'll smells its distinctively crisp and clean pine scent that lets you know you're getting the real clean.

"Trust The Original" The active ingredient in Original Pine-Sol Brand Cleaner is real pine oil. It's the pine oil that gives this product its amazing cleaning power. You'll discover that it cleans, deodorizes, and disinfects wherever you clean in your home. It's not just about the smell. It's about the clean!

Packaging
Pine-Sol is sold in a 28 fluid ounce clear plastic bottle. The label covers only a portion of the bottle so you can easily see how much product is left in the package.

Directions For Use
From website: Use Original Pine-SolŪ Brand Cleaner to clean, disinfect and deodorize hard, nonporous household surfaces. Not recommended for wood floors.
Kitchen
Floors, counters, sinks and stoves
Bathroom
Shower, tubs, tile and floors
Toilet Bowls
Toilet bowls, rims and exteriors
Tough Jobs
Garbage cans, pet areas and diaper pails

Cost and Availability
I paid about $3.00 for a 28 ounce bottle of cleaner. I bought my Pine-Sol from Target but you can find it in grocery stores, drug stores, discount stores--it's not hard to find. You can also buy it online if you can't locate it in your area.

Ingredients
Active Ingredients: Pine Oil 15.0%

Inactive Ingredients: Inert Ingredients* 85.0% (*incl detergents & other cleaning agents)

Directions For Use
From the bottle: General Cleaning and Floors:
Use 1/4 cup per gallon of water. No rinsing required except on rubber or asphalt tile. For no-wax floors, only use diluted and rinse.

General Disinfecting:
Apply Original Pine-SolŪ Brand Cleaner with a sponge or cloth full-strength. Wet surfaces, let stand 5 minutes, then remove excess. For highly soiled areas, clean excess dirt first.

Toilet Bowls:
Pour 2 1/2 oz. in a bowl and brush thoroughly, including under the rim.

Laundry:
Rub in full-strength on grease spots or heavily soiled areas before washing. For extra cleaning and deodorizing power, add 1/2 cup to load. Use only on white or colorfast fabrics.

Scent
Pine-Sol has an extremely strong pine scent. After using almost the entire bottle, I still can't stomach the smell. It has a very artificial pine fragrance that is strong and lingers for many hours after cleaning with Pine-Sol. That's one of my major issues with this product.

Cleaning Power
I foster dogs/puppies and kittens/cats all the time. The dogs bring an incredible amount of dirt and filth onto my kitchen floors. The old and ugly linoleum floors look dirty--even on their best day. After 2 days of foster dogs running around, they look filthy.

So I turned to Pine-Sol to clean my vinyl floors. The scent is extremely strong and not very pleasant. The cleaner cuts through dirt and grease fairly easily. It is an effective cleaning fluid for vinyl floors. I You have to decide whether or not you are able to handle the artificial pine fragrance or not.

I only kept using Pine-Sol because the bottle was huge and I wanted to finish it up. The scent was unpleasant which caused me to choose other cleaning products instead of Pine-Sol.

Eventually, I just dumped the liquid and recycled the plastic bottle. I couldn't handle the scent for one second more.

My Overall Opinion
I find the Pine-Sol scent to be very dated. It is a strong artificial pine scent that repels anyone with a fully-functioning sense of smell. It cleans dirty vinyl floors fairly well but leaves an obnoxious fragrance in its wake. I would rate Pine-Sol much higher if it was sold in an unscented version.

Pine Sol(R) Multi-Surface Disinfectant Cleaner, 24 Oz

Pine Sol(R) Multi-Surface Disinfectant Cleaner, 24 Oz

Leave your space smelling clean and refreshed with the scent of real pine All-purpose cleaner and disinfectant for use on surfaces throughout your hom...
Office Depot

Pine-sol Concentrated All-purpose Cleaner Pine Scent 144oz Case Of 3

Pine-sol Concentrated All-purpose Cleaner Pine Scent 144oz Case Of 3

Pine-Sol Multi-Surface Cleaner cleans, deodorizes and disinfects with a distinctive clean scent. It cuts through tough grease and grime fast without l...

24OZ PINE-SOL CLEANER: cleaner pine sol disinfectant

40OZ PINE-SOL CLEANER: cleaner pine sol disinfectant

144OZ PINE-SOL CLEANER: cleaner pine sol disinfectant
Pine-Sol Clean Scent Cleaner Disinfectant Deodorizer, 3 - 144-oz. Bottles (CLO 35418)

Pine-Sol Liquid CleanerThere is a reason Clorox Pine-Sol Brand Cleaner has been around since 1929. It works hard to keep your home clean. Pine-Sol rap...
CleanItSupply.com

Pine-sol 40238 Cleaner & Disinfectant, Sparkling Wave Scent, 60 Oz

Pine-sol 40238 Cleaner & Disinfectant, Sparkling Wave Scent, 60 Oz

Highlights:Size : 60 Oz Scent : Sparkling Wave Disinfectant deodorizer It Rapidly cuts dirt and grease on hard surfaces No rinsing required At full st...

Clorox Pine-Sol Cleaner Disinfectant Deodorizer (Pack of 6)

Clorox Pine-Sol Cleaner Disinfectant Deodorizer (Pack of 6)

Pine-Sol Cleaner Disinfectant Deodorizer, 60-ounce Bottles, 6 per Carton. Pine-Sol rapidly cuts dirt and grease on hard surfaces without the need for ...
Overstock.com

PINE-SOL Pine Scent Cleaner Disinfectant Deodorizer Bottle (Case of 3) 35418

PINE-SOL Pine Scent Cleaner Disinfectant Deodorizer Bottle (Case of 3) 35418

PINE-SOL 35418 Features: -Bottle.-Case of 3.-Cleaner, disinfectant and deodorizer with a fresh pine scent.-Rapidly cuts dirt and grease on hard surfac...
Wayfair Supply

Pine-Sol CLO97326 Cleaner Disinfectant Deodorizer 24 oz. Bottle

Pine-Sol CLO97326 Cleaner Disinfectant Deodorizer 24 oz. Bottle

Pine-Sol cleaners work as hard as you do to keep your home clean, leaving a fresh pine scent.