Poorly connected hose assembly

May 22, 2006

Pros:The filter, attachments, portability, ease of use and good suction

Cons:Hose Assembly ($30-40) to replace: Headlights

The Bottom Line: Do not purchase this vacuum until hose assembly is redesigned

My vacuum had performed very well for 14 months until the hose became separated from the black plastic piece that attaches to the canister. This hose is terribly constructed; the hose cannot be reconnected to the plastic housing. Bissell sent me a new replacement hose. (the entire assembly) for $40.00 shipped to NY. I vacuum often and do not abuse my tools, and I do accept the concept of normal wear and tear on equipment but this should not have occurred. It's unreasonable to pull the vacuum along by anything other than the hose and over a period of time, I think there will be several more complaints about the engineering of the hose assembly.
Also, after only a few months, the headlights stopped working. Since I don't usually vacuum at night, I wasn't overly concerned about it - but it is a nice feature. It was much easier to see in the darker corners when the lights were working.
Except for the items above, most notably the hose, I like this vacuum. It filters out a lot of allergens and does an excellent job cleaning and it's easy to use.
I will only purchase another one if Bissell informs me that they have redesigned the hose.
Remember, if the hose separates, there is no way to reattach - the wires also are at that point of connection.
So don't even think of lifting it by the hose and be gentle when pulling it around from room to room.