Tilex Soap Scum Remover

ratings (6 Epinions reviews)

an effective product that has very harsh fumes: Tilex Soap Scum Remover

Jul 20, 2006

Pros:powerful cleaner that removes soap scum/dirt easily, readily available, inexpensive

Cons:extremely harsh fumes that irritate eyes/lungs--even when used in ventilated areas

The Bottom Line: Tilex Soap Scum Remover will make cleaning your shower and bathtub super-easy. . . as long as you don't have any respiratory problems.

When we bought this house, we gutted the bathroom and replaced absolutely everything. The plan was to eventually put up tile around the bathtub--it was just too expensive to add to the list of projects that we did before moving in. We put up a plastic insert along the shower walls. A cheap one. Really cheap. As in, $30 for the whole kit and the most inexpensive one that they sold. We figured it would be fine for the 6 months or so that we had it until we did the tile in the bathroom.

2 years later, guess who still doesn't have tile? That would be me. The shower wall inserts are still up and you can almost see the soap scum building up on them if you look hard enough. I am always buying and trying new products in a search for a product to take care of my soap scum battles. Tilex Soap Scum Remover sounded like a cleaner that I needed to try.

Product Description
From company website: Just what is that grimy build-up in your shower? It's a combination of soap, sweat, body oil and dirt that Tilex® Soap Scum Remover is tough enough to remove. Tilex® Soap Scum Remover dissolves dulling soap scum on contact, so you can just wipe it away--no scrubbing required.

Tilex® Soap Scum Remover makes cleaning tough scum easy, leaving you with a clean, shiny bathroom. Not all Soap Scum Removers are tough enough to do all of that!

----Cuts through tough soap scum FAST!
Dissolves dulling, slimy soap scum on contact, no scrubbing required
--Non-abrasive formula will not scratch
--Contains no bleach
--Dual trigger action: spray for regular cleaning and foam for deep cleaning

Packaging
This product is sold in an opaque white 32 fluid ounce (1 quart) plastic bottle. The top has a spray dispenser with a trigger handle and 2 different settings: spray and foam. There are no refills available for this item. The bottle is recyclable for those who are required or choose to do so.

What Can You Clean With Tilex Soap Scum Remover?
According to the label on the bottle, you can use this product to clean glazed ceramic tiles, shower doors, plastic, chrome, fiberglass, glazed porcelain and synthetic marble. The label shows a picture of a bathroom and suggests using Tilex Soap Scum Remover on bathtubs, shower doors/wals, glazed ceramic tiles, toilets, countertops, sinks, and fixtures. I, personally, have used it to clean only the plastic shower wall inserts and my bathtub. I use another product for my sink and toilet.

The company cautions you against using this product on natural marble, brass, or varnished wood and, of course, suggests a spot test for other surfaces.

Warnings
The label on Tilex Soap Scum Remover does not contain any ingredients listing but a fair amount of space is devoted to warnings:

WARNING: EYE IRRITANT. Avoid breathing spray mist. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling. FIRST AID: IF IN EYES: Rinse with water for 15 minutes. Contact physician if irritation persists. IF ON SKIN: Take off contaminated clothing. Rinse skin with plenty of water. IF SWALLOWED: Have the person drink a glassful of water and call a physician. PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL HAZARDS: Do not use or mix with bleach-containing products. To do so will release hazardous gases. DISPOSAL: Offer empty container for recycling. If recycling is not available, discard container in trash.

It is disturbing to me that the company does not strongly suggest that you use Tilex Soap Scum Remover only in a well-ventilated area or make mention of how harsh the fumes from this cleaner can be for those with respiratory problems or other sensitivities. This cleaner has an extremely strong artificial lemon fragrance coupled with the powerful chemical vapors. I used it with the bathroom window and door open and exhaust fan running--and I still needed my inhaler and a couple of nebulizer treatments to recover from the experience. This product could be very dangerous for people with severe asthma or other pulmonary problems.

Cost and Availability
I paid about $3 for my bottle of Tilex Soap Scum Remover at Target. I see coupons in the Sunday paper for this item fairly regularly so you can save some money if you keep your eye out for them.

You can purchase this cleaner in grocery stores, drug stores, and in discount retailers like Walmart, Target, KMart, etc. It definitely isn't difficult to find!

Cleaning Power
Well I sprayed and sprayed and sprayed Tilex Soap Scum Remover all over the plastic shower inserts. The directions suggest allowing it to stand for several minutes prior to wiping off or rinsing it so I sprayed and then left the bathroom for about 10 minutes which was a nice opportunity to cough a lot, use my inhaler, and try to get some oxygen into my lungs. When I finally went back in, I used the scouring side of a sponge to scrub the plastic walls. I was impressed when I saw how easily the soap scum and gross stains disappeared. I rinsed everything off after scrubbing with the sponge and, again, was amazed at how dirty the water was. This product cleaned the heck out of my tub and shower.

My Overall Opinion
This is a wonderful cleaning product for those who are able to use it. I have used it multiple times and it really irritates my asthma on every single occasion. I will continue to use it until the bottle is empty but I just don't think that I will purchase this item again--unless I can pull the "poor me I have asthma" routine and convince my boyfriend to start cleaning the bathroom for me.