Lysol Disinfectant Spray All Scents

ratings (23 Epinions reviews)

Lysol Disinfectant Spray: eliminates odors and maybe even microorganisms

Jul 26, 2006 (Updated Jul 26, 2006)

Pros:easy to find and use, eliminates odors, visibly removes mold/mildew

Cons:strong scent lingers for hours, overuse can create resistant bacteria

The Bottom Line: When you absolutely need a product with antibacterial properties, Lysol Disinfectant Spray is a great choice!

As a Biology teacher, I try to educate my students about the creation of antibiotic-resistant "superbugs" and how society's obsession with antibacterial products contributes to the evolution of these types of bacteria. I don't use antibacterial hand soap, dish detergent, or other types of cleaning products regularly because I don't think that they are necessary for my health and I don't want to contribute to the creation of superbugs. Good old-fashioned detergents clean well enough for me most of the time.

There are some areas where you simply can't avoid antibacterial products, such as the litter box, toilet, and kitchen sink. I know that these are prime bacteria breeding grounds and want to discourage growth there. For those types of areas, I use Lysol Disinfectant Spray.

Product Description
From Lysol can: Professional LYSOL Brand Disinfectant Spray kills viruses and bacteria on environmental surfaces. Eliminates germs and odors on hard, nonporous surfaces that you come into contact with every day. Kills and prevents the growth of mold and mildew in showers, bathtubs, restrooms, attics, lockers, closets, and damp storage areas. Controls the growth of mold and mildew on mattresses, pillows, and shower curtains. Professional Lysol Brand Disinfectant Spray deodorizes by killing germs that cause odors. It eliminates odors at their source. Ordinary non-germicidal sprays can't do this.

Use Professional LYSOL Brand Disinfectant Spray:
--in toilet areas
--on showers, sinks and counters
--on door knobs and telephones
--in empty garbage cans and recycling bins
--in pet areas
--under sinks
--in diaper pails
--in empty hampers
--in waiting rooms and sick rooms
--in laboratories

KILLS 99.9% OF GERMS IN 30 SECONDS

Packaging
Lysol Disinfectant Spray is sold in 12, 18, and 19 ounce aluminum cans. The plastic top has a button to dispense the spray much like an aerosol hair spray can. Lysol Disinfectant Spray does not contain any CFC propellants.

Directions for Use
From can: It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling. Hold can upright 6" to 8" from surface.
TO DISINFECT: FOR PRECLEANED SURFACES: Spray 2 to 3 seconds until covered with mist. Allow to stand 10 minutes to air dry. FOR HARD NONPOROUS FOOD CONTACT SURFACES: Spray until covered with mist, let stand for 10 minutes, then rinse thoroughly.
TO SANITIZE: Spray until covered with mist, let stand for 30 seconds, then rinse thoroughly.
TO CONTROL MOLD AND MILDEW AND THEIR ODORS: Spray plecleaned surface until covered with mist. Repeat applications as necessary.
TO DEODORIZE: Spray on surfaces as needed.

Scent
This product is available in several different scents, including Spring Waterfall, Crisp Linen, Summer Breeze, Country Scent, Original Scent, and Green Apple Breeze. I have used the Original, Spring Waterfall, and Crisp Linen scents and I have to say that they all smell about the same to me. There is just no disguising that chemical "lysol" smell. When you use Lysol Disinfectant Spray in a room, the distinctive fragrance will linger for several hours, even if you have windows and doors open. Personally, I don't mind the way that this product smells but not everyone will be able to tolerate the scent, especially because it lasts for so long.

What Types of Microorganisms Does Lysol Kill?
The can has an extensive list of bacteria, viruses, and fungi that are killed by Lysol Disinfectant Spray. Some of the nasty little bugs that this product kills: staph, salmonella, E.coli, influenza, strep, herpes simplex 1 & 2, polio, and rotavirus. When you absolutely must use an antibacterial product, this one will get the job done.

Cost and Availability
I paid about $5 for an 18 ounce can of Lysol Disinfectant Spray at Target. Because I don't use it on many surfaces in my home and the product is dispensed as a fine mist, each can lasts me for many, many months.

You can purchase Lysol products in grocery stores, drug stores, discount retailers, home improvement stores, and warehouse clubs like BJ's and Sam's Club. They also are widely available online. You really don't have to look very far to find Lysol Disinfectant Spray in your area.

Does It Work?
Lysol Disinfectant Spray is very effective in eliminating odors, mold, and mildew. I can smell funky odors and see mold/mildew growing, so it's easy for me to notice a difference when I use this product. Nasty smells go away and mold/mildew disappear. For those purposes, I can say with confidence that Lysol Disinfectant Spray is excellent at eliminating odors, mold, and mildew.

As far as the disinfectant and antibacterial claims go, there really is no way to know if it really is blasting away bacteria and viruses. I suppose I could pour some petri dishes and do my own little antibacterial experiment to determine Lysol's effectiveness but it's summer break and I'm in my lazy mode. No one has been struck down by strep throat, salmonella, E.coli, or pneumonia in my house so maybe Lysol Disinfectant Spray is really great at killing microscopic nasties. Or maybe those regular cleaning products that I use are effective in washing them away. In any case, incorporating this product into my cleaning regimen for specific target areas certainly isn't hurting.

I will continue to buy and use Lysol Disinfectant Spray in/on litter boxes, mattresses, toilets, garbage cans and the kitchen sink. It is great at eliminating odors, mold, and mildew and may even be protecting us from other nasty things like viruses and bacteria.