Pledge Grab It Wet Floor Wipes

ratings (2 Epinions reviews)

Now I grab my Swiffer and start mopping with Pledge!

Oct 5, 2006

Pros:Cost; cleaning power; ease of use

Cons:lack of a scrub strip; don't have a pretty scent

The Bottom Line: Save a few bucks and buy Pledge wipes instead of Swiffer!

While I am trying to cut back on my use of disposable cleaning products, the one cleaning product that I really love and works well for me are the Swiffer wet cloths for mopping. On average I go through one 12-pack of Swiffer wet cloths every 3 weeks, which run me on average about $6. Looking to save a few bucks, I decided to try Pledge Grab-It Wet Floor Wipes, which only cost $3.89 for a 12 pack.

Product Details

Pledge floor wipes are packaged slightly different from Swiffer. Swiffer wet cloths lay flat in the box with only the sides folded in. All you have to do is flip up the sides, stick your Swiffer in the box, and tuck them in. It's really easy. However, I've never liked the Swiffer lid as it always seems to pop off and a couple times the cloths have dried out a bit. Pledge floor wipes, on the other hand, comes in a tightly sealed box, and are folded into quarters. You have to take out the wipes out of the box to place on your Swiffer. To me it's not a big deal and more important is that the Pledge box retains a tight seal so there's no chance of their wipes drying out.

Both wipes are the same size, 10 inches by 8.25 inches. The Pledge floor wipe does not have a scrub strip like the new Swiffer wet cloths. The two brands also differ from each other in terms of thickness. Swiffer is thinner on the sides, making in easier to tuck in. Their cloths also appear to be thicker and more absorbent in the middle. Pledge floor wipes, on the other hand, have a uniform thickness throughout.

The scent of the two brands is also different as well. Pledge floor wipes come in two formulations: one with orange scent and one with vinegar. I purchased the one with vinegar and while the scent is not unpleasant, it is just not as nice smelling as Swiffer. To me Pledge has a more "institutional" scent, like something you might smell in the hospital.

What Pledge says about their floor wipes

~~Pre-moistened with cleaning formula to help loosen dirt and cut through tough stains and grime.
~~Quickly cleans your floors to their natural shine.
~~Fast drying and leaves no dull or sticky residue.
~~Can be used to clean vinyl, ceramic tile, linoleum, sealed wood, and laminated floors. (from www.pledge.com)

According to the box, each wipe is able to clean approximately 100 square feet.

My results

Like Swiffer, Pledge floor wipes start out plenty wet, almost too wet. I have hard wood floors throughout my kitchen and large breakfast nook, so after sweeping, I will start by mopping in the kitchen area around the stove and sink where it tends to get the messiest. Pledge floor wipes do an excellent job of cutting through the dirt and grease. After finishing that section, the wipe is still plenty damp to continue mopping the breakfast nook. After I am finished it takes about 5 minutes to dry, whether I'm mopping the wood or the tile floors in the bathrooms.

I had some issues with the Swiffer cloths being a bit streaky but I have not seem to had the same issues with Pledge. I was a bit concerned that since Pledge floor wipes weren't as thick, they would not do as well as Swiffer, but that has not been the case. Overall, I do find their cleaning power pretty much equal.

I haven't noticed any buildup with regular use of Pledge floor wipes either. My hardwood floors have maintained their shine and the light-colored tile floors in my bathroom look clean and don't feel sticky.

The one thing lacking with Pledge floor wipes is a scrub strip. While I don't use it a lot on the Swiffer cloths, there are times that it does come in handy. In particular, I find that I have to do a bit of scrubbing around the cats' food bowls where my messy boys drop their wet food on the floor and it tends to get a bit crusted on. However, it's nothing that a scrubby sponge can't take of. I'd rather save a few bucks than have to pay for a scrub strip that only gets used upon occasion.

As I mentioned, the scent could be a bit nicer with the vinegar formula. I haven't yet seen the orange scented ones in my stores, so I can't say if they're any better. However, the scent doesn't seem to linger much longer than 15 minutes so it's not a big problem. At least all the floor smell and look clean and that's good for me.

Final Thoughts

Overall, I am very pleased with Pledge Grab-It Wet Floor Wipes. They perform as well as Swiffer Wet Mopping Cloths and seem to be less streaky for me. Despite their lack of a scrub strip, I will continue to buy them as they do save me money, approximately $30 over the course of a year.