Comments on Maytag Neptune ( Moldtune ) Washer" (10 total)
  Comment Sorted by
Date Written
Don't buy this model
by auniqueid
I must agree, this has been an expensive, bad purchase. We've had too many troubles, with connection getting loose, board problems and what not. At the beginning we invited a repair man, but eventually at some point I've bought another used machine for some $250 to act as a spare part source (or rather replace mine and making it the spare part source).

If you don't enjoy taking apart your washing machine, measure resistance and connectivity, follow wires and so on (not to mention soldering and more), not having a washing machine for days until it is finally fixed, don't buy this machine.

I hear that newer models are better, but would not venture to verify it myself...
Mar 8, 2006
5:12 pm PST

No Problems
by onecleverrican
Hi folks, I've had my Neptune pair since 1999, and I use my washer on the average of 3 times a week, I have never experienced any of the problems mentioned here, nothing at all they were the best machines in the market at that time and I am so glad I purchased them when I did. We have always purchased Maytag products and never had any problems with any of them.
Feb 17, 2005
12:24 pm PST

Thanks!
by housemaid
I was going to buy this machine, but not now. Thanks so much for saving me from wasting my money. I do two loads of laundry a day and live in a town with no laundromat. I couldn't stand having my washing machine out of order all the time like this.
Jun 12, 2004
1:09 pm PDT

Re: Maytag Neptune MAH3000 Door Lock/No Spin
by lightbay
wow! this one works fine. If you like you can also replace R11, which I think is 10k ohm. You can also simply bypass the lock switch by inseting some stuffing (hard palstic, i used a pen cap) to permanently make the switch on. This make machine to think that lock motor is activiated.
Nov 6, 2003
4:51 pm PST

MAYTAG NEPTUNE PROBLEMS
by techfeedback
The moldy boot problem was corrected with a PHA kit.
The kit included a vented inner door, a new boot with drain hole, and a control board.

What happed was Maytag designed this machine after a commercial style machine,
however machines of this nature are used on a daily basis, hence mold was not an issue. moisture also damaged door latch which caused control board resistors to fry.
If repaired before board was fried, a PHA kit was all that was necessary.
But if control board was damaged then door latch assembly needs replacement too.
Because of the EPA and other organizations manufactures are forced to comply by making more energy efficient models, and because of their use of advanced technology, the average homeowner would not know how to troubleshoot them.

All of the manufactures have had problems. Usually by cutting corners, and using cheaper vendors to build parts for a particular model. It really boils down to how each of them handle their customers. The market is so competitive now. Products that were test marketed years ago usually didn't hit the buyers market for several years after the drawing table.
Now because of the technology boom, its a race against time for manufactures to get their
products out first.

3 points of wisdom for buying appliances.

1) Don't buy the newest model (give em a chance to work out the bugs 1st) The model number usually will tell you what revision the product is. Most bugs are fixed by the 3rd revision. Ask a tech how to read the code on the model number or go to the manufactures website to find out.

2) Don't buy the most expensive, don't buy the cheapest! Go with the midline. Technicians are more likely to carry parts for these appliances on their trucks.

3) Find a knowledgeable servicer, Not necessarily a big dealer. An independent authorized
servicer vs factory is a smarter choice. Independents have to work harder, they get paid by the job, not by the hour, generally they will care about your problem more. Try to find a Tech owned and operated business that only services. In this way they will not benefit by trying to get you to buy anything other that their service. You will truly get a professional unbiased opinion. Also try to find a technician that used a flat rate system instead of an hourly rate.

Remember everything breaks sooner or later. You get what you pay for!
Oct 20, 2003
7:55 pm PDT

Maytag Neptune MAH3000 Door Lock/No Spin
by mtcabrey
This is for all of you that can't afford to get you piece of " " fixed by Maysh"t. Make sure that this is the problem first by removing top rear plate and checking to see if there is a resistor burnt “R11” (near white box looking thing) on the circuit board. What happened is that the “Door Lock Motor” is gone bad and when the motor is suppose to close (to lock the door) it doesn’t and draws to much current and burns up the resistor.
Now that you have confirmed that this is the problem Take off front plate of machine by opening door, remove 2 screws left and right, pull off front plate. Remove one screw top left and top right. Now top will pop up. Remove the two wires on the right sensor and connect together with wire ( I used a nail that I cut the head off of and bent into a “V” and taped it up). Before Putting everything back together, check and see if the drum spins up to a whistle. This should work. The lock light will still not come on but, everything should now work.

SJWEBPOLICE@yahoo.com

Jul 7, 2003
11:17 am PDT

Maytag Neptune MAH3000 Failure - Thanks
by mashuri
Thanks for your insightful and specific troubleshooting on the Neptune MAH3000. It was on the first page when I googled the model number.
I have made the fix and it SPINS -- whee.
I'll call them on Monday and get the replacement.
Thanks again. And hooray for Google.
Apr 12, 2003
3:56 pm PDT

Maytag Neptune MAH3000 Failure
by konnect2
My Neptune MAH3000 (which was purchased in 1998) would not start the spin cycle. I opened up the panel behind the function knob by removing the three screws in the top and two screws on the bottom of the panel. With the screws removed, the panel may be pushed toward the rear, exposing the machine control board. Best of all. it exposes a folded service information sheet which is taped inside the rear panel. This sheet contains troubleshooting info and a schematic wiring diagram. I determined that the spin enable door lock switch was not operating, which prevented the machine from entering the spin cycle. As a temporary fix, I plugged a jumper wire from connector P2, pin 3 to connector P3, pin 7. When the Max Extract switch is switched in, the spin cycle will function at the normal time in the wash cycle. I assumed that the source of the problem was the wax motor, so I called Maytag at 1 888 462-9824 to get a second opinion on my diagnosis. Their technician told me to inspect resistor R11 (in the center of the board, above connector P2) It has been cooked. Apparently this is a common problem on these machines for which there is a secret extended warranty. The technician offered to send me all the necessary repair parts at no cost, including a new control board, even though the machine is over five years old. While I was on the phone with Maytag, I ordered a service manual for $11.86. I'll provide an update to this comment when the parts arrive and I install them.
Jan 2, 2003
10:14 am PST

Re: This is an ok review, but off topic.
by phonoman1960
Well I could do that if I knew how.
My intent, upon taking the time to write what I did of my Neptune experience, was not to rate a specific model or brand, but to hopefully help someone else understand what they are getting themselves into if they by the Neptune or some other front load. Which ever model # they buy. I have spent many many hours on the net researching the Neptune and have found these problems are not just mine, not just with the MAH3000, but with all the Neptune models. That's why I suggested using the net to research a front loader before buying one. Sorry I put my letter in the wrong place.
Apr 27, 2002
11:07 am PDT

Hello
by PhoenixFlight
Thought you might want a nice read on the history of Epinions fairy tale style.
Apr 26, 2002