Bounce Lint & Freshness Roller

ratings (3 Epinions reviews)
Epinions Product Rating: OK

Sounds so good, smells so bad: Bounce Lint & Freshness Roller

Oct 30, 2006 (Updated Oct 30, 2006)

Pros:great protective cover, can purchase refill rolls

Cons:overpowering perfume scent, expensive

The Bottom Line: If this is what freshness smells like, I don't want to smell fresh.

I am not exactly the best at doing laundry. I tend to wash it one day, remember to move the load to the dryer the next day, and then I may very well completely forget to retrieve it from the dryer until I run out of things to wear to work. At that point I will throw everything into a laundry basket and allow the clothes to just sit there until I manage to wear them all or until I have piled about 4 or 5 loads into Mount Laundry and am locked into my bedroom by my boyfriend who won't let me out until everything is put away. Long story short: my clothes are always seriously wrinkled.

What does that have to do with the new Bounce Lint & Freshness Roller? Well, these wrinkled clothes need to be either ironed or they need to be doused in Downy Wrinkle Releaser. Either way, they are going to be spread out across the cats two most favorite places to sleep: my bed to be drenched in spray or the ironing board to be, well, ironed... which means that all of my freshly de-wrinkled outfits wind up covered in cat hair. Enter the Bounce Lint & Freshness Roller!

Product Description
From company website: Bounce Lint & Freshness Roller Outdoor Fresh Scent™
Combine the fresh scent of a Bounce dryer sheet with the pick-up power of a lint roller and you have the new Bounce® Lint & Freshness Roller.

With each roll, scented microdots infuse fabrics with laundry freshness, while the tape removes lint and pet hair. The protective cover makes it easy to store in your drawer, purse, office and car.

And It Has Its Own Carrying Case Too
This roller has 45 sticky sheets wrapped around a cardboard core. It has a large, sturdy, bright orange handle that can be reused--when you use up all 45 of these lint/scent sheets, you can purchase refill rolls rather than buying a whole new roller. My favorite thing about the Bounce Lint & Freshness Roller is that it has a reusable protective cover. If you're like me and you tear off your used sheet immediately after use, you know that the next clean sheet gets dirty and dusty just sitting there on the shelf waiting to be used. Then you have to tear off the unused sheet to get to the newer, stickier one. Now you can tear off your used roller sheet and then cover your it between uses which prevents wasted sheets.

No Outfit Is Complete Without Cat Hair
Okay, well maybe that isn't true but that's what I tell myself so I don't feel so inadequate in the morning as I discover rogue cat hairs on my pants.

To use the Bounce Lint & Freshness Roller on your clothes, you simply roll the sticky sheet across your shirt, pants, etc. until all of the dust, fur, and other assorted debris is removed. If you find that the sheet is no longer picking up lint, you just have to tear off the used sheet and repeat the process with the new one until everything is removed.

Freshness Smells An Awful Lot Like Flowery Perfume To Me
This is no ordinary lint roller. Yes it removes strings, hair, and lint from your clothes but it provides one other additional service: it adds a "fresh scent" to your clothes as it rolls across them. The fragrance is Bounce's "Outdoor Fresh Scent" and the same one used in their dryer sheets. The company claims that this scent is supposed to have the classic fragrance of line-dried fabrics. The only way that this stuff smells like line-dried laundry is if you live next to a laundromat and have fabric softener fumes vented into your backyard 24/7. (My sister has that interesting living arrangement so I speak from experience here.) This fragrance is equal parts floral and perfume scents and is, in my opinion, rather unpleasant... which is why I don't normally use dryer sheets in my laundry.

This roller leaves a moderately strong scent on your clothes but the good news is that the fragrance fades rather quickly. By the time I had gotten dressed, dried my hair, ran out the door, drove to work, and sprinted to my classroom, I could no longer detect the "Outdoor Fresh Scent" on my outfit which was fine with me. (Either that or the initial blast of artificial fragrance temporarily paralyzed my olfactory system.)

Why Do Babies Require Flame-Resistant Pajamas?
Aside from the typical warnings about keeping your Bounce Lint & Freshness Roller away from toddlers, pets, and anyone else who might want to snack on it, the company warns you not to use this roller on children's flame-resistant sleepwear as it may reduce flame-resistance. I don't have any children so I'm not very familiar with these types of things... but I'm pretty sure that none of my clothing is flame-resistant. Maybe I need to look into to getting some.

Cost and Availabiity
I paid $5.99 for the Bounce Lint & Freshness Roller and it was bundled with a travel-sized bottle of Downy Wrinkle Releaser. I'm not sure if the travel bottle was a free gift with purchase or if both items were part of a "clothing freshness" set. $5.99 for a lint roller that stinks up your clothes seems outrageous to me.

You can purchase this product anywhere Bounce laundry items are sold: grocery stores, drug stores, and mass merchandise stores like Target, KMart, and WalMart.

Overall Opinion
I liked the idea of this roller much more than the actual product. The protective cap is a great feature for a sticker-type lint roller and definitely prevents wasted sheets. The super-strong "Outdoor Fresh Scent" is just way too much and not a pleasant thing to experience first thing in the morning. If Bounce offered this roller in another fragrance and with about half of the intensity of this one, I would be willing to try the Bounce Lint & Freshness Roller again. For now, this one is going in the garbage.