Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Mop

ratings (28 Epinions reviews)
Epinions Product Rating: OK

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Mop: The. Stupidest. Mop. Ever.

Dec 13, 2006

Pros:easy to find

Cons:inconvenient design, expensive

The Bottom Line: I'd rather get down on my hands and knees to scrub my kitchen floor with a kitchen sponge.

I'm not looking for much when it comes to a mop. I want a sponge-style, I want to be able to squeeze out extra water easily before using it on the floor, and I want it to be fairly effective in removing dirt from the floor. That's it. I don't care if it's made of advanced materials, guaranteed to last me forever, or inexpensive. Just give me something that is easy to use so that I don't find yet one more reason to put off washing the kitchen floor.

While going through the mops at my most favorite store in the world Target, I came across the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Mop. I never understood what the big deal was about the Magic Eraser sponges but I was still willing to try it for a couple of reasons. First of all and most importantly, the cleaning sponge appeared to be sturdy which meant that I wouldn't have to mess around with buying refills every couple of weeks. Secondly, it had the Mr. Clean name which indicated quality to me. All of the mops in Target's selection were brands that I didn't know. I had tried them all with varying degrees of satisfaction. Surely a Mr. Clean mop would be better than those. Right?

About This Product
This mop is a spin-off of the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser cleaning sponge. The mop head is about 3 inches thick--2.5 of those are a blue "absorbing" layer while the outer 0.5 is a white "erasing" layer similar to the Magic Eraser. This product has a short handle that allows users to reach down and squeeze out excess liquid prior to mopping an area of floor. The long mop handle has a lovely foam-padded space for you to rest your dominant lower hand--the one that is doing the pushing. This mop looks pretty sharp while sitting there hanging in the store.

Who The Hell Designed This God-Awful Thing?
Fresh out of excuses to delay cleaning the floor yet again, I removed the protective cardboard from around the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Mop and prepared myself for some impressive results. I filled up the bucket with 1/4 cup of my favorite cleaner and one gallon of warm water. I plunged the mop into the bucket and allowed the sponge to become saturated with cleaning solution. I removed the sponge from the bucket and went to squeeze out the excess liquid... and that is where the nightmare began.

As I held the mop handle with my left hand, I reached down to grab the squeeze-handle. I tried to pull it backwards toward me and the handle which is the usual direction that one uses to work these kinds of mops. Oh no. It clicks into place against the long handle. The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Mop squeeze-handle was designed to be pushed AWAY from the user. Even better: after pushing the handle away from your body, you then are supposed to continue pushing it almost 180 degrees until it reaches the sponge. Unless you have superhumanly extra-long arms, this design does not put you in an advantageous position for strength to squeeze out excess liquid from the sponge.

In order to accomodate this huge error in product design, I worked out another more effective way to squeeze out the water from the mop head. After detaching the squeeze-device, I spun the long handle with my left hand so that the sponge was facing me. Then I could pull the squeeze-handle towards me which is the logical direction for most effective liquid removal. Flipping the mop before pushing out the excess cleaning solution was definitely an improvement. It wasn't a perfect solution, though, because it caused water to spill out over the edge of the bucket every single time I had to spin the sponge. You couldn't squeeze out the water before flipping the sponge... so you got the spillage.

In order to be thorough, I tried working the mop and squeeze-handle left-handed even though I am right-handed. I wondered if maybe lefties would have a better experience with this product than a righty like me did. Nope. This horrid design is equally inconvenient for everyone!

The entire process of using the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Mop was absurd and a scene straight out of Candid Camera. I used this mop about 4 times and then just threw it into the garbage can. It was just not worth the hassle.

Cleaning Performance
Once I worked out a system to use this mop, it did an adequate job of cleaning the prehistoric linoleum tiles in my kitchen. I did notice that each section of floor required a couple more passes of the mop than it did with my older, cheaper one but that didn't really bother me. I was very disappointed to discover that the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Mop didn't have a scrubbing strip to remove tough and dried stains. The "Magic Eraser layer" of the mop was not powerful enough to tackle anything more than the usual layer of dirt and grime. So, after playing the mop-flipping game to remove the water, I then had to utilize a Scotch-Brite scouring pad to remove big stains on the kitchen floor.

After each use of this product I noticed that the white "Magic Eraser layer" had become skinnier. I imagine that after enough use, it disappears which indicates that its time to purchase a mop head refill. I didn't actually use the mop long enough to determine if that is really what happens.

Does Mr. Clean Know How Horrible This Mop Is?
Interesting funfact: The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Mop is not actually manufactured by the Mr. Clean brand. When I looked up information on the product in order to have it added to the database, I discovered that Mr. Clean licensed out the "Mr. Clean" name to another company: Butler Home Products. I would love to know if they have any control over what items carry the Mr. Clean name and if the Mr. Clean company has actually tried to use this Magic Eraser mop.

Cost and Availability
The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Mop cost $14.99 at Target. Refills for the sponge head were about $6. If you are truly a glutton for punishment, you can purchase this product in grocery stores, discount retailers like WalMart and Target, and even online.

Overall Opinion
This product is quite possibly the worst mop that I have ever used in my entire life. It would have been faster for me to just get down on my hands and knees and scrub the kitchen floor with a sponge than to use the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Mop. I don't care how much you love Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser. I promise that you will HATE this mop.