Age Doesn't Matter, Unless Your Cheese...GMBB

Oct 28, 2002

The Bottom Line If you ever get a chance to meet an Epinions Legend, let it be Granniemose...

I started writing this contribution way back in the early months of summer, Artbyjude e-mailed me with the brilliant idea of putting together a w/o in honor of her mothers 80tth birthday celebration. So many things I wanted to say about her, I knew the only way to do this story justice was to meet her in person. Then and only then could I say, I really know Granniemose and have been graced with her beauty, wisdom, compassion and great sense of humor.

The Epinions Granniemose

We all know from reading her profile page that she lives in North Carolina and has written 108 reviews. A mother of four children, a grandmother and a great grandmother. She would like all of us to believe she is computer illiterate, when in fact she is a Cyber Geek with a gift for writing that most of us would kill for. Virginia writes from the heart and always adds that special touch to a review or story that makes you laugh or cry out loud. She likes honesty, humor, people who think for themselves and adores her two Labs named Chuckie & Whitney. Granniemose doesn’t like people who sit in judgment of others, and what I love about her dislikes the most is: People who classify others according to sex, sexual preference, gender, age, religion or political persuasion. Oh yea, she really hates those aspirin bottles that kids can open easier than adults.

I’m going to meet Granniemose in person

When Artbyjude emailed me in early September and told me her mother was coming to Knoxville, TN to spend her birthday with her son Terry, my Epinions dream come true was about to happen. You read the stories (fragglemom/annexation) and wish you could meet at least one person that you feel you already know just by reading their reviews/stories. Granniemose has always been that special person I so wanted to see. My invitation came by way of email from Leigh Ann (granniemose’s daughter-in-law) to me it was the most special email I’ve ever received. A secret birthday party for Virginia is to be held on October 27, 2002 at 1:00 in Knoxville, TN. I could have shit my pants, would I RSVP? Damn straight, I’ll be there. A twenty-minute drive (ten if I do the speed limit) from my house, now you can see why I’m so wound up.

I Love A Surprise

Virginia arrived in Knoxville a week or more before the birthday bash, she emailed me saying maybe we could get together and do lunch or something while she was here. I so wanted to meet her before the party but the child in me wanted to surprise her at the secret birthday party. This has been the longest week of my life and my enthusiasm grows daily. Leigh Ann called my home a few days before the party (I missed her call) to see if I wanted to have lunch and surprise Granniemose . My teenage son gave me the message the next day, sorry Leigh Ann I so would have been there. Now I will count the days (two remaining) till the big 80 birthday bash and hope I can speak when I get to meet Granniemose in person.

The Real Granniemose

Directions and devoted husband (27years and counting) in hand, I’m off to meet Granniemose and her loving family. First let me say Virginia is not really eighty years old, why she chooses to tell everyone this I not really sure. From looking at her and I’m good at guessing someone’s age, she might be close to sixty on a bad day.

I walk in, introduce myself to Terry and Leigh Ann and there stands Granniemose, decided to give her a big hug first and waited a few minutes to see if she would know who I was. After all the weird pictures I’ve chosen to post on my profile page over the years, how was she to guess…I gave her my birthday card and she quickly opened it and said…Brenda. Not only did the look on her face make my day, it gave me a real life friendship, no longer an internet, e-mail or Epinions one.

My husband and I stayed for about an hour or so and talked and were treated as if we were family. Virginia’s daughter, son and daughter-in-law were so easy to talk to and I hope they didn’t think I was rude because I caught myself talking with Grannimose like I was trying to catch up on her eighty years of life.

What impressed me with Virginia’s family the most is that my husband and I could have been axe-murderers, but they trusted her judgment so much when she mentioned to them she would like to meet me on her visit to Knoxville. I love this lady, she is a dear and I want everyone to know that Virginia is someone I wish all of you could meet. Oh Yea, before she leaves to go back to North Carolina we are going to do lunch, maybe I won’t be so nervous this time and can speak.

Happy Birthday Virginia!!! Now I will be anxiously awaiting the big 90…Hopefully Judith will have many more stories to tell us then.

My Dear Virginia, here are a few of my favorite old Quotes. Don’t know who said them and really don’t care, just know I stole them …

Old age isn't so bad when you consider the alternative.

Getting older is like riding a bicycle, if you don't keep peddling, you'll fall

Old age though despised, is coveted by all.

Getting old is a fascination thing. The older you get, the older you want to get.

By the time you're eighty years old you've learned everything. You only have to remember it.

This is my favorite and after meeting you, it will always be my memory of our friendship. I know the author of this one, George Eliot

What a wretched lot of old shrivelled creatures we shall be by-and-by. Never mind--the uglier we get in the eyes of others, the lovelier we shall be to each other; that has always been my firm faith about friendship

Please check out all the many participants who adore Grannimose and have written a review celebrating her eighth birthday bash. Most of all, please take the time to read all of Artbyjude’s contributions to her mother. Judith, you are so lucky to have a mother like Virginia, but you already know that…

Location: Who Knows?
About Me: Baseball is wrong: man with four balls cannot walk...