Liquid-Plumr Foaming Pipe Snake

ratings (12 Epinions reviews)

A Plumber Came to My Home for $4.99

Dec 18, 2006 (Updated Dec 18, 2006)

Pros:Ingredients separated and meet on contact for strongest action, best results.

Cons:Trying a number of other products before discovering this one.

The Bottom Line: I wish I used Liquid Plumr Foaming Pipe Snake first - one use and clogs are history.

Why I needed Liquid Plumr's Professional Strength Help:

Listen up! I had the worst clog in my shower. We moved in two years ago and the drain was already bad. We removed the drain on a number of occasions just to see old disgusting hair that did not belong to either of us. We tried removing it by hand, but the clog went deeper. Eventually, every time we showered it felt like a bath too because the drain was so clogged.

We tried regular Liquid Plumr. We tried Drano. We tried calling maintenance, who could only recommend the same thing (We don't have the best landlord). The clog sat for a long time, but water still drained very slowly. So slowly that once one person was done showering, the next person would literally step into their dirty water to shower. Our shower curtain had to be changed frequently due to mold growth from the water sitting.

We were ready to demand our landlord get us a plumber, when I saw Liquid Plumr Foaming Snake Clog Remover sitting on the supermarket shelf. It looked different than other bottles.

The Reason I Picked It Up:
It said "Professional Strength." It said "Foaming Snake" and something about the image of one of those pipe snake things plumbers use was very gratifying. The bottle was Gold. And the #1 reason, the bottle was Divided Into Two Parts, meaning two active ingredients that are apart until they are poured into your drain. I envisioned chemistry kit experiments from my youth involving baking soda and vinegar. In short, Liquid Plumr Foaming Pipe Snake Clog Remover looked like it could work some magic.

What's in Liquid Plumr Foaming Pipe Snake:
"Sodium hypochlorite, sodium hydroxide, biodegradable surfactant, sodium silicate, hydrotrope,hydrogen peroxide." The ingredients are separated into two parts and meet on contact in your drain.

Looks and Smell of Liquid Plumr Foaming Pipe Snake:
Inside the bottle, you will see two liquids in separate containers, one slightly darker than the other. The liquid smells like many cleaning products. It most reminded me of my SoafScrub bathroom cleaner. The smell was mild and surprisingly did not give me a headache like many of these products do.

Use of Liquid Plumr Foaming Pipe Snake:
- Hold the bottle so your palm is against the front label of the bottle and both containers are visible to the drain. In other words, you want both liquids to come out at once instead of pouring with one on top of the other.
- Carefully pour into the drain or in severe clogs into the clogged up sink or tub water.
- Let sit an hour for the drain to clear. You will know it is working because 1)The water will slowly go down the drain, and 2) It will leave foam behind as if you took a bubble bath and let the water drain.
- Put on your hot faucet and let the water flush the system. I left the water on about 3 minutes. Once the system was flushed, the smell of the product did not linger.

My Results with the Foaming Pipe Snake:
Despite having a pretty bad clog, we only needed one 17 ounce treatment of this Liquid Plumr. The clog has amazingly been completely gone for over a week and going. Water no longer sits in the tub, our shower curtain is clear, and the water goes down the drain while we shower so no one is left in anyone else's dirt.

Things to Be Aware Of:
- Foaming Pipe Snake is not designed for use in the toilet.
- A plunger should not be used while using this product.
- You may need to repeat the entire process depending on your clog.
- You should not use this product in combination with any other cleaners.
- The product is safe for use around children, but the product should be kept out of their reach.
- Roll sleeves up during use to prevent stains on clothes. Read all warnings prior to use incase product gets on skin, in eyes, nose, or mouth.
- The product is safe to use with almost all pipes, septic systems, and garbage disposals.
- After use, the container of the product can be discarded in your regular trash or recycled.

Interesting thing I learned from Liquid Plumbr:
- Shaving cream, not hair, is the number 1 clogging culprit.

Recommendation:
I recommend this product 100% without hesitation. When nothing else worked for us, Liquid Plumr Foaming Pipe Snake did. It was as if we called in a plumber for $4.99 an hour.