My Top 100 Films (Since I Couldn't Think of a Better Place to Put It)

Dec 23, 2002 (Updated Jul 11, 2003)

The Bottom Line Some awesome films?

100. Life is Beautiful ****
Perhaps one of the most touching and funny movies ever made.

99. Raiders of the Lost Ark ****
The first and best of the Indiana Jones series, and also one of the most influential action films ever.

98. Men in Black ****
Perhaps one of the best sci-fi comedies ever, along with Spaceballs and Galaxy Quest. Men in Black, I believe, is the best, because it never tries to add drama in the midst of the action, it just keeps on going.

97. The Talented Mr. Ripley ****
What an excellent film. The Talented Mr. Ripley has a deep, original storyline and fine acting to go along with it.

96. 2001: A Space Odyssey ****
Although some disagree with me, I think 2001 is the most influential sci-fi film to date. Yes, it even beats out Star Wars influence. But in greatness, it does not.

95. Payback ****
I think some would agree with me in the opinion that this supplies a similarity to the excellent True Lies. It is funny, action-packed, smart, sexy… all that stuff, with a good drama factor. This type of film is one of the hardest to make.

94. Hotshots Part Deux ****
Another spoof on action films, this one beats them all. The “Body Count” scene keeps me laughing continuously.

93. Back to the Future ****
The extremely popular sci-fi that sparked two sequels and several television screenings, Back to the Future is a film that will be remembered through the ages. Christopher Lloyd and Michael J. Fox are an excellent team, and they deliver excellent performances.

92. The Usual Suspects ****
This film started the “Keyser Soze” movement. After this, films started showing surprise endings, so better and some worse then “The Usual Suspects.” But this is the original.

91. Goldeneye ****
Goldeneye is undoubtfully the best and most fun Bond film to date. Audiences have hailed it worldwide.

90. Shine ****
Chances are, this film wouldn’t have reached me like it did if I hadn’t been a piano player. But, anyway, it touched me deeply, and expresses the life of the hero in a way most films couldn’t.

89. Blast from the Past ****
Probably 1998’s most underrated film, Blast from the Past is both funny and original. If you haven’t seen it yet, I suggest you do.

88. The Sound of Music ****
Laugh at me all you want, I still think The Sound of Music is a great film.

87. The Jackal ****
Another underrated thriller, The Jackal gives us intense, shocking action scenes, and an ending that satisfies us all.

86. Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner ****
I haven’t seen this movie for about three years, but I remember that when I saw it, it touched me, with it’s views on interracial marriages.

85. Contact ****
I remember seeing this movie when I was about 10, and thinking it was horrible, because the commercials promised action, action, action and what we got was talk, talk, action. I felt betrayed.
Four years later, I watched Contact again, and realized how great it was. It had an original story, intriguing conversations, and very real results. I loved it.

84. Antz ****
The second greatest computer-animated film I’ve scene, Antz satisfies people of all ages with it’s different levels of humor.

83. Jumanji ****
Another good heart-pounding movie, Jumanji is surprisingly better than the book. I went to bed scared after seeing it in theatres.

82. Edward Scissorhands ****
Tim Burton directs this extremely original film about a man who was being created, but was left with scissors for hands when his creator died. The ending kind of sucks and is unlikely, but the entire movie prior to it makes us not care.

81. Mr. Destiny ****
If Mr. Destiny had gone more into the relationship of the main character and his wife, it would have most likely made my Top 10. But, it chooses not to do this, and can only make the top 80. Sad isn’t it?

80. Halloween ****
I saw this movie when I wasn’t supposed to at a neighbor’s house when I was about 10. It made me become afraid of the dark for about 2 years. I didn’t tell my parents that I saw it until about two and a half years later.

79. Shrek ****
Yes, Shrek is the best computer-animated film I’ve ever seen. It handles fairy-tale humor in a way no other film can do.

78. Airplane ****
Airplane is a horrible movie. It’s dumb. Contrived. Just plain stupid. And that’s what makes it so great.

77. Hook ****
There will probably never be a Peter Pan movie greater than Hook. It is original, touching, thrilling, funny… the list never ends. I love it.

76. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb ****
A movie only Stanley Kubrick could have made, Dr. Strangelove even has fun with it’s title.

75. Carrie ****
Scary and very thrilling, Carrie leaves us wondering whether we should cheer for her, or cry.

74. Misery ****
Kathy Bates is an awesome actress. She is the only reason this movie is good, because of her ability to convince us this is real.

73. The Negotiator ****
I’m surprised this film wasn’t a great hit. It had a great cast and excellent acting, plus great reviews from the critics. Perhaps the advertising wasn’t good enough.

72. Out of Sight ****
As Roger Ebert said, ever since Pulp Fiction, people have been trying to make films with circling time lines and out-of-context dialogue. This is one of those movies. But, it’s the only one that’s any good at doing it.

71. The Sandlot ****
Another childhood favorite. Although the dialogue is unconvincing at times, The Sandlot is still very fun to watch.

70. From Dusk Till Dawn ****
Quentin Tarantino wrote and starred in this film that would have been a lot greater if it would have made it’s second half a secret. Instead, it poorly chose to reveal it.

69. Field of Dreams ****
Definitely the best baseball film ever made, Field of Dreams expresses the American pastime in a way no film ever has or ever will.

68. The Truman Show ****
The Truman was way better than EDTv because it provided with a much more realistic drama, and real comedy.

67. Groundhog Day ****
Probably one of the funnier films I’ve seen, Groundhog Day is original, and, in a way very strange way, horrifying.

66. The Rainmaker (1998) ****
The Rainmaker is probably the best of all John Grisham movies, and it saddens me how underrated the movie is.

65. The Mothman Prophecies ****
The best PG-13 horror ever made. The theater jumped out of it’s seat several times watching this, and it was funny listening to the girl behind us constantly scream. Roger Ebert thought this was a bit of a let-down, but I thought it was awesome.

64. Barry Lyndon ****1/2
Now, I have officially seen all in the Stanley Kubrick Collection. Here, Kubrick uses his vision to give us a vast landscape of Western Europe in the late 1700's, with a great story of triumph and failure to go along with it.

63. Rear Window ****1/2
Rear Window, even today, is still an excellent, thrilling film. Sadly, Psycho beats it by miles, leaving it unrecognized to today’s audiences

62. Not Another Teen Movie ****1/2
Definitely one of the best spoofs ever made, if you know what its making fun of. I couldn’t stop laughing at this movie.

61. Stir of Echoes ****1/2
An excellent horror film, Stir of Echoes would have been so much more popular if The Sixth Sense hadn’t been around the time it was released.

60. Taxi Driver ****1/2
Robert De Niro stars in Martin Scorese’s film about a taxi driver who, through the entire film, describes how horrible his life is and how dark the people are in it. It’s an excellent drama.

59. The Wedding Singer ****1/2
Adam Sandler, along with John Cusack, is extremely underrated. Few people take the time to recognize his talent. That talent is what makes this film so good.

58. Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure ****1/2
Don't ask.

57. Pitch Black ****1/2
Some critics call this movie dumb, boring, and contrived. I call it smart, exciting, and original. The critics can go p*ss on themselves.

56. Jurassic Park ****1/2
One of the scarier movies of the nineties, Jurassic Park isn’t exactly as classic as Jaws, but it’s definitely worth noting.

55. Unbreakable ****1/2
Unbreakable could never reach the greatness of The Sixth Sense, because you expect a surprise ending. I think if The Sixth Sense had come second, Unbreakable would be a lot more popular.

54. Lawnmower Man ****1/2
A lot of people haven’t heard of Lawnmower Man. Oh, well. If you haven’t seen it, I suggest you do, because it is an excellent sci-fi.

53. The Shining ****1/2
It’s amazing how every Kubrick film that I’ve seen makes it to my Top 100 (edit: No, Lolita didn’t). This only goes to prove how much I admire the man. The Shining isn’t his best, but it is very good.

52. The Fugitive ****1/2
This is definitely the most popular suspense of all time, and it’s very well done, with a famous crash scene that will be remembered for the ages.

51. The Matrix ****1/2
No one can help but at least call The Matrix, “cool.” Roger Ebert says it’s too clichéd, since the bad guys never hit the good guys, and the good guys always hit the bad guys, and there’s a big martial arts fight at the end, and the good guy is almost dead, but he somehow finds the will power to get up and fight. WRONG. The bad guys do hit the good guys, the good guys only hit the bad guys at the end, and there’s a chase scene at the end, not a fight. The good guy only gets the will power to fight because he is The One, and therefore he’s not allowed to die. People don’t think enough about what they’re saying nowadays.

50. Grease ****1/2
I remember hating Grease so much in my younger age, then really coming to appreciate it when I got older. Grease is an awesome musical.

49. Pleasantville ****1/2
Like What Dreams May Come, Pleasantville is great for it’s visuals and intriguing story. It’s beautiful.

48. Event Horizon ****1/2
This movie is horrifying and original, connecting space to hell in a strange but believable way. It’s not easy to watch at night.

47. Star Wars ****1/2
Though this set the standard for sci-fi films forever, I don’t think it’s as good as The Empire Strikes Back. Episode V had a better storyline and equal action.

46. Me, Myself, And Irene ****1/2
The critics didn’t like this one because of it’s vulgarity, but I think when a movie is vulgar, it should be rated by how it uses the vulgarity, and this uses it very well. The Farrelly brothers have obviously shown great potential with this film. The three brothers crack me up.

45. The Deer Hunter ****1/2
Some may criticize me for putting The Deer Hunter second to Full Metal Jacket, but somehow the other film reached me more. Perhaps it was because it’s more recent.

44. Joe’s Apartment ****1/2
I would never have thought someone would have made a comedy about cockroaches, but it was done. This was MTV’s first movie, and it is their best.

43. Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones ****1/2
Cheesy dialogue and half-decent acting don’t prevent this from being a fun, great film. I loved it, and it turned out to be the second-best in the Star Wars series for me.

42. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back ****1/2
How much funnier can you get. Though it’s filled with dick, poop, and fart jokes, it is original, smart, and very funny. Kevin Smith is a genius.

41. Psycho *****
Psycho is both Hitchcock’s best and most popular film, plus #1 on AFI’s 100 Most Heart-Pounding movies of all time.

40. True Lies *****
This is probably the best, and the start, of what I like to call the “Mix” films. It has action, comedy, drama, suspense, romance, all mixed in for an awesome movie. True Lies isn’t very believable, but it’s still a great flick.

39. Identity *****
As of now, this is 2003's best- you think at first that it has that old cliche of a plot twist like you'd see in the Sixth Sense, but it turns into something much, much different.

38. The Faculty *****
This isn’t another stupid teen sci-fi horror piece of crap. If you ask me, it takes our little childhood ideas and fears, and transforms them into an excellent movie.

37. Fight Club *****
What a screwed up movie. Good, but screwed up. The ‘surprise’ didn’t come as much to a surprise to me though, perhaps because my dad had guessed it earlier.

36. Never Been Kissed *****
Most will identify this as a chick flick, and it is, but it’s probably the most re-watchable film I’ve ever seen. I’ve never grown tired of it.

35. Pi *****
Pi goes for thrills in the most unusual way; through math. Though it is a short 85 minutes long, it seems like a torturing 5 hours.

34. 12 Angry Men *****
Ah, the great 1957 Henry Fonda classic. 12 Angry Men is intelligent, and silently intense. This is one of the oldest films on the list.

33. Monty Python and the Holy Grail *****
The Holy Grail is probably the most popular comedy ever made, along with Tootsie and Airplane. I watch it about every 6 months, and laugh every time.

32. The Elephant Man *****
I could only put myself to watching this movie once. It’s not the kind of movie you can watch a lot, because of the torture we see a man be put through his entire life.

31. Election *****
Election is bizarre in the way it tells it’s story from about four different points of view and keeps a consistent time line. It’s also very surprising with how obscenities just seem to pop out of nowhere when you’re interested in a scene.

30. The Empire Strikes Back *****
The best of the Star Wars series. Unless Lucas can knock some sense into himself, it will never be succeeded.

29. Forrest Gump *****
Forrest Gump, though I must admit it is a great film, is a little overrated. I must sound a little moronic here, but how on earth did it beat Pulp Fiction for Best Picture? That p*sses me off…

28. The Exorcist *****
I don’t see how people of my generation can laugh at this movie. It take very seriously, and I was actually scared while watching it.

27. American Beauty *****
American Beauty is an extremely touching film about a loser who makes a comeback. A lot of people said I couldn’t understand or sympathize with it. Well, look where it is.

26. Titanic *****
Ha, ha, laugh all you want, I think Titanic is awesome.

25. Amadeus *****
Amadeus is a very strange telling of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, seen through the point of view of a man who, in real life, was one of Mozart’s better friends. This makes him his friend also, but on the inside, he is an enemy, a man who envies Mozart. The movie is funny in how Mozart is sort of insane, and how his wife calls him Wolfy, and how his laugh is. Yet, it’s depressing as well, in the last scenes. Elizabeth Berridge is beautiful.

24. American History X *****
What a deep, moving film. It’s would be hard for this movie NOT to touch a racist man, if they opened their mind.

23. Final Destination *****
Final Destination probably places so high on my list because I saw it in theaters, which is really the only good place to see it. When the few surprises popped up, the entire theater screamed, and every girl grabbed on to her boyfriend. It was almost more amazing then the film itself.

22. The Cell *****
The Cell is an excellent sci-fi, taking a woman and placing her in the mind of a very disturbed man. By the end of the film, we can actually see what makes him so strange, horrifying, perverted, and corrupt, and, like in A Clockwork Orange, we actually feel sorry for him.

21. The Color Purple *****
Spielberg does a very good job of making this movie effective and intriguing. Though it is long and torturing to watch with it’s imaging, it still keeps you interested until the film’s last touching scenes, which brought tears to my eyes.

20. Mating Habits of the Earthbound Human *****
Another one of the most underrated films of all time, Mating Habits of the Earthbound Human is very dark, but it is extremely smart in how it tells us about sex from the view of an alien. It also describes how stupid humans really are in a funny way.

19. The Sixth Sense *****
Most people just stared at the screen in shock at the end of The Sixth Sense. I cried. I have no idea why. I just broke out in tears. Maybe it’s because I know what love really is…

18. Reservoir Dogs *****
This movie’s just as messed up as Seven. It leaves us depressed, and almost confused at the end. We have to take a few moments to consider what just happened. I hope to see it again soon.

17. The Virgin Suicides *****
Definitely the most chilling film I’ve ever seen. I felt like the boys at the end, trying to piece it all together…

16. Vanilla Sky *****
Vanilla Sky is almost creepy, with the strange twists the plot takes. It turns from a quiet psychological thriller into a… I don’t even know what.

15. Office Space *****
The workplace, to me, seems parallel to school, so I don’t see why adults say I can’t understand movies like this. Office Space didn’t revolve as much around things of those sorts as American Beauty, though.

14. Requiem for a Dream *****
Requiem for a Dream is a new kind of film... it doesn't really act like any other movie... it plays like one really long, excellently directed a performed music video... and that is the only way it would work. I was absolutely memorized by this film, drawn in to the last second. It never slowed down at all, it moved at a constant, completely enjoyable pace.

13. Eight Days a Week *****
This film I could only understand because at the time I saw it, I had a huge crush on a girl, and was willing to go through what the hero went through to get her. I never did that, because she lived at the other side of town, but if she lived across the street, I would have definitely considered it.

12. Dogma (1999) *****
I saw Dogma at first, just thinking it was funny and senseless, then I watched it once more, and it actually moved me, and it has changed quite a bit of my ideas, and really opened my eyes. Though some (or actually, alot) of its ideas are silly, you aren't necessarily supposed to believe them; you are simply supposed to believe they may be a possibility. There could have been a 13th apostle who was left out of the bible because he was black. Jesus himself could have been black. And God would probably like people to have ideas instead of beliefs (that's was something I actually followed). Dogma has a thick plot, great dialogue, and is Kevin Smith's best and most significant film.

11. Eyes Wide Shut (1999) *****
Eyes Wide Shut is about marriage, and how sex affects marriage, and about how couples cheat in marriage. All of the dialogue and scenes are correctly in place, and has a purpose in the film. It's powerful to watch the lead character wander through a nude party where people have promiscuous sex. It's moving to watch him investigate what happened that night. It's teaching to see him come so close to cheating and then see the consquences appear right in front of him.
Despite some of its disturbing images, this film is timed very well and excellently directed.I wouldn’t be surprised if I found out Kubrick took it from his own marital problems and experiences, because I have no idea how he came up with them.

10. Saving Private Ryan (1998) *****
Some may feel that it is a cliché to place this film on here, but I've examined it over and over again, and it always ends up touching me. I come close to tears every time, the scenes are done so well. The cinematography is done greatly in the first scene, so that you can see from a soldier's point of view in the best way possible. When we walk with the soldiers as they search for Private Ryan and listen to their stories, we can sympathize with them, and it is painful to see their deaths.

9. Schindler’s List (1993) *****
Like The Elephant Man, Schindler’s List is very hard to watch, and coincidently, it’s in black and white, though on a much greater scale, and it is a much more expensive picture. I think the main reason for this was to increase the effect of the scene with the girl in red, though. However, the film would have still been more powerful in black and white without that scene- I think of it in color sometimes, and an ugly look comes across my face.

8. Full Metal Jacket (1987) *****
Full Metal Jacket is two different movies, in a sense. The first half is about marines at boot camp. The second half is about how one of them survives Vietnam. Because it is only about one of them, we don’t really need the story to be about the same people, and in fact, we don’t really even care about him that much, we just wonder whether or not he’ll make it out or not. Somehow, the movie survives, and made it to my list.

7. Mulholland Drive (2001) *****
David Lynch's 2001masterpiece amazed me from the start. While I'm quite sure I've finally figured it out (I go with the Salon.com theory), every time I watch it, which I'd say is rather frequently, I gather something new from it, and something else in the film becomes another celebration of mine. The film starts out with a heavenly aura, in which everyone is happy, and nothing goes wrong for our "heroine," then it turns into a Nancy Drew story, then 2/3 of the way through the movie, it becomes the most mysterious flick in history. But nonetheless, its beautiful- the words, scenes, and characters are ones that will stay with me forever.

6. Magnolia (2000) *****
I was so in love with this movie for a short period of time, that I considered making it replace Pulp Fiction as number one- then I finally got ahold of myself and realized it was better in its #6 spot. Though this movie goes on for three hours, it always holds my interest- I never started to fade out, because I something always grabbed my attention... an outburst of anger, a calm conversation of exchanged profanity, or Tom Cruise giving a seminar on being a stud. Then there's the constantly changing scenes and the interlocking stories- it all works together so well, and the conclusion is perfect.

5. A Clockwork Orange (1971) *****
Arguably Kubrick’s best. In A Clockwork Orange we follow young Alex, played by Malcolm McDowell, as his corrupted self walks through a corrupted society, and constantly commits crime (rape, murder, beatings), and he eventually gets caught- then is rehabilitated, but brainwashed so that he can barely make his own choices- this film goes out of its way to show how important moral choice is, and debates well on prisoner rehab- we can all see this through its bizarre nature.

4. Seven (1995) *****
Seven has an ending as depressing as any movie ever made, but it really makes us wonder: Yes, the killer was wrong in his doings, but he had a motive, and was smart in how he taught us. He said his actions would be followed near the end of the film. That might not be true today, but they did certainly make us think.
We must not forget how well-done this movie is- the rain, the quiet classical tunes, and then the intense orchestra, and the mystery that grows deeper throughout the film. I love this movie.

3. The Shawshank Redemption (1993) *****
For a long time, my dad talked about how great this movie was. I wondered if it was true. Was The Shawshank Redemption as great as my father had proclaimed. In fourth grade, he let me see it, and he was right. For four years, The Shawshank Redemption was my unchallenged favorite film, with its great tale of the triumph of the human spirit. Then, a movie called…

2. ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES, er, I mean, Pulp Fiction (1994) *****
Old comments: … Came along, and changed my list forever. Chances are, Pulp Fiction will always be my favorite movie, because I’m too proud to let another movie intrude. It’s inventive, funny, intelligent, thrilling, shocking, and is probably most well-written movie I’ve ever seen. If Mr. Tarantino can make something better, I’ll be nothing short of amazed.

New Comments: Well, looks it like this ever-so-great film has been squashed by Coppola's masterpiece. Tarantino, for Pulp Fiction, was able to take inspiration from every great movie to make his own. The best dialogue, and realism that I've ever heard is included in this film, and some of the most intense moments. But, the dialogue for Coppola's film seems to go along with my personality more, so it touched me more. Yeah.
UPDATE

1. Apocalypse Now (1979) *****(viewed in Redux)
Ladies and gentlemen, Pulp Fiction has stepped down from its throne, which it held for over a year and a half. Some would say I finally swallowed my pride, but the truth is, this movie is just plain better. Pulp Fiction is still a great movie, but nothing has mesmerized me, or given the movie experience that Francis Ford Coppola's film has. The camera work, hailing from a fuzzier 1979, is clear and brilliant, and the dialogue is all one endless rant with genius stretching beyond the limits of script. "Apocalypse Now," currently opening my eyes to the fact that there are better films in the world, has told me that it might not have secure spot on #1, but it should be here for a while.

Member: Tom Speaker
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow...