My all time favorite movie (WO)

Jul 9, 2001

Pros:Every bit of it

Cons:None at all

The Bottom Line: see this movie.

Amadeus (1984) Rated:PG
Stars: F. Murray Abraham (Antonio Salieri), Tom Hulce (Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart) and Elizabeth Berridge (Constanze Mozart)

To celebrate my 100th epionion I decided to write about one of AFI's top 100 movies of all time, Amadeus. Then I thought hey why not host a write off, so here is my entry in the AFI 100 top movies of all time write off. Participants in the write off include: willeftk, telynor, Fiona32, Mattels, deaser26, Opalman.

I first saw Amadeus when it was released on video with my grandparents. I was about 10 years old and had no desire to watch "an old person movie". I stayed in the room to watch the first scene and was slightly interested but quickly got bored and left the room. Then a while later I heard it...the trilling giggle that Tom Hulce used in his portrayal of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. I had to go see who was laughing like that and from that moment on I was hooked. Amadeus quickly became, and still is, my all time favorite movie.
This movie is lavish in it's sets and costumes, the actors are great, the story is very interesting (with sex, action, intrigue, humor and sadness) and the soundtrack is fabulous. Everyone should see this movie at least once.

The movie opens with shouts "..Mozart...I confess I killed you Forgive me, Mozart..." and we soon see an old man locked in a cell with his throat cut. Then we see the man giving his confession. He is Salieri, a once famous composer who was over shadowed by the younger Mozart. Salieri is now in an institution, having driven himself insane with guilt over the early death of Mozart. He begins his story with the telling of how he came to meet Mozart and the movie moves to flashback format.

Through Salieri's confession we see Mozart's life played out from his early childhood to his tragic death. A major portion of the movie is dedicated to watching Salieri's jealous attempts to hinder Mozart. Salieri cannot understand why god chose to gift Mozart with the talent and not himself.

The movie is gripping and very well acted. Tom Hulce does a terrific job as the reckless, genius. Elizabeth Berridge is also quite fine in her role as Mozarts wife, but F. Murray Abraham as Salieri is the standout in the movie. His emotions are so well acted, you cannot help but feel everything he is expressing. The only thing that is better then the acting is the soundtrack.

Awards
Amadeus won many, many awards including:
Oscars for Best Actor in a Leading Role (F. Murray Abraham), Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Best Costume Design, Best Director (Milos Forman), Best Makeup, Best Picture, Best Sound, Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium

Golden Globes for Best Director - Motion Picture, Best Motion Picture - Drama, Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama (F. Murray Abraham), Best Screenplay - Motion Picture

Like period movies like this? Then check out Dangerous Liaisons or Immortal Beloved.