Sof Sole Gel Cleaner

ratings (1 Epinions review)

Clean your sole (also your heel and your tongue) with Sof Sole

Jan 26, 2007 (Updated Mar 21, 2007)

Pros:This inexpensive product works great!

Cons:Not a one.

The Bottom Line: Extend the life of your shoes with this inexpensive product that does its job amazingly well!

When it comes to my shoes, Sof Sole Gel Cleaner is like my secret miracle worker. It's the reason why my shoes always look great - even those white sneakers that I wear constantly, and am too cheap to replace very often. Rain, mud, nothing stains those sneakers so badly that Sof Sole can't take care of it. It's simple to use, doesn't cost a whole lot, and works unbelievably well. All in all, it's a terrific product!

What is it?

Sof Sole Gel is a thick, blue-tinted gel. Its consistency is similar to that of a waterless hand sanitizer (like Purell). It comes in a clear 4 oz. bottle. Remove the plastic cap from the bottle, and you'll see a brush-top. Similar in appearance to the brush on a bottle of shoe shine, the brush's bristles are fairly stiff. At the center of the brush is a red plastic plunger. When the bottle is turned upside down, and the plunger pressed, the gel can come out. When the plunger is not pressed, the gel will not spill out - even if you squeeze the bottle as hard as you can (well, as hard as I can), not one drop will spill. This is a good thing, because you don't want any messy leaks.

The gel has a definite strong odor, but I wouldn't call it unpleasant. In fact, it's sort of a sweet odor, similar to some hand lotions that I've used.

As far as ingredients are concerned... well - none are listed on the bottle. So I can't tell you what's in it. All it says is that the gel is water-based and non-toxic.

Uses

I use this product on my sneakers and leather shoes. According to the bottle, it can also be used on fabric, nylon, rubber, and vinyl. It also says "can be used on most other stains" but it doesn't say anything more detailed than that. It does say, however, that this product is NOT to be used on suede or nubuck. Since I don't own any suede, and I didn't have a clue what nubuck was until I looked it up, this is not a concern for me.

How do you use it?

It's simple! Grab a clean rag, cloth, or even some paper towels and get to work! Press the bottle down onto the shoe so that the plunger presses. Squeeze the bottle (not too hard) and you'll see some of the gel squirt out. Then release the pressure so that the plunger returns to its normal position, and stops the gel's flow. Now simply use the bottle's brush to wipe the cleaner all over the shoe. Add more gel as you need it. Once you've cleaned the entire shoe, use your cloth to wipe off the gel. You don't need any water - the gel will come off easily. For really tough stains, you might need a second application, and you might have to apply some elbow grease. Don't forget the heel, the sole and the tongue. I like to remove the laces so I can really get to all parts of the shoe.

Results

No matter how easy a product is to use, in the end, the only thing that counts is how well it works. Right? Well this product amazes me every time I use it. Do the shoes come out perfect? No. Will anyone be fooled into thinking that my two year old sneakers are brand new? No. However, my sneakers do get nearly perfectly white & clean again. I'd say that they end up looking almost-new. I've used this product on shoes that looked like they were ready for the trash can, and I've been able to give them new life. On my leather shoes, this product removes most scuff marks, and makes the leather shine.

Overall

At around $5 for the bottle, which will last a very long time, cleaning many pairs of shoes, you simply can not go wrong with this product. I'm pleased to recommend it with an eager 5 stars.

Final Note

Don't ask me how I know this, but this product should not be kept in the refrigerator. The gel will be virtually impossible to squeeze out until it returns to room temperature.