1~2~3 Sausage Balls!

Apr 29, 2003

The Bottom Line The perfect finger food contribution to any party, bridal or baby shower, family gathering, picnic or any casual social event where you are expected to bring a dish.

As I walked into the bathroom to take my shower at 11:08 last night ... it hit me ... *UGGGGGHHHH* I was supposed to make Sausage Balls for the surprise graduation brunch that the office upstairs is hosting for their student assistant. 11:08?!? Sausage Balls !?!? How had I forgotten? Any other time, I would have taken my shower, gone to bed and stopped at the bakery or supermarket the next day for a store bought substitution. But not last night ... instead I took my shower, brushed my teeth, got ready for bed, and then at around 11:30 headed into the kitchen to make Sausage Balls!

Why? Because I am the Official Sausage Ball Maker of Sanford Hall! Now, I'm not a recluse nor anti-social or unfriendly… but I'm also not overly into the often forced fake social/political office/network farces that pass for holiday and celebratory functions around here. However, it is with great pride and only a modicum of humility that I have - year after year, occasion after occasion - accepted heaps of praise and kind words for my Sausage Balls! Not an event goes by that someone doesn't specifically ask me to make them. Not an event goes by that nary a crumb is left of them.

The strange thing is ... it's an INCREDIBLY, almost embarrassingly so, easy recipe. It's in almost every civic organization fund raiser cook book ever published. Heck, I think it may even be on the back of the Bisquick box. But for some reason, folks here swear that I'm the only one who should ever be allowed to make Sausage Balls and that no social even may occur in which I do not provide them.

So, enough gloating and wallowing in self-absorption here ...
on to the magic of my 1~2~3 Sausage Balls

1 lb bulk breakfast sausage
2 cups grated cheese
3 cup Bisquick or other baking mix

Mix all ingredients well by hand. This will be difficult because there is no additional liquid in the recipe. But be persistent, the mixture will eventually come together as a stiff dough. Add a dash of cayenne pepper when mixing if you want a spicier Sausage Ball.

Roll by the spoonful into balls, place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for approximately 15 minutes. Makes about 6 dozen spoonful sized balls ... or more tiny ones ... or fewer big'uns.

Allow to cool slightly. Store in airtight container (I refrigerate if kept more than a few hours, but I don’t know if it’s absolutely necessary.) Reheat and serve warm if not served immediately. Smile sweetly and graciously accept heaps of praise and admiration. *lol

Now a few tips …

The mixture will come together more easily if the sausage is closer to room temperature rather than completely chilled. Remove it from the fridge ahead of time if possible. If the thought of kneeding raw pork sausage with your hands disgusts you ... try slipping your hands into plastic gloves or plastic freezer bags. You'll still be able to goosh the mixture trough your fingers till thoroughly combined, but at least it won't get under your finger nails.

Use freshly grated cheese, sharp cheddar is my favorite, rather than the pre-shredded bagged cheese. The pre-shredded stuff is coated with something to keep it from sticking together in the packaging … and that coating also keeps it from melting into foods when cooked as well as the freshly grated cheese would.

If you aren’t familiar with Bisquick – it is a baking mix which can be used to make biscuits, pancakes, waffles and other bread-type foods. You’ll usually find it on the baking aisle of your supermarket near the flour, pancake mixes, muffin mixes, etc. Other brands of baking mix will do as well, but you do need a baking mix and not just plain flour.

Giving credit where credit is due …

I have no idea where I first learned this recipe. It isn’t the exact one that Betty Crocker publishes in their Bisquick cookbook though perhaps it was in an older version? But either way … I’m not trying to take credit for this as an original creation … I just don’t know what source to cite as the recipe’s origin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Like simple recipes for yummy foods? You may enjoy checking out these:

Sort of Homemade Chicken Pot Pie

Cutting Board Salad

I cooked a ham that made them Smack their Lips off!!!!

EASY but good - Angel Hair Pasta with Chicken & Vegetables

Quick, Easy & Cheap - Fettuccine Mock-Alfredo with Veggies

Sausage and Cabbage - unbelievably easy, unimaginably good!

Crock Pot – meal ideas

Dump Cake - GROSS name ... great EASY dessert!

Unbelievable Peanut Butter Cookies

Member: Elaine HN
Location: Near Atlanta, GA
About Me: Give me a thrill ... click an oldie or two!