The Linksys Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter is Great!

Mar 2, 2007

Pros:Compact great speed, easy to install.

Cons:Price.

The Bottom Line: If you want a wireless adapter that hooks up to your usb port, is compact, fast, and easy to install. This is for you.

The Linksys Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter is Great!

By

James Zaworski

I had to recently replace my wireless adapter for my desktop computer, and went out shopping for a replacement for my Linksys USB wireless-B antenna adapter. I had liked the previous one, but it ended up getting yanked out of the USB socket and stepped on due to the cord attaching it. I wanted an alternative that didn’t protrude so much.

I ended up going to Best Buy because I had a 15% off coupon for electronics products, and finally found my way to the wireless networking aisle. Here, there were many choices and prices. Of course, price was a big factor, but also compatability. There were plenty of Belkin, Linksys, and Netgear products available, in a myriad assortment and plethora of price. After reading the details for most of them, I chose this Linksys Compact Wireless-G because it was the most compatible with my Linksys wireless-G network router at home.

What I Like About the Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter.

It’s Compact!

Yes, indeed, it is compact in size. About the size of your typical USB flash disk, the Linksys Compact Wireless G USB Adapter fits right in to the USB port on the back, or in my desktop case, front of your computer. No more wires to worry about, no more accidental disconnections. It’s great, just plug it in after you install the software.

Speed.

At 2.4 GHz, the 802.11g connection is excellent. My desktop is a full fifty feet away from the wireless router, and the connection is always smooth, and fast, averaging 58 Mbps. This is the same wireless router hub that served my previous Linksys B, and the best that the B could do was 11 Mbps, so this is a marked improvement for me. I’ve never surfed so fast on this network.

Installation.

All you do to install this is firstly to install the software with the CD-ROM that is provided, then plug in your Linksys Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter, input your WPA code if you have one, and you are connected. The process took me three minutes from software installation to being connected. Cool and easy.

Compatibility.

This wireless adapter runs great on all Windows models beyond 98. It runs great on XP.

What I don’t like about the Linksys Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter.

Price.

This thing costs $69.99 retail. The last one I bought, a notebook wireless adapter, cost half this much. However, I wanted to get my desktop up and running again on the internet, and the only other choice for me was dial up, and I cannot go back to that glacier like pace for my internet surfing.

Caution.

There is another Linksys Compact USB Wireless G USB Adapter that claims to run 33% faster. It costs $6 more and was very tempting. I almost bought it until I read the fine print on the box, that one will only run 33$ faster if it is associated with a special accelerated main wireless g router. So, I’m glad I read the fine print and got this one.

So, all in all, I am pleased with my Linksys Compact Wireless G USB Adapter.
It is small, there are no wires, plugs right into your USB port, is easy to install, has great speed, but is a wee bit pricey. But overall, it is a definite plus.