LiteOn DD-A100GX DVD Recorder/Player

LiteOn DD-A100GX DVD Recorder/Player

ratings (2 Epinions reviews)

A Compact-size DVD Recorder/Player -- small and packed with options

Mar 4, 2007 (Updated Jul 7, 2010)

• Sound:
  • Picture Quality:

Pros:quiet operation, compact size, versatile recording options, can hook up a camcorder

Cons:installation was not trouble-free; does not automatically adjust for Daylight Savings Time

The Bottom Line: Updated: July 7, 2010. I am enjoying this LiteOn recorder/player. Much better than a VCR!

My brother keeps pulling me farther into the 21st Century ... and I love him for it! About three months ago, he and my sister-in-law gave me a LiteOn DVD Recorder/Player (Model # DD-A100GX) as a gift. I did not know what I was missing until I had this.

Description

I am still amazed at how small this unit is. It measures 11" wide x 2" high x 10" deep, and it is lightweight at about 4 1/2 pounds. The outer casing color is a white and silver combination. This DVD recorder/player holds one disc at a time.

The front of the machine has a clean-cut design. There is an on/off button, play/record indicator, timer record indicator, disc tray with open/close button. A flip-down door conceals a DV-Link (IEEE 1394) jack and Line in (Video/Audio L/R) jacks.

The back of the machine has VHF/UHF IN/Out jacks, Digital Audio Out (Coaxial) jack, AV input (Video/Audio L/R) jacks, Comp Out (Components) jacks, AV Output (Video/Audio L/R) jacks, AC IN terminal.

The machine came in a small cardboard box that is easy to carry. The package contained:

* DVD Recorder/Player
* Remote Control with 2 batteries
* Audio/Video cable
* Power Cord
* Antenna Cable
* One DVD disc
* Quick Start Guide
* Users Manual (54 pages)

Play & Record Formats

This machine handles a large variety of formats. Perhaps it is best to state what it will NOT play: unfinalized discs recorded on other DVD/CD recorders, DVD audio discs, Photo CDs, DVD-Video discs with a region code not supported by the recorder, DVD-RAMs, Data discs, standard SACDs (hybrid type of SACDs can be played as normal audio CDs).

Playback Formats

DVD-video, DVD-R/ RW, DVD-R/-RW, DVD R DL (Double Layer), Video CD (VCD), Super Video CD (SVCD), Audio CD, CD-R/-RW

MPEG-1, MPEG-2 (.VOB/ .DAT/ .MPG), MPEG-4 (.AVI/ .DIV/ .DIVx), MP3, JPEG (JPG)

It will playback WMA files -- but not WMA files that are protected or WMA lossless files. Also, MP3 file bitrates have to be 8Kbps - 320Kbps.

Recording Formats

DVD-R/ RW, DVD-R/-RW, DVD R DL (Double Layer)

There is a "Recommended Disc List" at the back of the User Manual. It provides brand names, the manufacturer ID and the media speed of suggested discs for use.

Depending upon the option selected, a DVD disc can record for 1, 2, 3, 4 or 6 hours. There is also a "Just Fit" option for timed recordings.

Remote Control

The remote is smaller than some at 2 1/8" wide x 6 3/4" high x 1" deep. The buttons are easy to push and read. It has the usual buttons including a timer, VCR Plus and Edit button. It takes 2 AA batteries that are easy to insert into the back of the remote. Note: the two batteries that came in the package were dead. So if the remote is not working, replace the batteries with new ones.

Installing the Machine

What should have been a straightforward install became problematic. I have a Panasonic television and cable box. Prior to this DVD recorder/player, I had a VCR and a DVD recorder (play only) installed. I had hoped to retain the VCR as well as this new LiteOn player/recorder. Unfortunately, no matter how I tried to configure the system, the VCR would not work. I finally gave up and only installed the DVD player/recorder so that it worked with the television and cable box.

The Users Manual includes several pages of installation instructions with diagrams. Step 1) Connecting Antenna/Satellite Cables, 2) Connecting the Video Cable, 3) Connecting the Audio Cable, 4) Connecting the Power Cord. There is also a section for connecting the machine to external devices: 1) Connecting to VCR/V8 Camcorder/DVD Player, and 2) Connecting to DV (Digital Camcorder).

My Experiences

I am enjoying this DVD recorder/player. If I had to pick the part I most disliked, it would be the installation. Trying to connect the television, cable box, VCR and the new recorder was a pure headache. Once I eliminated the VCR from the equation, setup was a breeze.

The DVD recorder/player is easy to use. The User Manual is a great help in getting started. It walked me through setting the auto clock so that the DVD machine could receive accurate time updates from television channels. I was able to easily scan the television channels into the DVD machine memory. It is also possible to disable selected television channels or to set up the VCR Plus System.

I am delighted with the recording capability, too. A nice feature is the editing ability. I can create titles for recordings to better keep track of them. The recorder automatically inserts chapter marks; however, I can manually insert extra chapter marks by pressing the edit button during recording. This system is quiet, too. I can set a timed recording during the evening hours and not be bothered by machine noise.

Movies and images look great. I have no complaints about quality. This recorder has reliably performed for me. My brother, who also owns this model machine, suggested that I place the date on recordable DVDs when I started to use them to record/erase/record television shows. He found that a DVD, when repeatedly used to record programs, lasted about a year before showing signs of wear ... such as skipping or not recording as it should. This is not a fault of the machine, but a condition produced by natural wear-and-tear of the recordable DVD.

Just a note (added March 23, 2007) -- This DVD recorder/player did not automatically adjust for Daylight Savings Time. I wondered why my recorded programs were not starting on time. It's an easy "fix". Just press the Setup button on the remote and click on the clock option. Using the number keys, enter the correct time and select Exit. The new time is set! I just wish it had automatically adjusted the time ... a minor inconvenience.

Purchasing

This DVD recorder was a gift, but I know that it cost about $80 when purchased.

Update -- July 27, 2010

I thought you'd like to know that this DVD recorder/player is still working great. I'm very pleased with it.

Summary

Now that I own this LiteOn DVD recorder/player, I cannot imagine going back to using a VCR. The DVD recorder is much quieter, and I can create chapter marks to easily maneuver through a recording. I can also title the DVD recordings to better keep track of what is on the discs. I am very happy with this recorder.

I hope you found this review useful.

Enjoy the day,
Dawn

Additional Specifications:

Power Supply: AC 100-120V 60Hz
Power Consumption: Approx. 36W (opertion)
TV Format: NTSC
Signal-Noise (1kHz): 90dB
Dynamic Range (1kHz): 80dB
Channel Separation (1kHz): 110dB
Total Harmonic Distortion (1kHz): -65dB

Please read my other reviews:

Philips Portable DVD Player with Screen