Difficult Setup and Wireless Security Doesn't Work

Mar 13, 2007

Pros:Without security, fast and powerful wireless; reasonable price

Cons:Difficult set up; wireless security features don't work

The Bottom Line: Avoid it - difficult to set up and wireless security doesn't work; Tech Support tried to talk me into using it unsecured

I set up my last wireless router, a Linksys B-band, in about 20 minutes with no problem in 2003. That was my first wireless router, and after 3 1/2 years, 2 of the 4 wired ports went out, so I needed a new router. This Dlink WBR-2310 took me a few hours to set up, and even then one of my computers wouldn't connect wired. I spent over an hour on the phone with tech support, and finally got the wired connections to work, but then the wireless stopped working. I just got off the phone after another 35 minutes with tech support, and they confirmed that the reason the wireless stopped working is I am trying to use the "Hide SSID", "Shared WEP Key", and 128bit encryption functions. None of these work - I cannot use wireless if I try to use any of them. I can only use wireless when I broadcast my SSID, use an "Open" WEP key, and 64bit. Also annoying, you have to unplug the router every time you change one of the setup settings or it doesn't save them - unplug, wait 10s, plug back in, wait 25s...
It wasn't my problem - these security features just don't work. I'm taking it back.