The Top Fifty Best RPGs Ever: The Greatest Role Playing Games of All Time

by
Jun 19, 2003 (Updated Jan 28, 2014)

Popular Products in Video Games
The Bottom Line These are the top 50 best RPGs of all time.

I'm not going to bore you with an introduction this time; here are the greatest RPGs of all time, bar none.

#50. - Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest Full Review

As the Final Fantasy series was just beginning to make a name for itself in the US, the American division of Squaresoft decided to treat this audience to an all new Final Fantasy game, this game is Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. Most gamers will argue that this is one of the worst games ever to bear the Final Fantasy name, but a select few of us can see the magic in this quest. Keep in mind though, this game is a beginners RPG, but it is still plenty enjoyable, especially near the end.

#49. - Dragon Warrior VII
Dragon Warrior VII Full Review

While Final Fantasy may be the most popular RPG worldwide, Dragon Warrior is the dominant force in it's homeland of Japan. The Dragon Warrior series has never really been able to take off outside of Japan, but hopefully this will change with the merger of Squaresoft and Enix. Dragon Warrior VII is an old school RPG at heart, but isn't really appreciated outside of the hardcore gamer crowd, despite the fact that it is a wonderful game.

#48. - Earthbound
Earthbound Full Review

Earthbound is not an easy sale - it's a very unique and bizarre role playing game with an aesthetic style so weird that many gamers won't make it past the first few hours of the game. If you do manage to make it further than that you're in for one insane ride through what is probably the strangest RPG of all time. Earthbound is fun, unique, and genuine and should not be missed by any serious fan of role playing games. It's too bad that not many people have actually given this one a chance because it really deserves it.

#47. - Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy VIII Full Review

My my how my tastes in games have changed lately, as I would never have included this game on my list a year ago. I guess you could say that I've started warming up to Final Fantasy VIII, as it's not quite as bad as I remember it being anymore. Final Fantasy VIII was, however, a huge disappointment after Final Fantasy VII, it's like getting the bronze when you were expecting the gold. I'm glad that Squaresoft steered Final Fantasy IX away from the futuristic environments that seemed to be taking over the Final Fantasy world.

#46. - Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire Versions
Platform: Gameboy Advance
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire Full Review

Yeah, so maybe I shouldn't have mentioned this series again on the list, but I assure you, this is the last time that you will be hearing about it on here. With the upgrade in portable hardware, Nintendo was able to make the best Pokemon game available today. Don't let the childish overtones fool you, these versions are much more difficult and have a lot more to them than the past incarnations of this series, and I recommend picking them up while they're hot.

#45. - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Platform: Gamecube
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker Full Review

Nintendo shocked the world when they first showed off their latest spin to the Zelda universe in all it's cel shaded glory, but doesn't Nintendo realize that the industry is quickly becoming cel jaded? To tell you the truth, for a Zelda game, this one isn't as good as the rest, but it's still a trip to play through. The Wind Waker sets itself apart from the other Zelda games by covering the world of Hyrule in cel shaded water and this forces Link to travel from place to place by sailing on a talking sailboat, whereas Link could simply walk from place to place in the older Zelda games. The Wind Waker is a solid title and is definitely a great addition to the Gamecube library.

#44. - Chrono Cross
Chrono Cross Full Review

Chrono Trigger is one of the greatest RPGs to ever rock the industry, and any company that wouldn't want to milk the franchise is downright blind, and so as everyone expected, Squaresoft finished work on a not so worthy sequel just a few years ago. Chrono Cross isn't exactly a bad game (would it really be on this list if it wasn't?) but it definitely is nowhere near the quality of Chrono Trigger. With Chrono Cross I was kind of hoping for more of a direct sequel to Chrono Trigger, but I guess you can't get everything you ask for.

#43. - Shining Force III
Camelot
Platform: Sega Saturn

While Shining Force III is a strategy game, it feels enough like an RPG to include here on this list. As I've stated in the past, Sega really likes to screw over their fans by making obvious mistakes constantly, like for example, when they decided to translate only one scenario of this game (there are three in Japan) for US gamers, luckily for me I found the other two scenarios on import and bought them instantly, but the game really loses some flair when you can't understand anything that's going on in the story. Shining Force III is one of the must haves for the Sega Saturn, you should at least pick up the translated scenario one.

#42. - Tales of Symphonia
Namco
Platform: Nintendo Gamecube
Tales of Symphonia Full Review

The Gamecube was well known for greatly lacking in the RPG department, but thanks to Namco's support the console was able to score what is easily one of the finest role playing games of last generation. Tales of Symphonia takes the classic Tales formula and puts it in full 3-D, complete with new characters, new moves, a new storyline, and a completely new world. The game is intensely fun and despite some minor flaws it is definitely worth checking out, even for those who aren't huge fans of the genre.

#41. - Phantasy Star Online (All Versions)
Platform: Dreamcast, Xbox, Gamecube
Phantasy Star Online Episodes I and II Full Review

For a while there I regretted purchasing my Dreamcast, well that is until I had the honor of playing Skies of Arcadia, Grandia II and Phantasy Star Online. These three games made me forget all about the dreamy console's demise, as I was too busy playing games to care. I do have to say though that I logged far more hours into Phantasy Star Online than I did the other too. Phantasy Star Online was not only my first online RPG, but it was also the first game that I had ever had the opportunity to play online. By all means, pick up the superior Gamecube and Xbox versions.

#40. - Final Fantasy Legend III
Platform: Gameboy

Now this is going to surprise a few of you when I say this; not all games on the Gameboy were shovelware. Furthermore, I can imagine that it is difficult to believe that one of the Final Fantasy games on the gameboy is worth playing, but trust me, Final Fantasy Legend III is a surprisingly long and fun game. Some may disagree with this game's placement on this list, but I feel that it is justified, and Legend III is the only installment of the gameboy Final Fantasy series that is actually worth playing, it even has a minor class changing system.

#39. - Kingdom Hearts
Platform: Playstation 2
Kingdom Hearts Full Review

Disney and Squaresoft, what do these two companies really have in common? Well for one thing, lately both of them have hyped up their products but have not delivered the goods. I was personally surprised with what these two companies were able to create when they combined their finest aspects; the Disney magic and the Squaresoft talent, for the first time in years I was not let down by them. Kingdom Hearts is a very fun action RPG, but you either love it or you hate it, there's really no in between when it comes to this game, personally I like it.

#38. - Secret of Mana
Platform: Super Nintendo

Back in the early days of the Super Nintendo Squaresoft proved to the world that Nintendo's Zelda wasn't quite so untouchable. Secret of Mana is actually the second game in the series, with Final Fantasy Adventure for the Gameboy being the first (avoid FF Adventure). What set Secret of Mana apart from other action oriented RPGs is that it offered up multiplayer modes, and so the romp through the quest wasn't quite so lonely. Even though this is a good game please avoid Legend of Mana on the Playstation, man that game sucks.

#37. - Breath of Fire II
Capcom
Platform: Super Nintendo, Gameboy Advance

The 16-bit era of gaming was the best for RPGs, as these games just seemed to lose some magic once they became 3-D movie watching adventures. Breath of Fire II is one of the few RPGs that can catch the essence of this time period perfectly. This game may appear rather simplistic (the translation job doesn't help any), and the storyline isn't what I would consider to be top notch, but Breath of Fire II shines brightly in the gameplay department. There really isn't too much more you can say about this little page of history.

#36. - Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star II Full Review

While I've actively disliked this game in the past a recent playthrough sold me on it. Phantasy Star II is very similar to the original but the hardware change brings with it numerous enhancements. Gone are the 3D dungeons and you would think the new 2D ones would be easier but you would be wrong. This game is one of the most difficult RPGs around. Thankfully the combat system is a lot of fun and the story is absolutely phenomenal because otherwise it wouldn't be worth playing. This is one of the best RPGs available on Sega's 16-bit console.

#35. - Suikoden V
Platform: Playstation 2
Suikoden V Full Review

This generation has arguably been the worst yet for RPGs, and the release of Suikoden III and IV proved that the series was not invulnerable to the trend. You can imagine how surprised I was to see Konami not only redeem themselves, but create one of the greatest RPGs of all time. Suikoden V takes all that was great with Suikoden, and either makes use of it or takes another approach. This is classic Suikoden stuff here people, and be sure not to miss out on what is easily one of the greatest PS2 RPGs ever.

#34. - Phantasy Star 4
Platform: Sega Genesis

A lot of hardcore Phantasy Star fans will probably get angry at me for saying this, but part four in the series is the only one that I could really stand. That's not to say that the other games in the series are bad, but I just couldn't really get into them. Phantasy Star 4 was the last true Phantasy Star game made for console; I would love to see a Phantasy Star 5 made for this generation, but we all know how Sega doesn't like to make it's fans happy, and this would send them over the top.

#33. - Dragon Warrior
Platform: Nintendo, Gameboy Color
Dragon Warrior Full Review

Many will argue that by today's standards this game is almost unplayable, but I wouldn't quite say that. This is really one of the first turn based RPGs to ever hit a console, and while the game has not aged particularly well, it's still a treat to play through in this day and age, especially if you play through the gameboy color version which is just easier to look at, sadly enough. Dragon Warrior was actually my second RPG, it saddens me that this series has not hit the mainstream like Final Fantasy did so many years ago.

#32. - Tales of Phantasia
Namco
Platform: Gameboy Advance

This was another of those RPG gems that was never originally released stateside. Since then the game was actually brought over for the Gameboy Advance much to the delight of fans. Tales of Phantasia is much different from other RPGs released in this era, as it had a very unique battle system; the battles took place on a 2-Dimensional area where you could move only left or right, and all action was realtime. Tales of Phantasia actually rivals the older Final Fantasy games when it comes to gameplay.

#31. - Grandia II
Platform: Dreamcast, Playstation 2
Grandia II Full Review

When I first saw Grandia II in the form of screenshots I believed that there was hope yet for Sega's dreamy console, man was I mistaken. Grandia II is still a very fun game though, but I probably wouldn't be thinking this way if I had played Skies of Arcadia first. Grandia II doesn't rely as much on cinematics as much as the modern Final Fantasy; there is a little of FMV in the game but hardly as much as the first disc of Final Fantasy VII alone. The best part of Grandia II is the Game Arts signature style battle system. It's really too bad that Grandia Xtreme turned out so bad, heres to hoping a competent Grandia sequel is released in the future.

#30. - Final Fantasy III
Platform: Nintendo DS
Final Fantasy III Full Review

Final Fantasy V may be the better game in terms of depth, but let's not sell part 3 short. Originally released for the Famicom in Japan, but since translated into English via a release on the Nintendo DS this game is one of the early FF titles. As such it is hard as nails, features the most excellent job system, and has some really cleverly designed dungeons within. FFIII is by far one of the best games in the series.

#29. - Terranigma
Platform: Super Nintendo

Terranigma belongs to a three game series on the Super Nintendo, and while a lot of people believe this to be the shining star of the three games, Terranigma is my least favorite of the trio. Terranigma is a terrific action based RPG which seems to be much in the vain of the older Zelda titles. Terranigma featured great graphics for it's time, but it never really managed to hold my attention as well as Soul Blazer or Illusion of Gaia, but it most certainly deserves a spot on this list.

#28. - Lufia and The Fortress of Doom
Taito
Lufia & the Fortress of Doom Full Review

If Taito had just kept up with the industry they could have made a big name out of their Lufia series, but alas, Lufia seems to have died out (I don't like to count the two Lufia games on Gameboy color/Advance). Lufia brought some very unique dungeon designs to the table, filled with puzzles and monsters, but the story really wasn't much to be concerned with. Lufia does, however, get off to a very strong start, and this was enough to hold my attention. If you get the chance you should check this game out.

#27. - Xenogears
Platform: Playstation

I only decided to purchase this game after reading almost hundreds of glowing recommendations for it, but after leaving the experience I can honestly say that I'm disappointed with this game, but come on, after reading so many praises for it I was expecting the second coming of Jesus Christ. I am actually very surprised that this game was even released over here, you all know how bad congressmen are about games with violence and bashing of religion. Xenogears is no mere game, it is an experience.

#26. - Super Mario RPG: Legend Of The Seven Stars
Super Mario RPG Full Review

When I first heard of Super Mario RPG from a friend (I was in the fifth grade at the time) I didn't believe that the game existed. Once I found the game at my local video rental store I finally started believing, and so I picked the game up. Man, this is one of those few games that can completely take over your life for hours on end, the night that I rented this game was the first time I had ever stayed up all night in my life. The combining of Squaresoft's RPG talent and Nintendo's popular Mario franchise is one of the best things to come from both companies in a very long time.

#25. - Shining Force II
Sonic Team
Platform: Sega Genesis

Surprisingly enough, part II in the series blows away both the original and part III. Shining Force II is worlds beyond the original, with pretty good graphics (for the Genesis anyways), and a decent storyline. The combat system stayed pretty much the same though, but it never required any tweaking because the original had it down pat. Even though I like the Super Nintendo a whole lot more than the Genesis, I have to say that this game outdoes all strategy games on my beloved SNES. If the Genesis only had more RPGs that didn't have the words "Phantasy", or "Star" in their titles than maybe I would have given it more of a chance when I was a child.

#24. - Suikoden
Suikoden Full Review

Just two days ago I was finally able to talk one of my not so close friends into lending me their copy of the original Suikoden, the only installment of the series that I had yet to have played through. I've spent these last two days playing the game non stop, and after putting down the game for a while I can say that it is the 2nd best in the series. Suikoden is a brilliant militaristic RPG, and while not quite as clever as Suikoden II, it still offers up a very rewarding experience to all those who can get past the sprite based graphics long enough to take the game seriously; personally I prefer sprites to polygons.

#23. - Final Fantasy
Platform: Nintendo, Playstation
Final Fantasy Full Review

Final Fantasy was my first RPG ever, and I don't know how I did it, but I managed to play through this entire game (I couldn't beat the final boss) when I was in the second grade. It's obvious with this game that Squaresoft was trying to copy Enix's own Dragon Warrior, as turn based RPGs weren't exactly common back then, and in my opinion Squaresoft managed to create a far more intriguing storyline, a better battle system, and just an all around more entertaining game than almost every Dragon Warrior game made.

#22. - Dragon Warrior IV
Platform: Nintendo
Dragon Warrior IV Full Review

As the final release for the series on the original NES, Dragon Warrior IV is by far one of the best titles on the platform, and easily one of the greatest role playing games of all time. Command a party of up to 4 characters as you travel the world via ship, and even hot air balloon doing battle with classic staples to the series such as slimes, drakkies, and more. Dragon Warrior IV is not for the weak - this is a huge and sprawling quest that's pretty difficult to boot.

#21. - Crystalis
SNK
Platform: Nintendo, Gameboy Color

The NES had very few to no action RPGs outside of Zelda, but Crystalis almost makes up for this complete lack of similar games. I would go so far as to say that Crystalis is indeed better than the two Zelda games on the NES, as it feels far more like an RPG by allowing players to change their equipment, and gain levels much like traditional RPGs. My favorite feature in this game is the ability to use magic, as it feels like a real accomplishment when you gain new magical spells in the game. I recommend picking up either version, as there are no real enhancements to the newer Gameboy version.

#20. - Star Ocean The Second Story
Tri-Ace (Enix)
Star Ocean The Second Story Full Review

Star Ocean was a very pleasant surprise that I was unsure about in the beginning, but after just a little amount of playtime I was hooked. In my opinion, the semi realtime battle system used in this game is one of the best I have seen, it completely blows that of Lunar and Grandia completely out of the water. Don't be fooled though, Enix falsely advertised this game as having 80 endings, but that's only technically correct. One great thing about this game is that it's sprite based, the game's style seems more creative than just about every Final Fantasy game.

#19. - The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past
Platform: Super Nintendo, Gameboy Advance
The legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past Full Review

Some of you will probably be surprised with my placement of this game, as most would expect it to be placed higher due to the fact that I'm a big Zelda fan, but that's not to say that I don't like the game. A link to the past is the best of the 2-Dimensional Zelda games, as it features more intelligent puzzles, better graphics, better sound, and just better gameplay than the NES Zelda games, but it isn't quite on the same level as the Ocarina of Time. You can't call yourself a hardcore gamer without having played this game.

#18. - The Legend of Dragoon
Sony Computer Entertainment
The Legend of Dragoon Full Review

Sony realized something with the current state of the video game industry, and this is that RPGs sell, and so Sony set out to make their own little Final Fantasy type RPG with good results. The Legend of Dragoon may be a little on the generic side, and it may be a little bland in the beginning, but once you get into the game it really picks up. Quite a few gamers were not able to see through the beginning of the game though, and this is most of the reason why this game is underrated. Legend of Dragoon incorporates a battle system that is based off of timing, in a similar fashion to Mario RPG, only this is more complex. Definitely pick this one up, it's only $20 now.

#17. - Illusion of Gaia
Illusion of Gaia Full Review

The Super Nintendo was home to some of the best action RPGs ever created, and one of these such games is the second in Enix's three game saga; Illusion of Gaia. This game was much different from other action RPGs of it's time, as it features one of the deepest stories around, along with intelligent puzzles, and of course, fun gameplay. The only problem with Illusion of Gaia is that it resides on the linear side of the spectrum, as you were simply forced to travel from city to city and dungeon to dungeon. Another plus to this game is that it came with a free mini strategy guide which helped out a lot in the frustrating spots.

#16. - Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy IX Full Review

For the first time in years Squaresoft finally decided to return to their roots, and they accomplished this with marvelous results. Final Fantasy IX is a game that takes everything you liked about Squaresoft on the Super Nintendo, and they incorporated it into this game (minus the 2-D graphics). One of the aspects that I absolutely loved about this game was the ability to carry more than just three measly characters in your party at once, allowing four really upped my immediate interest in this game. Anyone who likes RPGs should immediately buy this game, and at just $20 it's not going to break your wallet.

#15. - Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy V Full Review

Wow, two back to back Final Fantasy games on the list, isn't it obvious that I love Final Fantasy yet? Final Fantasy V was never released on the Super Nintendo here in the US, but thankfully Squaresoft was looking for a quick lazy buck and decided to bring it over here in a collection for the Playstation. The best thing about Final Fantasy V is definitely the superior job system, and I loved how Square opted to use the same graphics style for both this game and Final Fantasy IV. Definitely not a game to be missed, Final Fantasy V is sure to take you to another world for hours on hours.

#14. - Lufia II: Rise of The Sinistrals
Taito
Platform: Super Nintendo

The Lufia series has not gotten proper recognition, especially Lufia II. Lufia II is a unique turn based RPG that was released late in the Super Nintendo's life. This game is fun in that it features some of the coolest puzzles ever in an RPG, and for all of you who dislike random encounters, Lufia II allows you to see and possibly dodge monsters who would start up a battle. Lufia II is definitely superior to the original, in terms of gameplay and story, but what surprised me is that Lufia II is actually a prequel of sorts to the original Lufia. Lufia II is a solid game that no RPG fan should miss out on.

#13. - Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean
Sunsoft
Platform: Sega Saturn
Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean Full Review

The Sega Saturn was a unique console, before the release of Final Fantasy VII I would have gone so far as to say that the Saturn was superior to both the Playstation and Nintendo 64, but this topic is open to debate. One of the best things that Saturn had going for it was in the form of Working Designs publishing support, they published two terrific games; Dragon Force and Albert Odyssey. Albert Odyssey takes everything I like about RPGs and outperforms most; it's sprite based, two dimensional, is long due to the lack of FMV cinemas (except for the intro), and it has unsurpassed style. What makes me sad is that most people haven't even heard of this game.

#12. - Grandia
Grandia Full Review

Few games nowadays can make you completely forget about your troubles and immerse you in their storyline and gameplay, Grandia is one of these rarities. While the sequel may not be up to snuff, the original Grandia is a real treasure amongst fake gold. I like this game so much that after playing through the playstation I went online and ordered the Saturn Japanese version on import. Grandia may look simplistic at first, but once you play the game for a while it really takes off, and I can honestly say that it is one of the best games I have had the opportunity to play.

#11. - Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VI Full Review

If there ever was a game that screamed the word "overrated" than it is certainly this one, but with that said it is still a very fun game and a rewarding experience. When I first got this game on the Super Nintendo I ended up paying about $70 for it, and while I have to say that the game was worth it, that's still the most I've ever spent on one single game. Final Fantasy VI was the first in the series to offer a wide variety of characters to include in your party, I really can't remember how much but trust me, there are a lot. This game is not really worth playing on the playstation because of the loading times, but you may be stuck with that version because the Super Nintendo version is very rare.

#10. - Chrono Trigger
Chrono Trigger Full Review

Chrono Trigger was an extrememly unique RPG for it's time for many reasons, but there was one thing that really defined the game; time travel. After being let down by the original Final Fantasy's form of time travel I was expecting a whole lot from this game, and a whole lot is exactly what I got. You just can't ask for a more unique RPG on the Super Nintendo, and Chrono Trigger was one of the first RPGs to ever offer the player multiple endings, and even though there were only around 10 of these, Chrono Trigger still pulls off the multiple endings aspect worlds better than Star Ocean on the Playstation.

#9. - Lunar: The Silver Star
Platform: Sega CD, Playstation
Lunar: The Silver Star Story Complete Full Review

There are very few instances when anyone will admit this, but Lunar The Silver Star really touches the player's heart, and this is it's main appeal. Sadly enough, I made the big mistake of buying this game's direct sequel first, and after playing through it almost every single plot twist in this game was ruined for me. This game has one of the best, most enjoyable stories ever featured in any game ever created, but don't think that this game lacks proper gameplay, as Lunar is also very strong in that area. Take this little tip though, do not pick up the GBA version.

#8. - Dragon Warrior III
Platform: Nintendo
Dragon Warrior III Full Review

Dragon Warrior has definitely stayed more true to the series through the years than Final Fantasy has to it's own. I haven't played this game in a very long time on the NES, but luckily for me when Enix released the game on the gameboy color I was able to pick it up. Personally I don't really like the class system, but at heart, this game is really a masterpiece through and through, even if Dragon Warrior III isn't perfect. I'll say this though, Dragon Warrior III is definitely the best game in the Dragon Warrior series, and easily the best 8-bit RPG at that.

#7. - The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time
Platform: Nintendo 64, Gamecube
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D Full Review

I've said it before and now I'll say it again; Ocarina of Time is without a doubt in my mind, the best Zelda game thus far in the franchise's life. I can still remember how much this game amazed me when it was first shown off, and the amazement didn't even wear off when the game underwent change after change after change, but the wait was definitely worth it. The world of Zelda translated beautifully into 3-D, and remains as a testament to how 2-dimensional series should be updated.

#6. - Suikoden II
Suikoden II Full Review

Really the main reason that I picked up Suikoden II was because of the price, it sold for only $30 when I got it. I ignored this game for so long, and so it was really a big surprise to me how good this game is. Suikoden II is one of the most brilliantly made RPGs, with the story revolving around a large scale military struggle. One of the best things about this turn based RPG is it's different styles of battle. Suikoden II must not be ignored, if you find it for under $70 than pick it up, it's worth it.

#5. - Skies of Arcadia
Overworks
Platform: Dreamcast, Gamecube
Skies of Arcadia Legends Full Review

Skies of Arcadia is the best RPG to come out for a very long time, it manages to outperform just about every Final Fantasy game in pretty much every aspect. Even if I had known that Overworks would simply port the game to Gamecube I would still have blown all my money on the Dreamcast and the game all over again, yes, it's that good. The storyline may not be the very best out there, but gameplay is where this game just takes off and never looks back, I don't think any turn based RPG has ever made my adrenaline pump like this game has. I can't recommend any game more than Skies of Arcadia, and check out the Gamecube version with all it's enhancements.

#4. - Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
Platform: Sega CD, Playstation
Lunar Eternal Blue Complete Full Review

Most people will tell you that the original Lunar is the best, but I enjoyed part 2 a whole lot more. Lunar 2 just completely owned me there for a while, I love it so much that I bought a Sega CD off of Ebay just to play the original version. Lunar 2 has the most loveable cast of characters that you'll ever see. There are few RPGs that can truly take over your life, if only for a few hours at a time. Lunar 2 also has one of the best battle systems, which is standard fare for Game Arts games. Nobody should miss out on the Lunar experience.

#3. - Soul Blazer
Soul Blazer Full Review

Soul Blazer is my favorite action RPG of all time. While Soul Blazer is the least complex of Enix's action RPG saga, it is not to be underestimated, as it is much more entertaining than the other two games, and it even manages to beat out Nintendo's own legendary Zelda in my book. Soul Blazer is very unique as far as action RPGs go, it involves releasing souls from monster lairs and repopulating towns with these souls. Soul Blazer is one of the few games nowadays that can actually captivate me for 8 hours at a time without any interruption. Definitely check this one out by any means necessary.

#2. - Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VII Full Review

Final Fantasy VII took such a toll on my life that I came incredibly close to flunking the 7th grade because I was too busy playing it. Before I owned a playstation I used to go down and rent one and this game, I calculated how much money I spent on renting it once and it came out to about $130, I could have almost bought a playstation with that much money. Well, I eventually bought Sony's little console but I never forgot about this game. Final Fantasy VII was truly the evolution of the series, and while I really could have done without all the FMV, it is still my second favorite RPG ever, I cannot convey to you how much I like this game.

#1. - Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy IV Full Review

Here it is, my favorite RPG ever; Final Fantasy IV. Nothing before it had ever incorporated a storyline so complex, and this is really the game that brought me to worship RPGs. There is just so much to this epic game that you won't be able to get the full feel for it unless you complete the quest which will lead you to the moon and beyond. What's better is that Final Fantasy IV is also a pretty good RPG for those who are just getting into RPGs, and I personally prefer the harder Japanese version to the easy American game. This is the game that you can't miss, pick it up on the playstation, or on the Super Nintendo, but whatever you do, just get this game!

Related Review(s):
The Top 50 Greatest Side Scrollers / Platform Games of All Time

jeremy1456 is a Lead on Epinions in Games
jeremy1456 is a Top Reviewer on Epinions in Movies
Member: Jeremy
About Me: Avid Video Game Collector. Powering Through the Classics All Over Again.