Top Ten Comedy Movies that'll make you wet yourself!

Jul 3, 2003

The Bottom Line My top ten comedy movies are funnier than this bottom line. Hook please? Exit stage right!

Hello hello.. and welcome all to another edition of Name that Tune!!!

No.. no.. wait.. That's not right.. Let me get the other tape and start over..

*ahem* Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages.. Degeneration X proudly brings to you..

Darn it.. Forget it, I'll stop with the auto recorded beginning and just get straight to the point..

This here's my list of the Top Ten Funniest, Laugh Out Loud, Pee in YOUR PANTS, Comedy Movies! (with a few runners up!)

1. Monty Python and the Holy Grail -- Everyone HAS to have seen this movie, right? If you hadn't, I'm sure you've heard some of the classic lines from it ("She turned me into a newt.. A newt? I got better"), because this is probably one of the most quoted movies ever made. If you like campy British comedies, this one takes the cake. John Cleese and the entire Monty Python gang ("I DON'T LIKE SPAM") portray King Arthur and his quest for the Holy Grail throughout merry old England. He rounds up a few Knights (from the cowardly "Brave" Sir Robin to Lancelot) and is off to tons of silly encounters such as the fight with the Black Knight, Camelot ("Between our quests we sequin vests and impersonate Clark Gable.. It's a busy life in Camelot"), people obsessed with shrubbery, Castle Anthrax and a bunch of rude Frenchmen ("I'm French. Why do think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king."), a killer bunny.. and more. This is the absolute pinnacle in comedy movies, every time I watch it I just die (which is pretty impressive).

2. SpaceBalls -- If you've read my other movie reviews, you shouldn't be that surprised this is a favorite movie of mine. This spoof on sci-fi movies such as Star Wars and Alien is classic. Mel Brooks is one of the greatest minds in comedy, and he never fails to make me laugh. The plot involves an Evil Galactic Empire, SpaceBalls, ("We Brake for NOBODY") whose base planet is running out of breathable air. They manuever their evil starship, also known as MegaMaid, to threaten the planet Druidia and steal all their air. The snobbish, Druish Princess Vespa ("I ain't shooting this thing, I hate guns. ... My hair, he shot my hair. Son of a b!!ch" Daphne Zuniga) is rescued by two space mavericks, Lone Star ("On this ship you're to refer to me as 'idiot,' not 'you captain'" Bill Pullman) and Barf ("Oh great. That's all we needed. A Druish princess" John Candy). They get thrown into a mission trying to save Druidia from the SpaceBalls and Dark Helmet ("I see your schwartz is as big as mine" Rick Moranis), and pay back Pizza the Hut at the same time. Other characters include Joan Rivers as the voice of Dot Matrix, Vespa's droid, and Mel Brooks as both Yogurt (spoof on Yoda) and President Skroob. If you like sci-fi or great spoof movies, or heck.. as long as you have the ability to laugh, you WILL laugh during this movie. I mean come on, it has John Candy, Mel Brooks AND Rick Moranis in this!

3. Blazing Saddles -- Another Mel Brooks movie, guess I like spoofs, huh? This time instead of spoofing sci-fi, Brooks takes on the wild wild west with this hilarious movie. A convict, Bart ("Oh baby you are SO talented and they are SO dumb" Cleavon Little) suddenly finds himself promoted to sheriff of a small town in the West.. problem? He's black in an all-white town. Bart doesn't know that the evil Hedley Lamar ("Unfortunately, there is one thing that stands between me and that property .. the rightful owners." Harvey Korman) has appointed him in a plot to chase all the townspeople out of their homes (they're all named Johnson too.. creepy). Gene Wilder plays the former Waco Kid ("No, no. Don't do that. Don't do that. If you shoot him you'll just make him mad") turned town drunk that tries to help Bart save the town from the evil Hedley! Madelaine Kahn ("Tired.. I'm so tired.. Tired of being awone..") plays the towns floozy entertainer (Lili Van Schtup). Any movie where a man punches a horse and has a scene in which people fart around a campfire is good enough for me. Kahn is fabulous, and Brooks is terrific as a Yiddish Indian Chief.. If you like silly humor this movie is right up your alley!

4. CaddyShack -- Ok, let's start this one off with a question.. How can anyone consider a movie that includes Rodney Dangerfield, Chevy Chase, Ted Knight, a gopher and Billy Murray, NOT comedy... not to mention great comedy? I can't even fathom that.. This movie is a farce on the typical country club atmosphere. It pits caddies against the members in memorial fashion. Bill Murray plays a groundskeeper obsessed with killing gophers (especially that one that's smarter than he is)("I smell varmint poontang, and the only good varmint poontang is dead varmint poontang, I think."), Chevy Chase plays a member of the country club (" A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no holes is a danish") , and Rodney Dangerfield is an evil real estate mogul ("Tell the cook this is low grade dog food ... This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it.").. Add those together and stir, throw in a pinch of Ted Knight, and voila.. You have truly classic, laugh out loud, comedy!

5. Airplane -- The plot is NOT what's funny about this movie (an ex-pilot with a bad wartime record needs to land a passenger plane with his ex-girlfriend and various others onboard), but man.. the script and the actors are PERFECT! This movie is one of those campy movies that honestly made me want to wet myself the first time I saw it. I laughed so hard, I could barely control myself. This movie is all about sight gags and silliness -- it actually parodies the old disaster movies from the 70s. Robert Hays (Ted Striker, the ex-fighter pilor), Julie Hagerty (Elaine, stewardess and Ted's ex whom he's trying to win back), Peter Graves (Captain, pilot of the plane), Leslie Nelson (Doctor on the plane), Lloyd Bridges (Chicago Flight Control head), Robert Stack, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, and Barbara Billingsly also pop in. If you find those sight gag movies funny, then I know you'll love Airplane.. Classic.

6. Ghostbusters -- Another absolutely classic comedy with one of the funniest lines ever said in a movie -- "What did you DO, Ray?".. Starring Bill Murray (Dr "Generally, you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance." Venkmen), Dan Akroyd (Dr. "Gozer the Gozerian, good evening. As a duly designated representative of the City, County and State of New York, I order you to cease any and all supernatural activities and return forthwith to your place of origin or to the nearest convenient parallel dimension" Stantz), Harold Ramis (Dr. "Sorry, Venkman, I'm terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought" Spengler), Sigourney Weaver ("You're more like a game show host." Dana), Rick Moranis (Louis), and Annie Pots (Janine). After getting fired from their university research job, the scientists decide to open their own paranormal elimination firm, Ghostbusters. They're put to the test when a being from another dimension possesses Dana and tries to conquer NYC. This was one of my favorite movies as a kid, and not a lot has changed in regard to this movie since then! The Stay Puft Marshmellow Man RULES!

7. Tommy Boy -- I'll admit.. this one's an oddity.. In his other movies, I could take or leave Chris Farley.. but this one made me laugh so hard in the movie theaters I cried. Chris Farley plays poor Tommy, he just graduated from college (somehow) and his father suddenly dies (Brian Dennehy). He embarks on a quest to keep his father's company from going under. David Spade plays a rather reluctant sidekick, as the former father's righthand man, and the Spade/Farley combination is just hysterical to watch. They were a terrific comedy team. There's intrigue around every corner with the additions of Bo Derek and Rob Lowe (who plays the perfect silly villain in all his movies). This movie has a ton of perfectly quotable, totally hilarious lines ("Holy schnikes," "Fat guy in a little coat," and the "Room Service?," lines are too funny).

8. History of the World, Part I -- Another Mel Brooks classic funny movie. There's not much to say about this movie besides Mel Brooks stars in it as a variety of different roles, such as a Spanish Inquisitor (is that what they're called). It "chronicles" the history of the world through various time periods such as the Roman Empire, French Revolution and the Spanish Inquisition. Madelaine Kahn and Dom Deluise also star. It's another spoof movie on various "historical" films (as if Mel Brooks could successfully make any other type of movie), and has one of my favorite scenes in a comedy movie... The Spanish Inquisition (something about a Jewish man playing an Inquisitor..), with it's song and dance routine, makes me laugh just thinking about it.. "the Inquisition, what a show, The Inquisition, here we go, We know you're wishing that we'd go away.. But the Inquisition is here and it's here to stay.. The Inquisition, oh the fun.. The Inquisition, what a joy.. The Inquisition, oy oy oy"

9. National Lampoon's Vacation -- Man.. I had a hard time deciding whether or not this was funnier than the Christmas Vacation, but I figured if I put this ninth and that movie tenth.. it'll be ok.. Chevy Chase stars as Clark Griswald, the patriarch of the Griswald family hailing from the suburbs of Chicago. All year long they plan their vacation to the fabled Wally World in California. Of course, with the Griswald family.. nothing can go right. Their car gets wrecked, they lose all their money, Aunt Edna dies in the back seat.. and of all the injustices, when they finally get to their destination.. Wally World is closed for renovations. I honestly think the National Lampoon's movies are some of the funniest work that Chevy Chase has done. He just seems to fit that overanxious father for whom nothing ever goes right for.. A+, this is a true 80s classic comedy movie.

10. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation -- Poor Clark Griswald.. He always wants things to go perfectly, and they never do. This movie also tracks the Griswald family, only this time at home in their cozy little suburban neighborhood. Nothing ever goes right for Clark. This time, however, instead of a closed Wally World.. he has to deal with his redneck cousin, Eddie (Randy Quaid), and his family parking their mobile home on his driveway.. his nosy neighbors (wife played by Juliette Lewis), and just a horrible gambit of things going wrong -- such as a quest to find the perfect Christmas tree starting off with a game of chicken with some rednecks in a pickup truck, and his neverending fued with the Christmas lights (my father). This is one of those movies they won't let you watch in school, so they show you that insufferable "Christmas Story" over and over again.. I just wish I could have seen this movie in school, might have made my day go by faster!

That's it.. Whew.. This must have taken you a long time to read, cause it sure as hell took me a long time to write.

Just a few quick runners up -- Wayne's World, Happy Gilmore, Airheads, Dr. Strangelove, Billy Madison, Mars Attacks, Evil Dead II, So I Married an Axe Murderer, Austin Powers, Clerks, Chasing Amy, Mall Rats, Dogma, Ferris Buellers Day Off, Revenge of the Nerds,

Well that's it.. I hope you've found this review very helpful if you haven't seen all those movies I've listed.. And if you haven't, I highly encourage you to rent them the next time you go to Blockbuster.. These movies are guaranteed to make you laugh.. especially if you like campy, silly, spoofs.

Till next time.. You don't have to go home, but you gotta get the heck outta here! Goodnight everybody!

Location: Orlando, FL
About Me: Pregnant with LO #2 -- Get ready for MORE Kids&Family Reviews!!!