Steam Vac V2---Blessing or Curse?

Mar 25, 2007

Pros:Cleans deeply--Carpets dry quickly

Cons:Sometimes, it leaks

The Bottom Line: If you can snap the clean water tank on properly and quickly so you don't get a leak, it's worth it.

Shortly after purchasing new carpeting, my Bissell steam cleaner broke. It was only 1 1/2 years old and had some features I didn't like, so I decided to go with a Hoover. After reading a lot of reviews, I chose the Hoover Steam Vac V2 widepath. ( The Bissell was very heavy, hard to clean, didn't clean well and it left a soap residue that would attract more dirt.) I spent a lot for my carpeting and I have a large dog, as well as a husband and 2 sons who never wipe their feet because they always think their shoes are clean. A lot of juice and food spills don't help the situation. Although we wipe the dog's feet, we still have muddy paw prints.
The Hoover cleans very well and the carpets dry quickly because it has heated steam that infuses the carpet when you suck up the water. You can adjust the amount of detergent you need according to how soiled the carpeting is. It also has a clean rinse cycle to get up any extra detergent residue. I always use the clean water rinse after using.
I love the way it cleans, but sometimes it leaks. I don't know what I am doing wrong. One time, it leaks all over the floor, the next it is fine. I think the trick is in the way you snap on the clean water tank and how quickly you can do it. I have contacted Hoover and they sent me the assembly instructions that I already have. When it is snapped together properly, it's great. When it's not, you have a major mess.
I still think it's the best I've used, but I get very anxious before using it, because I don't know if I'm going to get a messy leak. I would use it more often if I wasn't so worried about a leak. Also, it is very heavy to move around and it is a bit loud. It does not manipulate around furniture well.
It is easy to clean as all the parts pretty much snap off for rinsing. The dirty water tank is easy to dump. The clean water tank as well as the detergent tank are easy to fill but not to install. I have not yet used the upholstery cleaners, so I don't know how well they work.