Honeywell Thermostat CT62

ratings (1 Epinions review)

Basic Thermostat

Mar 26, 2007

Pros:Works fine; looks modern

Cons:Installation with wires and wire nuts requires space; Installation is a little tricky

The Bottom Line: This is a basic thermostat for basic needs. It is fine for a simple baseboard heater where there are no fancy timing requirements.

I'm fixing up a couple rooms in the basement and wired them both for electric heat. I installed a baseboard heater in each room, then needed wall-mount thermostats to control each heater. At Lowes, I found the Honeywell CT62 manual thermostat for $19, so that's what I bought.

What It Is

The Honeywell CT62 is a completely manual thermostat. There is no timer or automatic setback controls -- you simply adjust the knob to the temperature you desire and it will do its thermostatic best to hold the room at that temperature.

The unit itself is a small white box, about four inches tall and 2.5 inches wide. When installed in an electrical box, it sticks out about an inch from the wall. The CT62 must be installed in an electrical box. This means that wiring must be done properly from your home's circuit breaker panel to the box where the CT62 thermostat is installed. Wires then lead from the box to where the electric heater is mounted. The thermostat should be located far enough away from the heater so that the heat doesn't simply rise and cause the thermostat to shut off. In my case, I have the CT62 thermostat located about four feet from one end of the baseboard heater, and about four feet up the wall from the floor.

In addition to having a round knob used to set the temperature, the Honeywell CT62 has a simple thermometer to indicate the room's temperature. I have the impression that neither the thermostat knob nor the thermometer are all that accurate but they are fine for my simple requirements in these rooms.

The Honeywell CT62 has four connection wires and can control either a 120-Volt or 240-Volt heater. The wires are labelled L1, L2, T1 and T2, which I found confusing. (More about this confusion in a moment.) For a 120-Volt installation, power is connected to the L1 wire and the feed to the heater is connected to the T1 wire. For a 240-Volt heater, power is connected to the L1 and L2 wires, and the heater is connected to the T1 and T2 wires. There is no ground terminal on the CT62, so it does not need to be grounded.

Installing It

The Honeywell CT62 was fairly easy to install but it could have been better. Connections are made to the unit using four heavy wires (two red and two black) on the back side of the CT62. Since I had 12-gauge wires running to an electrical box, I used wire nuts to attach the four wires in the box to the four wires on the back of the CT62. This meant that there was a lot of wire and four wire nuts that I needed to cram back into the electrical box. Fortunately, there was enough space to fit everything without it being too cramped.

A better method would be to have screw terminals on the back of the thermostat so that I could directly attach the wires in the box. This way, there are no extra wires and no wire nuts to clog the box. It's a much neater installation.

The L1, L2, T1 and T2 labeling for the wires is confusing. For one thing, I had to read tiny type in the brief manual to figure out which wires connect in which direction. Normally, I would assume that "L1" and "L2" would indicate the "load," which in this case would be the heater. In other words, my instinct was to connect the L1 and L2 wires to the heater. However, my instincts were wrong with the CT62, as the L1/L2 wires connect to power and the T1/T2 wires connect to the load (heater). This can only be determined by reading the manual.

Two screws attach the CT62 to the electrical box. One of these screws is almost impossible to reach without removing the large white knob. It seems like Honeywell could have designed the thermostat so that it could be mounted and dismounted without removing the knob. The white plastic cover that dresses up the thermostat is easy to snap on and off.

Using It

The Honeywell CT62 is a piece of cake to use. I simply rotate the dial to the desired temperature setting and the thermostat fires up the baseboard heater. I used it for most of a day while I was in this room a couple weeks ago, and it worked fine. It was quiet and seemed to keep the temperature about where I wanted it.

The rotary knob for temperature setting is calibrated every five degrees, starting at 50 degrees Fahrenheit. If I turn the knob below that, it will actually switch the heater off, which is a useful thing to do.

The thermometer on the face of the CT62 is only marginally accurate but I simply nudge the thermostat to the point where I'm comfortable and don't pay much attention to the thermometer.

The Honeywell CT62 has a modern white appearance and it looks fine on my freshly painted walls. It would be nice if it protruded a little less from the wall but I can live with it.

A couple weeks ago, an old electric thermostat failed and I replaced it with a Honeywell CT62. I now have three of them and they all work fine.

Summary

The Honeywell CT62 is a competent manual thermostat for simple electrical heaters such as baseboard or fan-forced bathroom units. It is nothing special and it is completely manual -- you can't set it to warm your bathroom 10 minutes before your shower, for example. You can step in your bathroom, twist the knob on the CT62 to the temperature you want, and it will be happy to do your bidding. It is a simple electric thermostat that is a little harder than it should be to install.

I recommend the Honeywell CT62 thermostat but it is a simple unit that could be a little easier to install.

Honeywell CT62B1015 Premium Thermostat for Electric Baseboard Heaters
Non-Programmable Thermostats: Honeywell Thermostat. Round 3-Wire Thermostat T87K-1007

Shop for Heating, Venting & Cooling at The Home Depot. The Honeywell Round 3-Wire Thermostat has mechanical operation in a traditional circular housin...
Home Depot

Honeywell Round Mercury Free Manual Thermostat T87k1007

Honeywell Round Mercury Free Manual Thermostat T87k1007

Honeywell Round Mercury Free Manual Thermostat T87K1007 The Round thermostats provide electronic control of 24Vac heating and cooling systems with the...

Round Heat Only Thermostat Honeywell Int. T87k1007

Round Heat Only Thermostat Honeywell Int. T87k1007

Round Manual Thermostat Mercury free builders pack. The Round thermostat is one of the most recognizable and popular temperature control units. It´s r...

Honeywell Round Mercury Free Heat Only Thermostat

Honeywell Round Mercury Free Heat Only Thermostat

Jump To: Description \ Payment Options \ Shipping Information \ Customer Service Honeywell Round Mercury Free Heat Only Thermostat Honeywell Model # T...

Honeywell T87K1007  Round Mercury Free Heat Only Thermostat

Honeywell T87K1007 Round Mercury Free Heat Only Thermostat

The RoundŽ Mercury Free Thermostat with manual changeover and R,W,Y terminals for single stage heating systems Mercury Free . Classic Styling . Pr...
iaqsource.com

Honeywell Tradeline Thermostat Electronic, Heat Only

Honeywell Tradeline Thermostat Electronic, Heat Only

HONEYWELL TRADELINE THERMOSTAT *New mercury free heat only Tradeline thermostat *Features new electronic switch that offers additional accuracy *For g...
Programmable Thermostats: Honeywell Thermostat. 7-Day Universal Touchscreen Programmable Thermostat RTH8500D

Shop for Heating, Venting & Cooling at The Home Depot. Some programmable thermostats are so difficult to program that people just put them on hold, de...
Home Depot

Honeywell Round Non-programmable, Heat Only, Mechanical Thermostat T87k1007

Honeywell Round Non-programmable, Heat Only, Mechanical Thermostat T87k1007

HONEYWELL Round Non-Programmable, Heat Only, Mechanical Thermostat T87K1007 Overview The Round T87K and T87N thermostats provide electronic control of...

Honeywell Thermostat Non-programmable Ct51n

Honeywell Thermostat Non-programmable Ct51n

Honeywell Thermostat With Integrated Thermometer Heating and / or Cooling Non-Programmable Item #CT51N This Item is New. Shipping Handling is $4.00 Fi...