THE 10 BEST CHRISTMAS MOVIES - Movies For The Holidays

Dec 17, 2003

Popular Products in Movies
HASH(0x9ea8b50)  Reviews
From $54
The Bottom Line Christmas Movies!

It's that time of year again! Sleigh bells jingling, and all that...

Here are some good movies to pass the time, most of which I'm sure you've seen. I don't know of any good holiday films for Hannukah, or others, so if you know please leave a comment! Thanks!

In no order of preference...

OLD CLASSICS:

It's A Wonderful Life - James Stewart and Frank Capra team up in this 1946 film to create one of the all-time best Christmas movies ever! Follow George Bailey through his childhood to his current family, then watch as George spirals into despair and ultimately self-destruction. But his guardian angel helps him realize how good life really is, 'cause if it wasn't for George his little town of Bedford Falls would be in ruin. This is a touching movie, perfect for the holidays. I think it helps us all to come to terms with our individual situations and perhaps find some hope.

Miracle On 34th Street - This version is far better than any remake. Kris Kringle (Edmund Gwenn) gets a job at Macy's and meets Susan Walker (Natalie Wood) a little girl that doesn't believe Santa exists. Kris Kringle trys to prove that he is the man from the North Pole. It's a good movie.

Scrooge (1951) - Charles Dickens' popular story (A Christmas Carol) is well known and is always a favorite. I believe the 1951 version is the best. The actors all fit their parts well and they performed grandly. Alastair Sim is the perfect Scrooge.

A Christmas Story - Paranoid parents don't want Ralphie to get a Red Ryder BB gun, but that's all he wants. He's gotta convince them it'll be ok. Ralphie's dad wins a contest and gets a lamp that looks like a leg. He puts it in the front room window where everyone can see it. The wife doesn't like it. But mom and dad like it less when Ralphie says F*ck, and it's funny as hell when Ralphie's friend sticks his tongue to a frozen flag pole. It's always good to see the regular guy beat up the bully, Ralphie shows how it should be done. Will Ralphie get what he wants for Christmas?

NEW CLASSICS:

Home Alone & Home Alone 2 - Always a favorite for good laughs, Macaulay Calkin plays Kevin McCallister an 8-year old who's forgotten at home by his parents when they travel to Europe. Thieves are looting all the houses in the neighborhood, but when they come to the McCallister house they're in for a surprise! The two thieves in this movie are played by Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern. This is a good movie for the kids. Home Alone 2, McCallister is lost in New York. Thinking his Aunt and Uncle might be home he heads to their house which is being renovated. This of course, sets the movie up for some pretty good stunts and laughs. The same thieves come back to exact revenge on Kevin for their previous troubles.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - This is one that hadn't seen till this year at my girlfriend's house. I wasn't sure I'd like it because I hate the other National Lampoon's movies, but this one was actually funny. Chevy Chase plays Mr. Griswold, an accident prone fool. The entire family comes over to the Griswold house for what turns out to be a very difficult holiday celebration.

The Santa Clause & The Santa Clause 2 - It's big shoes to fill when you're trying to take over as the new Santa Clause, especially when you're the one responsible for Santa's death! Tim Allen plays as the newly selected Santa Clause, in a very funny and entertaining movie. In number 2 Tim Allen finds out that he's required to marry. Gotta have Mrs. Clause! He's been Santa for eight years and all the weight he gained in the first movie is slowly coming off! This is a serious problem for Santa, so he goes in search of a wife.

CARTOONS:

Mickey's Christmas Carol - Mickey's version of Scrooge, it's very entertaining and fun to watch. Great for little kids (obviously). A true classic, I grew up with this one.

Rudolph The Red Nosed Raindeer - He has a shiny nose, he kisses a cute girl, and helps his friends...it's a fun story, if animate poorly. It's a classic though, kids today even love it.

Frosty The Snowman - Frosty, that lovably, tubby ball of snow that sings well...this is a fun movie too. Frosty and his friend must elude a greedy musician that's trying to get ahold of the magic hat that brings Frosty to life. There's lots of laughs and singing, it's a good kids movie.

Honorable Mentions:
- Elf
- Nightmare Before Christmas

These Get Coal...
- Bad Santa
- Ernest Saves Christmas

Final Comments

I always like to enjoy Christmas movies with hot chocolate or hot buttered rum and a Cinnabon cinnamon roll! Gather the family around and enjoy!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!