Ayr Saline Nasal Gel

Ayr Saline Nasal Gel

ratings (3 Epinions reviews)

Sometimes the Best Medicine Is Ayr

May 23, 2007

Pros:nonmedicated, soothing, moisturizing, works instantly, relieves nasal dryness, unscented

Cons:hard to find, requires reapplication, not as natural as the original Ayr Spray/Drops

The Bottom Line: A breath of fresh "ayr" for those who hate tipping their head back (ie, me) for nose drops but can't breathe clearly without them.

My mother introduced me to Ayr Saline drops years and years ago and I’ve used the baby version with my daughter almost from the first day I brought her home. I received a sample size of Ayr Saline Nasal Gel with my last purchase and was curious to try it on myself. Usually, when my nose is stuffy and/or I have a head cold, I use Boroleum ointment. But sometimes that camphor/menthol/eucalyptus stuff is a little too pungent and more than I need to soothe my nostrils, especially a couple months ago when I was in my first trimester of my second pregnancy.

The basics
Ayr Saline Nasal Gel is a nonmedicated clear gel that contains aloe and sodium chloride (salt) to moisturize and soothe dry, crusty noses. It can be used to combat the drying effects of colds, allergies, sinus infections, winter heating systems, pregnancy, etc. The clear, unscented gel is meant to be applied by finger or swab around, under, and inside nostrils. It comes in a .5 oz/14.1 g. tube and sells for about $5. I received a trial size 1.75 g. tube with my purchase of Baby Ayr Spray/Drops.

Ingredients
Water, methyl gluceth-10, propylene glycol, glycerin, glyceryl
polymethacrylate, triethanolamine, aloe barbadensis leaf juice (aloe vera
gel), PEG/PPG-18/18 dimethicone, carbomer, poloxamer 184, sodium chloride,
xanthan gum, diazolidinyl urea, methylparaben, propylparaben, glycine soja
(soybean) oil, geranium maculatum oil, tocpheryl acetate, blue 1.

My experience
Although our humidifier is fairly new and rigged directly into our heating system, I still often wake up stuffed up and dry during the winter. I have a history of allergies and usually breathe through my mouth, which only exacerbates the situation. Being pregnant this past winter meant I was also more prone to bloody noses. So I got to use this gel on several occasions and I have to admit it’s good stuff.

There’s no scent to it and, despite my concerns of rubbing salt on my sore nose, no burning sensation. In fact, it’s very mild and feels extremely soothing, and a little cooling, too. It’s not greasy like my Boroleum ointment, which is petroleum based, so it washes right off my fingers and feels very light in my nose.

It takes very little to have an effect. I squeeze one drop out of the tube and rub it between my index fingers. Then I rub the tips of my index fingers in my nostrils. Immediately, I can breathe a lot clearer and the tight dryness is soothed. The relief doesn’t last forever but I’ve been able to go hours without needing reapplication. In fact, many days I’d just put a little before bed and I’d still be able to breathe clearly in the morning.

I never used this gel while I had a full-blown cold so I don’t know if it would burn against an irritated nose that has been rubbed raw from tissues. But it has worked well on everyday allergic reactions as well as heat-aggravated dryness.

In comparison to the simple saline solution found in the Ayr Spray/Drops I use on my daughter, this Gel has some extra additives that make it seem a bit less natural to me and I probably won’t use it on her little nose. But I have less qualms for my own use and, given its effectiveness, I’m content. Plus, since it’s in a tube, I don’t have to worry about sharing it with my hubby or sanitizing the tip after each use like I do with the Spray/Drops.

It seems to be a very new product because I haven’t been able to locate it in any local stores yet. I have seen it online so it’s not impossible to find.

Overall
This nasal gel is easy to use and effective. It has worked great for me and I plan to buy a new tube as soon as I can find it in my local stores.

Amount Paid (US$): sample
Frequency of Use: Often (weekly)
Extent of Symptom Relief: Relieves most symptoms quickly
Duration of Symptom Relief: 1 to 4 hours
Best for relieving: nasal dryness and congestion
Extent of Side Effects: No noticeable side effects
Worst side effect: not sure