Decent basic headset

May 24, 2007

Pros:Cheap, comfy, no-frills, big buttons

Cons:No noise-cancellation, ear loop is necessary for most people

The Bottom Line: The 610 is a great basic handset -- it's average at pretty much everything. I can't find any major faults, and I doubt you will either. A great value!

The Discovery 610 is your basic headset. It's nothing spectacular, and gets the job done. Definitely a no-frills headset that just does what it should.

The design is relatively simple but appealing: a basic silver on black color scheme. The 610 has a nice curve to it, which helps it look smaller than it really is. The "operation LED" is easy to see and will undoubtedly get you noticed (it's big and blue/red).

Fitment is good on this device. The photos and marketing material show it being pressed right into the ear canal with no support...unfortunately, it's not that simple. 3 interchangeable silicon ear pieces are included so you can find the one that works. Unless you have an ear that PERFECTLY fits one of the three pieces, you'll need to attach the tiny ear loop. The ear loop helps the 610 sit in place a bit better, and allows you to move around without fear of it falling off.

Using the 610 is very simple. The main button is large and easy to press, but doesn't have a nice solid "click" to it. You'll appreciate the large button when you are wearing the headset and need to hang up/take a call. There are two small volume buttons that are easy to press, though I don't know if I like the placement of the + and - buttons (they feel like they're backwards).

If you've ever paired any Bluetooth headset to a phone, you'll have no trouble here: hold the big button for 5 seconds, and do what you need to on the phone.

Sound quality is just fine for most people. There's no fancy digital filtering or noise reduction, which may be a turn-off for some. I find it to work well in most environments, and callers rarely complain about low audio quality. It's not the best audio quality I've seen, but it certainly isn't the worst.

Included are an ear loop, the 3 ear pieces, and an AC charger, along with the necessary manuals.

Like I have said, the Discovery 610 is a basic headset. It's fairly attractive, easy to use, comfortable, and offers decent sound quality. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a Bluetooth headset.