Comments on Self-Portrait as a Giant Wheel of Cheese" (30 total) View all
  Comment Sorted by
Date Written
Re: ...
Eons pass...

But what about your favourite Flemish still-life painter from the 18th century?

You mean Pieter Saenredam? Good point... He definitely belongs in the cheese, bread, and milk inventory herein supplied.
Jun 8, 2004
11:39 am PDT

incontenent birds of pray
by jlaurson
pellegrino falcons? where's that elusive pun...

j.
Feb 3, 2004
9:33 pm PST

Damn...
by copernicus
I thought I left a comment here - I guess I didn't!

Now please direct me to my 'foot' organ - My anatomy really must be struggling these days!

Cheers for the quirky read ;)

~Adam~
Jan 9, 2004
2:16 am PST

Re: Trust and Truth~
Deborah-

Gee, I thought no one would ever ask outright, and I'd be stuck having some people believe that were in earnest. In fact, I'd read of a similar account in the Village Voice (New York), and altered it slightly for the humiliating moment. Though I haven't slogged through all 240+ entries, I simply haven't found much worthy of the word "humiliate..." not to mention "favorite gum."

Sarahlovesadam did a great job at composing her little survey,

Interesting word, "composing," if used the same way rap artists compose (sample) their music, quite apt.

but you "beat all" (as Andy of Mayberry would say) with your rendition of it!

Thanks. Until Lobstergirl pens her own, I'd like to think, along with Kris-Kochanski and Munkus, I've done my part to dismantle the banality.

Cheerio and toodles-

John
Jan 6, 2004
9:17 pm PST

Trust and Truth~
by ruby950
Please tell me that you were kidding about the school naked video thing....Please! Sarahlovesadam did a great job at composing her little survey, but you "beat all" (as Andy of Mayberry would say) with your rendition of it!

Too clever!

Deborah~
Jan 6, 2004
4:07 pm PST

Re: Favorite internal organ
Margaret-

Personally, mine has always been the Islets of Langerhans.

I like those, too-- such a mysterious name. Where do you stand on the hypothalamus gland?

Hottentot.

Cheese, this is good stuff!

I'm organically groan!

11:46 pm PST

Re: ah
Becky-

A most entertaining read, John, m'boy. The Chanukkah Troll didn't visit me this year. I think I'm too old.

Thanks, and sorry to hear that. Menachem made his rounds here, and I got the obligatory socks and pencil set on the 8th day!

Happy New Year!

Likewise--

Johnny
11:42 pm PST

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Extraordinary insights---
Gavia-

LOL. No problem. If I get inspired, I will look for it on Google, and I will am sure enjoy it as pure silliness.

11:41 pm PST

Favorite internal organ
by Penguinlady

Personally, mine has always been the Islets of Langerhans. I mean, how could you NOT love such a euphonious organ? Rumor has it that Sweelinck himself composed for it, and Hotteterre, and...

Cheese, this is good stuff!

Margaret

Becky
8:27 am PST

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Extraordinary insights---
by gaviidae
Hi again, John. Interesting to hear: I was just in Norway (well, last summer) riding my unicycle across it (see profile page links for details, or for that matter, the photo of me riding through the mountains of northwestern Norway...).

----and I had noticed that trip in your profile some time ago. Your unicycle hobby looks fun and challenging!

It would be fun to hear the riddle in Norwegian.

Wish I could oblige, but I've long since forgotten the little bit of Norwegian I knew as a child. And to look it up just for this purpose would perhaps be "forced silly," not suitably oblique---or deadpan---

7:01 am PST

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Extraordinary insights---
Gavia-

[...] However, in this case, I offered this child's riddle and the answer I learned from my aged Norwegian grandmother some 60 years ago----and I first learned it in Norwegian, which I've long since forgotten. So--perhaps it loses something in translation, making it seem "forced.".

Fascinating! And I was just in Norway (well, last summer) riding my unicycle across it (see profile page links for details, or for that matter, the photo of me riding through the mountains of northwestern Norway...).

It would be fun to hear the riddle in Norwegian.

Dec 31, 2003
9:43 am PST

Re: Re: Re: Re: Extraordinary insights---
Hi John:

Regarding my preferred answer to my little riddle you said: But-- "there are no bones in ice cream" strikes me as forced silly, where I prefer a more deadpan, slightly oblique mode of silly.

There are clearly many modes of silly, and many and varied preferences. However, in this case, I offered this child's riddle and the answer I learned from my aged Norwegian grandmother some 60 years ago----and I first learned it in Norwegian, which I've long since forgotten. So--perhaps it loses something in translation, making it seem "forced.".

Of course, there IS much to be said for deadpan and oblique when it comes to silliness, and you applied those concepts well in your amusing essay!

Dec 31, 2003
8:50 am PST

Re: lucky ball and chain
Brian-Sultan,

I've been sitting here trying to scatter funny comments across Epinions for the last hour. This has not, however, generated enough momentum for me to compete with your actual essay. So I'll settle, dully, for thanking you for this piece of writing, and congratulating you on your marriage. Thanks! Congratulations!

I just saw one of your scattered comments (about the tree hitting the glass, in kris-kochanski's essay), and it was a hoot. Wax on, wax off, my friend. And thanks for the congrats.

But remember to remind your adoring female fans that monogamy is an outdated tradition: you don't want to let them down.

Anything I say on that matter can and will be held against me in a court of wife, so I plead the 5th!

Dec 30, 2003

Dec 30, 2003
2:04 am PST

Re: Re: Re: Extraordinary insights---

And you said 33.

Which is a perfectly logical and acceptable answer, of course. But I believe the generally accepted, politically correct answer is:

There are no bones in ice cream!

Gavia-

It's always a danger to talk about humor, but I will do so at risk of looking like a jerk, and worse yet, not appreciating the lightness of your comment. In short, I do.

OK, end of lecture. As you were!

Cheers-

John
Dec 29, 2003
10:22 am PST

Re: Who said I wanted the truth?
Eunice-Millicent

In general:

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! You crack me up. And you make a lovely wheel of cheese - and I know wheels of cheese, baby.

Always good to read that combo of a's and h's when they are directed with me, and not at me. Thanks.

In particular:

Favorite internal organs: The foot and the liver.

I told you years ago that the surgeon who agreed to implant that foot was not reputable (as evidenced by his office in the back shed of Mama's pig farm). I still maintain that a foot is absolutely no replacement for a spleen. You know perfectly well that it should have been an elbow.

And here I was just thinking of the times I stuck my foot in my mouth and the other end... I'd blocked from memory that traumatic surgery. My only consolation is that the cow I bartered with the barber for the operation was already dead.

Footing it feetly-

JB
Dec 29, 2003
10:16 am PST

Re: Re: Extraordinary insights---
by gaviidae
I asked: If you were riding in a canoe, and a wheel came off, WHY IS A MOUSE??!!

And you said 33.

There are no bones in ice cream!

Dec 28, 2003
9:28 pm PST

Who said I wanted the truth?
by millinocket
JohnBoy,

In general:

In particular:

Favorite internal organs: The foot and the liver.

Eunice May
Dec 28, 2003
12:24 pm PST

Re: Chanukah troll???
Nong-

Chanukah troll???

It's a reform tradition. You know, like searching for the chocolate Passover afikomen in a typical afikomen-egg hunt.

Akemashite omedeto gozaimasu!

6:01 pm PST

Re: Finally something inventive . . .
Ed-

Finally something inventive on this dreary "more than I ever need to know about vous" theme.

Apparently simultaneously, munkus, kris-kochanski and I were up to our jolly deconstruction of the banality. There might have been others before, but I haven't had the courage to look yet.

Well, if you're not quite willing to take the whole plunge, how about:

Favorite internal organs:

8:48 am PST

Re: Extraordinary insights---
Gavia-

Extraordinary insights into your obviously depraved but active mind!

Please tell me, where! I'm a stranger unto myself.

But you neglected to answer the most important question, and we're all panting in anticipation of your answer:

If you were riding in a canoe, and a wheel came off, WHY IS A MOUSE??!!

33.

8:43 am PST

Finally something inventive . . .
by ed_grover
on this dreary "more than I ever need to know about vous" theme. I have nothing against the hostess, but after the Corpgent thingie I swore I'd never be in another. Now, if she had asked all those silly (and brilliant) questions you thunk up, I might have joined in.

Ed
8:03 am PST

Extraordinary insights---
by gaviidae
---into your obviously depraved but active mind!

If you were riding in a canoe, and a wheel came off, WHY IS A MOUSE??!!

8:01 am PST

Re: Re: Re: ,
Munkus-

Read your essay again. There are repeated questions... something to do with family? I think.

Well spotted, mouse. There are indeed two favorite milk questions... (Damn you, took me a while to figure that out...). But they are a little different from one another. "Repeated questions" is just a slap in the face. I'll see at dawn, Sir! Pistols or surveys?
2:32 am PST

Re: fav bird of prey
by trust12345
Thought for sure it'd be the peregrine falcon...

I don't like them. They wet their nests. (Get the reference for 100 points and a Scooby Snack).

JS
2:27 am PST

Re: Re: ,
by munkus
1:56 am PST

fav bird of prey
by jankp
Thought for sure it'd be the peregrine falcon...

jan
1:54 am PST

Re: ,
Munkus-

Back of the yakuza indeed. I wish I'd thought of that and I'm brilliant.

If it's any consolation, I wish I'd thought of at least three of your responses, and I'm equally brilliant.

Though you did answer some questions multiple times, but such is my magnificence I'll forgive you.

Such is my self-obfuscation that I have no clue what you're on about. What questions, man? But I will concur, you are magnificent.

1:12 am PST

Re: hey there...
Tom-

I am noticing a disturbing trend in the recent responses to this
'sarah love sadam' write-off thing.

No no. The disturbing trend is the earlier, utterly earnest responses. Get with the program, dude!

I, like munkus, am very afraid...

I think you and he are afraid for different reasons. All the same, thanks for the anxiety!

1:10 am PST