CRAZY, I FALL TO PIECES, WALKIN’ AFTER MIDNIGHT & More – PATSY CLINE

Feb 22, 2004

The Bottom Line Patsy Cline was born “Virginia Patterson Hensley” on 8 September 1932 in Gore, Virginia

Even though Patsy Cline was mostly a Country & Western Singer she did have some cross over Pop Hits as well. She had a total of 19 hits on the C&W top 100 charts and 13 hits on the POP 100 charts. Patsy first taught herself how to dance at the very early age of just 4. She first started singing with her Mom Hilda in the “Gore Baptist Church Choir”. At the age of 14 she started singing on local radio station WINC in Winchester, VA along with “Joltin’ Jim & His Melody Playboys”. In August 1954 she came in 4th place at the annual National Championship Country Music Contest in Warrenton, VA. Her performance is recorded by “Connie Barriot Gay” the sponsor of the contest and it is played on local radio station WARL. The tape of her performance finds its way into the hands of “Bill McCall” who owns a small independent record label in Pasadena, CA where she signs a 2-year long recording contract in September of 1954.

She travels to New York City where she records 4 songs at “Decca’s Pythian Temple Studio”. In June 1955 she goes to Nashville, TN to record at Bradley Studios. In August she makes her debut on the Nashville stage/radio show “Grand Ole Opry” where she signs her soon to be released debut single titled “A Church, A Courtroom And Then Goodbye”. The single fails to make any of the charts as she returns to Bradley Studios to record 4 more songs in January 1956. On 13 April she meets “Charlie Dick” for the first time who would later become her husband. She performs regularly on “Jimmy’s Dean’s” weekly variety show “Town And Country Jubilee”. In November she records 4 new songs one of which was titled “Walkin’ After Midnight” that was originally written for “Kay Starr” but she rejected it. On 21 January 1957 she appears on the CBS TV show “Arthur Godfrey’s Talent Scouts” and wins the competition that week with “Walkin’ After Midnight”. She sang one encore on the show called “Your Cheatin’ Heart” which was a big #1 hit for 6 weeks in 1953 for “Hank Williams”.

On 16 February she makes her 2nd appearance on the “Grande Ole Opry” and also appears on “Alan Freed’s”, “Rock ‘n’ Roll Radio Show”. Her first single to make the charts was “Walkin’ After Midnight” which made its debut on the Pop chart on the 23rd and would later peak at #12. It debuted on the C&W chart on 2 March and later peaked at #2 for 2 weeks. Total singles sold of this record would exceed 750,000 copies. On the 24th & 25th of April she would record 8 more songs at the “Decca Pythian Temple Studio” in New York. On 25 May she embarked on her first ever music tour along with “Brenda Lee” and “Porter Wagoner”. On 10 June her 2nd charting hit was the “B” side of her 1st hit titled “A Poor Man’s Roses (Or A Rich Man’s Gold)” made its debut on the C&W chart later peaking at #14. In September she released her debut album titled “Patsy Cline” and also married “Charlie Dick”. In November she is honored by Billboard Magazine as one of the most promising C&W Female performers of the year. On 25 August 1958 her first daughter “Julia Simadore” is born.

In January 1959 she records 5 more songs with “The Jordanaires”, “Floyd Cramer” on piano, “Harold Bradley” on bass, “Grady Martin” on guitar “Buddy Harman” on drums and “Bob Moore” on stand up bass guitar. In August Patsy, Dick and Julia move from Winchester, VA to Nashville, TN. She signs with a new manager by the name of “Randy Hughes”. In January 1960 she records 4 more songs for ׂ Star” and she signs a new recording contract with “Decca” directly. In November she records “I Fall To Pieces”. On 21January 1961 she gives birth to her 1st son who they name “Randy”. “I Fall To Pieces” makes its C&W chart debut on 3 April 1961 going to #1 for 2 weeks. On 22 May it crosses over to the Pop chart and later peaks at #12 there. On 14 June she is involved in a terrible auto accident where she sustains near-fatal head injuries after being thrown through her front windshield. On 22 July she is wheeled onto the “Grand Ole Opry” stage in a wheelchair where she announces to all her fans that she will return to singing very soon.

On 23 October her next charting single “Crazy” with the “B” titled “Who Can I Count On” both make their Pop- chart debuts. “Crazy” would later peak at #9 on the chart and the “B” would only be on the chart for 1 week at #99. “Crazy” debuted on the C&W chart on 13 November and later peak at #2 for 2 weeks. On 21 November she performs at the very first sell-out at the “Grand Ole Opry” along with “Grandpa Jones”, “The Jordanaires”, “Bill Monroe”, Minnie Pearl”, “Jim Reeves’, “Marty Robbins” and “Faron Young”. This time the show was originating from New York City’s Carnegie Hall. 1962 would be her biggest year to date when she has 4 songs make the C&W chart and 6 make the Pop charts. The biggest of these hits was her first release of the year “She’s Got You” that peaked at #1 for 5 weeks on the C&W chart. It was also her biggest hit on the POP chart and debuted there 27 January later peaking at #14. On 5 March returning from a performance in Kansas City, KS the single-engined piper commanche she is in along with “Cowboy Copas” and “Hackshaw Hawkins” crashes. All 3 including the pilot “Randy Hughes die. “She’s Got You” was her 1st ever to make the UK charts and peaks at #43 in April. She had her biggest success in the UK with “Heartaches” where it peaked at #31 there in December.

In 1963 she would have 3 songs both on the POP and C&W charts and would have her first albums ever on the Top 100-album chart. Her 2 albums were “Patsy Cline Showcase” that peaked at #73 and “The Patsy Cline Story” that peaked at #74 both on the Pop charts this year. Her best selling single in 1963 was “Sweet Dreams Of You” that made its C&W debut on 11 May later peaking at #5. This year she would also have her final song on the Pop 100 chart with “Faded Love” that debuted on 31 August but only made it to #93 after 3 weeks on the chart. Her final 2 songs for 5 years made their debut in 1964 with “When You Need A Laugh” 11 January later peaking at #47 and “He Called Me Baby” that debuted on 31 October and peaked later at #23. In 1964 she had “The Patsy Cline Story” peak at #9 on the C&W chart as her only album to chart this year. On 25 January 1969 she had her song titled “Anytime” make its debut on the C&W chart where it later stopped at #73. On 15 October 1973 she becomes the very first female to ever be inducted into the “Country Music Hall Of Fame”.

In 1980 the Movie “Coal Miner’s Daughter” was released starring “Sissy Spacek” as “Loretta Lynn” and “Beverly D’Angelo as “Patsy Cline”. The Movie also starred “Charlie Dick”, Ernest Tubb” and “Tommy Lee Jones”. This year would also see Patsy’s return to the C&W chart with 2 songs the biggest of which was “Always” that peaked at #18. The song was originally recorded and released by “Sammy Turner” and peaked at #19 for him in 1959. In 1981 she would see her biggest selling hit in 18 years with “Have You Ever Been Lonely) Have You Ever Been Blue)” a duet with “Jim Reeves that later peaked at #5 on the C&W chart. In 1985 “Sweet Dreams” was released that was a Documentary to Patsy Cline. In November of that year her biggest selling album to date “Sweet Dreams – The Life And Times Of Patsy Cline” makes it debut on the C&W chart and later peaked at #6. Her final charting single was a new version of “I Fall To Pieces” another duet with “Jim Reeves” that debuted on 5 June 1982 and later peaked at #54.

On 6 October 1990 Patsy was inducted into the Jukebox Legends Hall Of Fame at the “Amusement & Music Operators Association Awards Show in New Orleans, LA. Also in 1990 she would have her 1st Top 40 C&W album in 4 years with 㥸 Greatest Hits” that would peak at #27. In January 1991 “Crazy” is re-released in the UK only and goes all the way to #14 there. She had 2 charting albums in the UK this year with “Dreaming” that made it to #55 and “Sweet Dreams” that peaked at #18 there. On 4 January 1992 “The Patsy Cline Collection” which is a 104 song 4-CD set released in the US only debuts at #166 for 1 week and then falls off the chart. It would over the years sell over 1 million copies and become her only gold selling record. On 25 February “Crazy” would be inducted into the NARAS Hall of Fame at the 34th annual Gr4ammy Awards. On 19 September “The Definitive Patsy Cline 1932 – 1963” which is a UK only release makes its debut on the chart there later peaking at #18. Her final 3 charting records were “Patsy Cline Live At The Cimarron Ballroom” in 1997 that peaked at #32, “Duets, Volume 1” that peaked at #67 in 1999 and “The Ultimate Collection” in 2000 that peaked at #49.

My favorite CD by her is “PATSY CLINE 20 GOLDEN HITS” that was released on “Tee Vee” records on January 9, 2001. I’m listening to that CD right now as I draft up this review of her. The songs on this CD are listed below in the order as they appear, followed by the length of each song then by my rating of each and finally by my overall rating of this CD:

1. I Fall To Pieces – 2:48 – 5

4 – Very Good
3 – Good
2 – Fair
1 – Poor
0 – This song does not belong here!

Billboard US Top 100 Pop Singles for “Patsy Cline”

1. Walkin’ After Midnight – Debut on 2/23/57 – Peaked at #12
2. I Fall To Pieces – Debut on 05/22/61 – Peaked at #12
3. Crazy – Debut on 10/23/61 – Peaked at #9
4. Who Can I Count On – Debut on 10/23/61 – Peaked at #99
5. She’s Got You – Debut 01/27/62 – Peaked at #14
6. Strange – Debut on 02/10/62 – Peaked at #97
7. When I Get Through With You (You’ll Love Me Too) – Debut on 05/19/62 – Peaked at #53
8. Imagine That – Debut on 05/12/62 – Peaked at #90
9. So Wrong – Debut on 08/25/62 – Peaked at #85
10. Heartaches – Debut on 10/13/62 – Peaked at #73
11. Leavin’ On Your Mind – Debut on 01/26/63 – Peaked at #83
12. Sweet Dreams (Of You) – Debut on 04/20/63 – Peaked at #44
13. Faded Love – Debut on 08/31/63 – Peaked at #96

SOME SONG LYRICS

CRAZY
Crazy, I'm crazy for feeling so lonely
I'm crazy, crazy for feeling so blue
I knew you'd love me as long as you wanted
And then someday you'd leave me for somebody new

Worry, why do I let myself worry?
Wond'ring what in the world did I do?
Crazy for thinking that my love could hold you
I'm crazy for trying and crazy for crying

And I'm crazy for loving you
Crazy for thinking that my love could hold you
I'm crazy for trying and crazy for crying
And I'm crazy for loving you

HEARTACHES
Heartaches, heartaches
My loving you meant only heartaches
Your kiss was such a sacred thing to me
I can't believe it's just a burning memory

What does it matter how my heart breaks
I should be happy with someone new
But my heart aches for you

(Repeat verse 1 and 2)

What does it matter how my heart breaks
I should be happy with someone new
But my heart aches
And my heart breaks
And my heart aches for you

I FALL TO PIECES
I fall to pieces
Each time I see you again
I fall to pieces
How can I be just your friend

You want me to act
Like we've never kissed
You want me to forget
Pretend we've never met
And I try and I try
But I haven't yet
You walk by and I fall to pieces

I fall to pieces
Each time someone speaks your name
I fall to pieces
Time only adds to the pain

You tell me to find someone else to love
Someone who loves me too
The way you used to do
But each time I go out with someone new
You walk by and I fall to pieces

WALKIN’ AFTER MIDNIGHT
I go out walkin' after midnight
Out in the moonlight
Just like we used to do
I'm always walkin' after midnight searchin' for you

I walk for miles along the highway
Well, that's just my way
Of sayin' I love you
I'm always walkin' after midnight, searchin' for you

I stop to see a weepin' willow
Cryin' on his pillow
Maybe he's cryin' for me
And as the skies turn gloomy
Night winds whisper to me
I'm lonesome as I can be

I go out walkin' after midnight
Out in the moonlight*
Just hopin' you may be
Somewhere a-walkin' after midnight, searchin' for me

JAGUARDOG’S FINAL THOUGHTS

Patsy Cline is considered one of the greatest Female C&W singers of all-time. Her music sound was bittersweet, distraught, gentle, intimate, melancholy, nocturnal, poignant, reflective, sad, sensual, soothing and wistful. Her songs were a mix of Pop, Country & Western and Rockabilly. I never owned any singles or albums by Patsy until I purchased this CD and one other just a few years ago. I could say I re-discovered her sweet and soft sound again after many years of not hearing any music by her. It’s really sad that the Music World lost her at such an early age. Well that’s all I have for today and I thank you once again as always for dropping by. Up next in my history of Rock 'N' Roll is "The Coasters". Any and all comments are greatly appreciated and God Bless You All!

Member: Ron Drain
Location: Jacksonville, Florida, USA
About Me: I LOVE Music/TV/Movies & sports like Football - NFL/College, Baseball, Olympics - Summer/Winter and Wrestling.