LUSH Creamed Almond and Coconut Smoothie

LUSH Creamed Almond and Coconut Smoothie

ratings (4 Epinions reviews)

I Want My $16 Back: LUSH Creamed Coconut and Almond Smoothie

Jun 23, 2007

Pros:Smells OK

Cons:Light lather disappears in seconds; doesn't moisturize like it should; too expensive

The Bottom Line: No coconut. No almond. Disappearing lather. Not much moisture. I can find better things to spend $16 on.

I'm still very busy flying through LUSH's entire product line. I have LUSH on my mind quite a bit of the time and frequent the LUSH store near me probably more than I should. While I do like many of the products I've tried, there are quite a few that I don't like that I've had to return. One of the products that is going back tomorrow is Creamed Coconut and Almond Smoothie. I want my $16 back.

Product Details:

LUSH Creamed Coconut and Almond Smoothie is a thick, creamy shower soap. It's not a bar soap - it's like a body cream that lathers a bit. It comes in a hard, black plastic container that reminds me of a yogurt container. The lid screws off and on. Inside this convenient container is the soap - which is a light tan, slightly glossy concoction. It looks like body butter to me, but feels lighter - more like a body lotion or cream - in my hand. The color is a very light tan.

This product comes in just one size, which is 8.8 oz.

From LUSH.com: Formulated to transform flaky, dry skin into delicious smelling soft skin with its rich almond and coconut oils, glycerin, and fresh vanilla pod infusion.

Ingredients (taken from LUSH.com): Vanilla Pod Infusion (Vanilla planifolia), Almond Oil (Prunus dulcis), Glycerin, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Coconut Oil (Cocos nucifera), Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Vanilla Extract (Vanilla planifolia), Ylang Ylang Oil (Cananga odorata), Jasmine Absolute (Jasminum officinale), Labdanum Resinoid (Cistus labdanum), Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Tetrasodium Editronate, Perfume, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

My Experience:

I love almonds and I love coconut. And I love creamy. So I figured that LUSH would have me hooked on yet another one of their LUSHious products with this one. I simply couldn't wait to try my Creamed Almond and Coconut Smoothie.

The first time I used this product, I was running WAY late for work. The huge windows in the main conference room at work where all of the executives have their morning meetings look out over the parking lot, so they can all see who is coming in late while they are sitting there yakking. Needless to say, I don't want to be caught sprinting from the far end of the parking lot because I came in late. So that first morning that I used Creamed Coconut and Almond Smoothie, I hustled around and skipped an important step in my morning routine - applying a body moisturizer after my shower.

The scent of Creamed Coconut and Almond Smoothie reminds me of LUSH Sympathy For The Skin, which is a body moisturizer. It has a warm, cozy vanilla scent. However, the Creamed Coconut and Almond Smoothie has the scent of ylang ylang mixed in as well. It's still mostly a vanilla scent, but the addition of the ylang ylang makes it a bit more pungent. It smells nothing like coconut OR almonds.

The way that I used this product was to scoop out some of the soap (about the size of a cherry tomato) and rub it into my net shower sponge. It created a light lather, which I felt was a pretty good lather for a LUSH product. A lot of LUSH products don't create a lot of lather. However, when I apply the lather to my skin using the sponge, the lather disappears within about 10 seconds. I don't know what happens to it - but it is GONE.

The first couple of times that I used my Creamed Coconut and Almond Smoothie, I thought that maybe I hadn't used enough product, because I wasn't getting enough lather. I started to use quite a big scoop. I got a bit more lather doing it that way, but I was also using what I felt was too much product - and for $15.95, I wasn't going to get very many showers from my 8.8 oz. jar.

As I showered with this product, my skin felt moisturized. However, I'm learning that with LUSH products, it's best not to stay in the shower too long and it's best not to over-rinse. The water rinses a lot of the moisture off my skin and down the drain. So I'm getting to the point where I'm taking short showers because I don't want to wash the moisture down the drain. However, once I dry off and am dressed, it's another story - I'm not nearly as moisturized as I'd like to be.

Creamed Almond and Coconut Smoothie seems to cleanse my skin well and rinses clean. It doesn't leave a residue or film on my skin, and the water doesn't bead up on my skin. Both of these are a big plus in my book.

That first day that I used Creamed Coconut and Almond Smoothie, I dried off and got dressed immediately. There was no wonderful LUSH Candy Fluff Dusting Powder and no moisturizer. I didn't have time. The thought of the CEO sipping his coffee while watching me sprint into the building made me skip these two steps. However, I should have taken the time to apply lotion - because there was no meeting going on in the conference room and none of the executives were even there yet. And my skin really needed the moisture that day - because this product left so little moisture on my skin that my arms and legs were dry and itchy all day.

I think that Creamed Coconut and Almond Smoothie offers up a bit of moisture, but nowhere near what it should, considering that it contains plenty of moisturizing ingredients. The subsequent days that I used this product produced the same results. I can't blame it on over-rinsing. I just can't believe that something that looks and feels so moisturizing could end up drying my skin out as much as this stuff does. I don't have to apply a lot more moisturizer to my body than normal when I use this - but it doesn't offer anywhere near the moisture that I expected it to.

The light vanilla scent does not last on my skin at all after showering - the scent is just too light. This is fine with me, as I am not in love with the scent. If it were the straight warm vanilla scent, I'd love it - but the funky ylang ylang mixed in is not something I would like to smell like all day every day.

Overall, this product just does not perform as well as it should. I'm not happy with the lather or the moisturizing properties. And the price is crazy. So I'm returning mine and I don't recommend it.

Price and Purchasing Information:

LUSH Creamed Almond and Coconut Smoothie is available online at LUSH.com for $14.95. I paid $15.95 for mine at my local LUSH store.

Skin Compatibility: No noticeable difference