Febreze Candles

ratings (58 Epinions reviews)

Febreze Candle… PLEASE neutralize that ODOR !!!

Jun 29, 2007 (Updated Jun 29, 2007)

Pros:Lovely fragrance.

Cons:You call that neutralizing?

The Bottom Line: It's okay, in comparison to other average candles.

My home has a smorgasbord of potential unwanted odors. I live with stinky men's sweat-socks, my son's smelly, sweaty tee-shirts, and a small canine who creates a plethora of various odors of her own. On top of that, throw in my fondness for seafood, and my love of cooking with fresh garlic. Take a BIG whiff….. Yup, home sweet home !!

So, when I got the chance to try the new Febreze Candle, I was happy as a clam (well, except for those clams that I turned into "steamers" the other day…. I don't think they were very happy !!). You see, I faithfully use a couple of Febreze products already, and I actually have a passion for candles, too. The best of both worlds. What more could I ask for?

Febreze Candles come in a variety of scents: Meadows & Rain, Spring & Renewal, Linen & Sky, Vanilla & Refresh, and Apple Spice & Delight. I was hoping to get my hands on the Linen & Sky one because that's my favorite scent of the Febreze Air Effects (that I use on a daily basis). But, I got the Apple Spice & Delight one, instead. Not a problem, I enjoy apple scented candles, as well.

Let's try this baby out!! I popped open the box and examined my new candle. The candle is in a clear glass holder that is about 3 3/4 inches tall and 3 1/2 inches wide, and basically looks like someone cut a pickle jar in half. No fancy designs or etchings. It's not "ugly", but doesn't have much in the way of "decorative qualities".

The candle itself had a white center, which was surrounded by red wax. The box states that this white center is the "Febreze Core", which "contains special odor eliminators that are released into the air as the candle burns, to neutralize odors".

Since this candle has a "25-30 hour burn time", that should be a lot of "neutralizing" !!

Alright, let's fire it up.

I pulled out my wick trimmers (yes, I have wick trimmers… I did mention that I have a passion for candles). As I tried to trim the wick to 1/4 inch, the wick just smooshed and frayed. This wick isn't like typical candle wicks. It's much thicker and softer. Well…. good thing that there was a lot of extra wick on top. I fumbled through the "junk draw", fishing through pencils, key chains, and Lego men body parts, to finally find the scissors. There… problem fixed, and the wick was trimmed.

It didn't take long at all for the room to be filled with the wonderful aroma of Apples and Spice. But, I was slightly disappointed with the "range" of the scent. What I mean is, my house has a fairly open floor plan, so usually after an hour or so of burning other candles, the scent has traveled into the surrounding rooms. Not so with this candle.

Ok, my kitchen smells lovely now. But, did the candle eliminate the odors from last night's supper? The box states "For effective odor elimination, please allow at least one hour of burning time". I let the candle burn for almost two hours, then I snuffed the candle out (yup, you guessed it, with my candle snuffer).

After dragging my less then willing son with me to the grocery store and around town while I ran my errands, I returned home expecting to find a nice fresh kitchen. Well… my hopes were shattered, before I even had a chance to place my grocery bags on the kitchen counter. I was immediately slapped in the face by the "garlic ghost" that lingered from the night before's dinner.

Try, try again…

I'm not one to give up that easily. That night, I put the candle to the test again. You see, we enjoyed a delicious broiled salmon for dinner. I sparked the candle up and let it burn for several hours. Then, just before heading up to bed, I snuffed it out again.

~Yawn ! The next morning, I crawled out of bed and sauntered down to the kitchen to make myself a pot of coffee. GAG !!! That salmon was still lurking in the kitchen, just waiting to get it's revenge.

I immediately lit the candle, and within a few minutes, the room was filled with the wonderful Apple Spice aroma. After a day full of doing laundry, scrubbing toilets, picking up scattered plastic toy pieces, and what-not, I sat down on a kitchen stool to enjoy a nice cold glass of soda. Boy, after about 5 hours of burning, this kitchen sure smelled lovely (but still, the kitchen was the only place I could smell it).

I snuffed the candle out, and returned to my chores. Within a half hour, the kitchen smelled like broiled salmon once again.

To sum it up, will I go out and get another one of these candles?

As far as being a candle is concerned, this is just like most other average candles. It has a wonderful aroma, but the scent doesn't disperse like my favorite candles do.

As for the neutralization of odors… this is where it definitely falls short. Sure, it covers up the odor while it's burning, but soon after extinguishment, whatever foul odor you were trying to eliminate will return to haunt you.

Nope, as far as Febreze goes, I think I will just stick with the two products I've been using all along (the Fabric Freshener and the Air Effects). I don't think I'll be going out to pick up another one of these candles. Unless, maybe….. if I happen upon a really great coupon, then I MIGHT try the Linen & Sky one, but only because I love that scent!!

After all, with a suggested retail of $6.99 - $7.99, and the fact that I'd only be using it for the sake of burning a candle (not for odor elimination), for that price, I can get a small House Warmer Candle from my favorite candle store.

I'm giving this product only 2 stars because, most importantly, it didn't do what it "claims" to do (eliminate odors). Yes, it was okay as far as candles are concerned, but that's just it. It was only "okay" as a candle.

* I received this product for free, in exchange for my honest opinion & review