A SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY, IN CELEBRATION OF HER 80TH BIRTHDAY – DORIS DAY

Mar 31, 2004

The Bottom Line Doris Day was born “Doris Mary Anne von Kappelhoff” on 3 April 1924 in Evanston, Ohio a small suburb of Cincinnati

During her teen years after some encouragement from her mother began studying with a vocal coach. The coach arranged for her to perform on a local radio station. She was heard but local bandleader “Barney Rapp” who signed her. Story has it that Barney asked her for her name and she said “Doris Kappelhoff”. He is said to have said, “It’s a very nice name but a little too long for the marquee outside”. Rapp herd her sing “Day After Day” and that inspired him to suggest that she go by the last name of Day. At the early age of 16 she moved to Chicago, Illinois to sing with “Bob Crosby and his Bobcats”. She next appeared as lead singer for “Les Brown” and his orchestra in New York City. In 1945 she was the lead singer on “Sentimental Journey” that became a million seller for “Les Brown” and his orchestra and stayed at #1 for 9 consecutive weeks. She however was not given credit for performing on this song.

She was the lead singer for 7 of “Les Brown’s” 8 hit records from March to December 1945. In 1947 she signed a solo contract with “Columbia” records. Also this year she signed an exclusive deal to make Movies for “Warner Brothers” studios. On 29 May 1958 her first solo single titled “Love Somebody” went straight to #1 on the charts and stayed there for 5 weeks. She had 3 other singles on the US pop chart this year as well. She also starred in her very first Movie this year titled “Romance On The High Seas”. In 1949 she had and amazing 7 songs on the US pop singles chart. She also starred in 2 movies this year titled “It’s A Great Feeling” and “My Dream Is Yours”. The next year in 1950 she starred in 4 movies and they were “Young Man With A Horn”, “Tea For Two”, “The West Point Story” and “Storm Warning”. She also once again had another 7 songs on the US pop singles chart.

In 1951 she starred in “Starlift”, “The Lullaby Of Broadway”, “On Moonlight Bay” and “I’ll See You In My Dreams”. She had only 3 songs on the singles chart this year. Her second #1 song was “A Guy Is A Guy” that debuted on 15 March 1952. She also had 4 other songs on the chart this year. She starred in only 2 Movies and they were “The Winning Team” and “April In Paris”. She had only 3 songs on the charts in 1953 and starred in “By The Light Of The Silvery Moon” and “Calamity Jane”. She had 3 songs on the chart in 1954 including her 3rd #1 hit titled “Secret Love” that topped the chart for 4 weeks. She was also in 3 Movies titled “Lucky Me”, “Young At Heart” and a Documentary “Star Is Born”. In 1955 she had only 2 songs on the singles chart and starred in “Love Me Or Leave Me”.

She starred in “The Man Who Knew Too Much” and “Julie” and had 5 songs on the singles chart in 1956. In 1957 she had only one song on the charts and starred in “The Pajama Game”. She scored with 3 hits on the charts in 1958 and starred in “The Tunnel Of Love” and “Teacher’s Pet”. In 1959 she had only 1 song on the charts and it only made it to #100 titled “Love Me In The Daytime”. By this time her singing career was slowly winding down but her Movie career took off this year when she appeared along with “Rock Hudson” in “Pillow Talk”. She also starred in “It Happened To Jane” this year as well. She had a hit with “Anyway the Wind Blows” that made it up to #50 in 1960. She starred in “Midnight Lace” and “Please Don’t Eat The Daisies” this year. She did not have any songs on the charts in 1961 for the first time in 12 years. She starred in only one Movie this year titled “Lover Come Back”.

The title song from “Lover Come Back” was her last single to make the charts in 1962. She starred in “Billy Rose’s Jumbo” and “That Touch Of Mink” with “Cary Grant”. In 1963 she was in “The Thrill Of It All” and “Move Over, Darling”. “Send Me No Flowers” was her only Movie appearance in 1964. She starred in “Do Not Disturb” in 1965 along with “Rod Taylor”. In 1966 she was in “The Glass Bottom Boat” and once again with “Rod Taylor”. She was in the Movie “Caprice” in 1967 along with “Richard Harris” and “Ray Walston”. She starred in 3 Movies in 1968 “Where Were You When The Lights Went Out?”, “With Six You Get Eggroll” and “The Ballad Of Josie”. Also in 1968 her 3rd husband “Marty Melcher” who had also been her business Manager for the last 17 years died. She learned after his death that he had lost or embezzled her entire career earnings, which devastated her. This caused her to have a nervous breakdown.

She decided this year that she would no longer appear in Movies and began her own comedy Television show on CBS called “The Doris Day Show” which lasted until 1973. In 1974 good fortune struck her as she was awarded a 22 Million dollar judgement against her former attorney for his role in assisting Marty with their personal finances. In 1975 she published her own memoirs titled “Her Own Story” that became a #1 best-seller. This year she also moved permanently to Carmel, California. When she finally decided to officially retire from show business and settle down she also decided to lobby for the cause of suffering animals. She has been defending their rights for almost 30 years now and has many animals on her large estate. She set up 2 animal charities “The Doris Day Animal League” and “The Doris Day Animal Foundation”.

My favorite CD of 3 I own by her is "16 MOST REQUESTED SONGS" that was released on 25 August 1992 on “Columbia” records. The songs on this CD are listed below in the order as they appear on the CD followed by the length of each and then my rating of each song:

1. Sentimental Journey – 3:12 – 5 with “Les Brown and his Orchestra”
2. My Dreams Are Getting Better All The Time – 3:19 – 5 with “Les Brown and his Orchestra”
3. It’s Magic (Romance On The High Seas) – 3:28 – 5
4. Love Somebody – 3:04 – 5
5. Again – 2:49 – 5
6. Bewitched, Bothered And Bewildered – 2:45 – 5
7. Would I Love You (Love You, Love You) – 3:03 – 4 with “Harry James and his Orchestra”
8. (Why Did I Tell You I Was Going To) Shanghai – 2:23 – 4
9. Sugarbush – 2:01 – 4 with “Frankie Laine”
10. A Guy Is A Guy – 2:42 – 5

4 – Very Good
3 – Good
2 – Fair
1 – Poor
0 – This song does not belong here!

Billboard US Top 100 Pop Singles for “DORIS DAY”

1. LOVE SOMEBODY- Debut on 05/29/48, Peaked at #1 for 5 weeks (GOLD)
2. Confess – Debut on 06/26/48, Peaked at #16 with “Buddy Clark” (GOLD)
3. It’s Magic – Debut on 07/17/48, Peaked at #2
4. My Darling My Darling – Debut on 11/20/48, Peaked at #7
5. Powder Your Face With Sunshine (Smile! Smile! Smile!) – Debut on 02/26/49, Peaked at #16
6. Again – Debut on 05/21/49, Peaked at #2 for 2 weeks
7. Everywhere You Go – Debut on 06/11/49, Peaked at #22
8. Let’s Take An Old-Fashioned Walk – Debut on 08/06/49, Peaked at #17 with “Frank Sinatra”
9. (Where Are You) Now That I Need You – Debut on 08/27/49, Peaked at #20
10. Canadian Capers (Cuttin’ Capers) – Debut on 10/22/49, Peaked at #15
11. (There’s A) Bluebird On Your Windowsill – Debut on 11/05/49, Peaked at #19
12. Quicksilver – Debut on 01/21/50, Peaked at #20
13. I Said My Pajamas (And Put On My Pray’rs) – Debut on 03/04/50, Peaked at #21
14. Enjoy Yourself (It’s Later Than You Think) – Debut on 03/04/50, Peaked at #24
15. Hoop-Dee-Doo – Debut on 05/06/50, Peaked at #17
16. Bewitched – Debut on 05/13/50, Peaked at #9
17. I Didn’t Slip – I Wasn’t Pushed – I Fell – Debut on 06/24/50, Peaked at #19
18. A Bushel And A Peck – Debut on 11/04/50, Peaked at #16
19. Would I Love You (Love You, Love You) – Debut on 03/10/51, Peaked at #10 with “Harry James”
20. (Why Did I Tell You I Was Going To) Shanghai – Debut on 06/30/51, Peaked at #7
21. Domino – Debut on 11/17/51, Peaked at #21
22. A GUY IS A GUY- Debut on 03/15/52, Peaked at #1
23. Sugarbush – Debut on 06/21/52, Peaked at #7 with “Frankie Laine”
24. When I Fall In Love – Debut on 08/02/52, Peaked at #20
25. No Two People – Debut on 10/25/52, Peaked at #25 with “Donald O’Connor”
26. Full Time Job – Debut on 12/13/52, Peaked at #20 with “Johnnie Ray”
27. Mister Tap Toe – Debut on 01/17/53, Peaked at #10
28. Candy Lips – Debut on 06/20/53, Peaked at #17 with “Johnnie Ray”
29. Cho Choo Train (Ch—Ch—Foo) – Debut on 09/26/53, Peaked at #20
30. SECRET LOVE- Debut on 01/09/54, Peaked at #1 for 4 weeks
31. I Speak To The Stars – Debut on 04/24/54, Peaked at #16
32. If I Give My Heart To You – Debut on 09/11/54, Peaked at #3
33. I’ll Never Stop Loving You – Debut on 07/23/55, Peaked at #13 with “Percy Faith”
34. Ooh Bang Jiggilly Jang – Debut on 11/26/55, Peaked at #83
35. Let It Ring – Debut on 01/07/56, Peaked at #51
36. Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera) – Debut on 06/23/56, Peaked at #2 for 3 weeks
37. Julie – Debut on 10/20/56, Peaked at #64
45. Anyway The Wind Blows – Debut on 02/22/60, Peaked at #50
46. Lover Come Back – Debut on 04/07/62, Peaked at #98

SOME SONG LYRICS

BEWITCHED

I'm wild again, beguiled again
A simpering, whimpering child again
Bewitched, bothered, and bewildered am I

Couldn't sleep and wouldn't sleep
Then love came and told me I shouldn't sleep
Bewitched, bothered, and bewildered am I

Lost my heart but what of it?
He is cold, I agree
He can laugh but I love it
Although the laugh's on me

I'll sing to him, each Spring to him
And long for the day when I cling to him
Bewitched, bothered, and bewildered am I

You'll sing to him, each Spring to him
And long for the day when I cling to him

PILLOW TALK

Pillow talk, pillow talk
Another night of hearin' myself talk, talk, talk, talk
Wonder how it would be to have someone to pillow talk with me
I wonder how
I wonder who

Pillow talk, pillow talk
Another night of bein' alone with pillow talk
When it's all said and done, two heads together can be better than one
That's what they say
They always say

All I do is talk to my pillow
Talk to my pillow, talk to my pillow
All I do is talk to my pillow
Talk about the boy I'm gonna marry someday
Somehow, some way, sometime

Pillow talk, pillow talk
Another night of gettin' my fill of pillow talk
You and I both agree there must be a boy, must be a pillow
Must be a pillow-talkin' boy for me
I hope I'm right
I'd better be right

SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY

Gonna take a sentimental journey
Gonna set my heart at ease
Gonna make a sentimental journey
To renew old memories

Got my bag, got my reservation
Spent each dime I could afford
Like a child in wild anticipation
Long to hear that "All aboard"

Seven, that's the time we leave, at seven
I'll be waitin' up for heaven
Countin' every mile of railroad track
That takes me back

Never thought my heart could be so yearny
Why did I decide to roam?
Gotta take that sentimental journey
Sentimental journey home

WHATEVER WILL BE, WILL BE (QUE SERA, SERA)

When I was just a little girl,
I asked my mother, What will I be?
Will I be pretty?
Will I be rich?
Here's what she said to me:

Que sera, sera,
Whatever will be, will be;
What will be, will be.

When I was just a child in school,
I asked my teacher, What will I try?
Should I paint pictures
Should I sing songs?
This was her wise reply

Whatever will be, will be
What will be, will be.

When I grew up and fell in love.
I asked my sweetheart, What lies ahead?
Will we have rainbows
Day after day?
Here's what my sweetheart said:

Whatever will be, will be
What will be, will be.

Now I have Children of my own.
They ask their mother, What will I be?
Will I be handsome?
Will I be rich?
I tell them tenderly

JAGUARDOG’S FINAL THOUGHTS

I know today is not Doris Day’s birthday and that it is this Saturday but I thought I would post this a little early to help celebrate it. Doris Day is one of if not the first female I ever had a real crush on. I always thought she was one gorgeous, sexy, beautiful blonde bombshell. I never owned any singles by Doris as her singing career was over before my record collecting days began but I now have 3 CD’s by her. I know I have seen very many of the Movies she was in and some a lot more than once because I just loved looking at her and her beautiful smile. Believe or not at the Age of 80 she is still a very pretty woman and still has that perfect smile. Doris’ music sound was amiable, cheerful, dreamy, good-natured, happy, romantic, sentimental, smooth, sophisticated and sweet. Thanks as always for dropping by and taking the time to read me.

Member: Ron Drain
Location: Jacksonville, Florida, USA
About Me: I LOVE Music/TV/Movies & sports like Football - NFL/College, Baseball, Olympics - Summer/Winter and Wrestling.