Comments on Your Itchy Runny Eyes - What Your Doctor Probably Won't Tell You" (30 total) View all
  Comment Sorted by
Date Written
It's the same with food
by jl224
There are so many harmful ingredients in grocery store food, you would be surprised if you did more research! Read the book In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan and find out. It is so shocking that the FDA allows harmful ingredients into our everyday products and food supply. Ideally, you shouldn't use products or eat food that contains ingredients that you are not sure what they are. For a household cleaner, vinegar mixed with water works great. There is also some sort of paste you can make for shampoo, haven't tried that one though. The bread you eat should really only have water, flour, yeast, maybe salt. Look at packaged bread, it has so many weird ingredients! These allow it to stay on the shelf longer and make packaging/shipping/selling easier...but at the cost of our health.
Aug 10, 2010
12:02 am PDT

JASON Shampoo Think to Thick doesn't have SLS
by fullfaun
HI there, I read your article and went to my local health food store. When searching for shampoo last week, I looked at the JASON shampoo and it doesn't have any SLS or SMS in it.

I also bought KISS MY FACE toothpaste without SLS in it.

So thank you for convincing JASON to make shampoo without it!
Apr 13, 2010
2:30 pm PDT

15 Years of Itch
by jmeorsls
It's been less than a week since I "scratched" ITCHY EYES into Google (indeed not the first search I've done for years) and found your Epinion. I've read it a half dozen times and thought OMG....I too ran to the cupboards, as you did, and read every darn label I could get my hands on. IT'S IN EVERYTHING. And so, my new regimen has been Avalon Alba shampoo, conditioner, Walgreen's Pure and Natural bar soap, Phy. Form. Organic base, powder, blush, Tom's of Maine liquid hand soap, and rubber gloves for dishes for a few days. GONE already is my temple-area huge blotch, improved scalp patch, and mainly the itchy red, peeling eyelids. (I tell people I'm on my 1,000th set of eyelids because they've peeled so much.) Time will tell, but I think you're on to somethin'. If this works for me long-term after I throw out all the SLS+ other concoction products, I owe you! I'll keep you posted.
Apr 9, 2010
8:50 am PDT

If you REALLY want to educate yourself...
by chazarama
Read 'The One Hundred Year Lie; how food and medicine are destroying your health.' Shampoo is the tip of the iceberg. If you REALLY want your hair to be spiffy, put a filter on your shower head to eliminate chlorine and flouride (known toxins). Global corporations do not have your best interests in mind. MOVING PRODUCT is all that matters, at any cost. The more one educates themselves about all our wonderful 'stuff', the more blatant the contempt for the consumer is.
Meself, I recommend Trader Joes Citrus body wash, shampoo, and conditioner.
I love all your 'looks' Caprig, but I can't imagine all that makeup is doing your health any favors. Did you know most cosmetics (and even food supplements!) are derived from COAL TAR (!). Holy toxic goop, Batman...
Mar 13, 2009
11:03 am PDT

thanks for all the advice, but I had to go pharmacological
by anita549
Hi everyone,
After reading your essay back in Nov 2008 and trying out your product recommendations, I still had no luck. What had started out as an occasional dry left eyelid years ago, had become 2 red, itchy, swollen eyelids for a couple of months in the Fall, and I was desperate. I replaced everything topical - foundation (I never used any other makeup anyway), soaps, toothpaste, dish soap, laundry soap, shampoo and rinse – everything. Totally eliminated SMS and SLS, used NEEM oil, etc. No luck. I was finally able to see my dermatologist, and because of recommendations on this site and another, I was able to give her some names of ointments that worked for others. She gave me Desonide, and by the following day the swelling and redness was gone, and the next day the itching stopped. It’s been about 6 weeks, and I’m fine. I stopped using it after 3 days and haven't needed it since.

Thanks to everyone for posting.

Anita

Jan 28, 2009
7:39 pm PST

Made the SMS-SLS connection recently myself.
by rlee01
I too discovered recently that the Jason Naturals body wash and shampoos that I had been using for years contain SMS, an ingredient that has only a two atom difference than SLS. The company (now a subsidiary of the Hain-Celestial Group) didn't address the issue, and only reiterated that the ingredient is from coconuts, and that their label complies with federal laws. Technically true, but as you can discover for yourself through some research, SMS undergoes a process called ethoxylation which may produce an accidental chemical byproduct called 1,4-Dioxane, classified as an ether. You'll be horrified to discover all of the other places 1,4-Dioxane is found--automotive coolant, solvents used for manufacturing, and fumigants! In a desperate search for another product, I found and switched to Dr. Bronner's castile, all-vegetable soaps. The soaps work well as shampoo as well. Their website addresses many of the misleading labels and ingredients used by many of the other so-called natural companies. They even filed a lawsuit against many of them, claiming that they are harming the reputation of the industry. I found this site and post several months later, and just wanted to add my experience to help out other customers in the future.
Nov 10, 2008
7:16 pm PST

Thank you - in 2007!
by lindykins
Hi,

I just wanted to thank you for that terrific review/writeup/composition regarding SLS...it was extremely helpful and it really explains WHY I have been so darn itchy (especially those darn shampoos) all of these years. I've discontinued the use of those products (and re-used them again for testing purposes) and can now appreciate days when I'm not clawing my body off. THANKS!

Although your review was based in 2007, I just wanted to let you know that it still reaches out to a broader audience at a later date.

Thanks again!

Linda
Jun 7, 2007
7:26 pm PDT

Re: best volumizing shampoo w/o SLS
by Caprig
Hi there! I just found another product this week that I love- BWC- beauty without cruelty is what it stands for.

drugstore.com has it and the conditioner, shampoo and also the gel is supposed to be good. I have the shampoo and conditioner and they are fabulous. However, I have not tried the gel yet.

You might like those.

Also, aubrey- the best ones are the BGA shampoo and the Green Tea- they don't say volumizing, but they are fabulous.

hope that helps and email me anytime.
Mar 14, 2007
3:21 am PDT

best volumizing shampoo w/o SLS
by fullmoon2bm
Hello - Thanks for your insightful article. I am young and have fine & thin hair and have been experiencing hair loss. So now I am trying to reduce the amount of SLS I use.

I recently bought Lush's Cynthia Sylvia Stout shampoo (contains some organic ingredients) b/c it adds some volume to my hair, but it contains SLS.

Do you have any suggestions for shampoos w/o SLS that will give volume & body to hair? I looked through the Aubrey Organics website and came across Camomile Luxurious Volumizing Shampoo & was wondering if you have tried that. You mentioned J.A.Y. Desert Herb Revitalizing Shampoo but it doesn't seem to be a volumizing product.

Thanks a bunch!
Mar 14, 2007
12:15 am PDT

Aubrey Organics IS a fantastic product all around
by nermie00
Being a severe eczema sufferer, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the best product is Aubrey Organic's Almond & Collagen Hand & Body Lotion. My skin is so sensitive that it reacts to the normal acids in most organic lotions, and as for normal ones such as Jergens, PAH. Aubrey's products, however, work beautifully on incredibly sensitive skin, and if you have any problem with eczema I cannot recommend their products any more highly. I have been using the Aubrey Almond & Collagen for 15 years now, despite being EXTREMELY difficult to find in Milwaukee (only two stores carry it for about 40 miles around, and Aubrey is not always the best at shipping their products) but it's so worth the hassle. You can also order it directly from www.aubrey.com; however, there's no discount for buying directly from the manufacturer, so with shipping it's actually cheaper to track it down at your local store. Another good product for sensitive skin is Sunrise Shower's Honey Carrot soap, handmade in Delafield, Wisconsin (www.sunriseshowers.com). My skin is bad enough that I actually ended up at the Medical College of Wisconsin as a teaching tool - nobody had ever seen eczema as bad as mine, and none of the horrible steroids, creams, etc. they tried on me work. But these combinations, along with lots and lots of evening primrose oil, most people don't even know I have eczema and instead comment on how gorgeous my skin is.
Feb 11, 2007
6:48 pm PST

SLS
by webresearcher
I cannot believe what I am reading - this is me!!! For the past three years I have had severe hair loss, dry, flaking, peeling skin especially on fingers. I have been to the dermatologist who told me to use hydrocortisone, etc. (not really getting to the root of the problem). I also had watering eyes especially in the morning (just taken a shower) and was always using kleenex to wipe excess fluid coming out of my eyes - I thought it was my allergies.

The way I found out was one day, I washed my car using a car wash and did not use gloves. The next day, my hands were severely chapped and bleeding with open cuts. My hands were ten times worse than they had been during these years. I figured there was something in the car wash product that was perhaps the same thing as in hand washes, etc. that I was using. There was - SLS.

I immediatly stopped any product that had SLS, I went to the health food store and bought products that were natural.

It has been two weeks now and the skin on my hands are healing; my whole body skin feels more normal than I have felt in a long long time. Cracks in my skin are healing.

I now understand why several dermatologists have not told me that perhaps it could be my soap that I was using. If they told their patients this, they would lose a lot of business.

I would say during the last 10 years that my skin was extremely dry and as I got older I attributed it to age. So I started taking supplments and thought that perhaps would help. But the dry cracked thick skin would always be there.

For the first time in a long time, I am seeing my skin become like new again, feeling soft and younger.

I'll bet there are many skin conditions that SLS is causing. And doctors are not telling their patients. Dermatologists are there waiting for patients to come in with these conditions so they can precribe cortisone and all other sorts of medicine, take your co pay and your insurance money to keep them in business.

I'll bet if SLS was taken off the market, many, many people would be free of their skin problems.

This web site is just a needle in the hay stack. Word needs to get out to people - any suggestions?

One more suggestion - go buy Kirk's Castile natural soap - this is the one that worked.
Jan 4, 2006
10:12 am PST

Re: have you tried...
by kakkypants
I must ask you...have you checked for Sodium Lauryl Sulfate in the Arbonne products? It's the 3rd ingredient listed on their cleansing gel! I'm a consultant and have used many of their products for over a year now. Very shocked and disappointed to see this.
Sep 24, 2005
2:57 pm PDT

Re: have you tried...
by Caprig
Sorry it took so long to answer this comment. My alerts were not working.

I have not used that brand at all. I have been so happy with what I have been using that I have not felt the need to look for other stuff at this point.

I will make a note of it though so I can check it out some time.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!
Jun 28, 2005
11:18 am PDT

have you tried...
by arbonnerobyn
I need to ask if you all have heard of Arbonne International. It has been around for 25 years and is awesome stuff. You may have heard of the Re9 products that are anti aging-yet COMPLETELY natural. They have products for women, men and a baby care line that is gentle does not have the numbing agents....I wont use anything else on my kids. you can visit www.Arbonne.com for more information.
May 6, 2005
1:35 pm PDT

Yes, I am switching
by jo.com
thanks so much for the link to this review again. I'll print it out and bring it shopping or go online. Much thanks for all the work you've done. jo
Apr 9, 2004
10:35 am PDT

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Damn!
HAHAHAHHAHA

HAHAHAHHAA

I bet you are quite a sight behind the wheel at rush hour........

12:57 pm PDT

Re: This opened my eyes!
by Caprig
So many women I have been talking with in stores and such are saying similar things!

I hope that it helps to change ingredients for you as much as it has me and many of the others that have contacted me to let me know it has for them.

At least you did not do what my mom did when the doctor told her to wash out her eyes with baby shampoo (which is loaded with SLS, BTW).

She said she almost flew off the chair in pain.

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. It is always great to hear from you :)

12:55 pm PDT

Re: Thank you so much
by Caprig
I am constantly amazed as I meet women every day that explain their watery eye type problems to me and say that they have tried everything imaginable to treat them with no real consistent breakthrough.

So far, most of the women that I have told about the SLS/SMS connection that have switched products have had immediate clearing up of their symptoms, some completely, some just lessening.

Some of the products without those foaming/grease cutting agents out there are okay, and others are really fantastic.

I will try to add them to the list as I find them.

Hope that it might help you too! Thanks for taking the time to comment. It is always good to hear from you.
12:51 pm PDT

Re: Re: Re: Damn!
Ahhh, a devoted reader!

Glad to know that you are out there!

Thanks for the recounting of information. It is so great when someone that reads my stuff comes out and leaves comments now and then.

Thanks!
12:43 pm PDT

by jo.com
This has been very helpful and I'm printing it out. Since I was diagnosed with Sjogren's (by the way characterized by dry eyes, dry skin and many of the symptoms you mentioned) I have been a wheat and gluten free vegan eating almost all organic foods. I have been making my way slowly to the organic bath and body lines. I never would have thought like you that there would be bad things in here. I would love to know if you find any other products that are good. I'll keep this list in my pocket book. Much thanks..jo
5:01 am PDT

Re: Re: Re: Re: Damn!
by randomkill
"This comment appears to focus on the original message's etymology of the word "gay," but doesn't offer an alternative etymology for the word by providing other types of information (or links thereto). I cannot verify the original message's etymological information for the adoption of "gay" as a descriptor for homosexual men. But it seems logical that this word was adopted to present a perspective on this segment of the population that would be more positive than the pejorative "f*ggot."

Why thank you for using common sense, logic... and courtesy?
Why you went even further clarifying Caprig’s highly misinformed and suspect etymology of the term 'gay', with further little rant of your own (on the term f@ ggot) which as you pointed out she did not use. But since you brought it up...

Bravo! You go spunky98!

So let's just put a nifty little ;) smiley thing for you. That should placate your need for further clarification of my questioning of her well-researched opinions (since everything offered on this site is an opinion if you did not notice).

"This comment has no information to back up the apparent claim that the referenced Web site is infallible. If one accepts the premise that human beings can make mistakes, then it follows that, since the referenced Web site was created by humans, the *potential* for mistakes in its information does exist."

Wow, Humans! You think? You spunky98 are a bright one.
Your chief argument seems to be 'not believing everything you read' and an excellent choice there. One I whole-heartedly agree with.

Now with your obvious problem on following links. If you happen to look down at the bottom of the page on that Snopes.com article you might have noticed some REFERENCED (Big word, I know goes along with the other big word RESEARCHED) articles you could have looked up.

Things you can Google (You are capable of doing that right?) on SLS like

"a foaming agent naturally derived from coconut oil."

Or this little article about the scam, I mean manipulative marketing, I mean questionable issues with SLS...

"Joe Schwarcz is a professor of chemistry at Vanier College and McGill University"

Obviously these people have no clue what they are talking about.

"Imo, I did not find the referenced comment courteous or considerate, and its point seemed to be to cause an emotional response instead of a reasoned, logical one. I prefer debate to flame-throwing."

Would you like some cheese with that?
11:30 am PDT

Re: Re: Re: Damn!
by spunky98
This message's writer wrote:

"Caprig your depth of studies soooo amazes me,you are the Readers Digest of factual information."

My impression: vicious sarcasm.

Please note that I describe *my impression* as just that, and not as fact. The comment, to me, is neither courteous nor considerate and seems to have no bearing on the opinion's tone or wording.

"Plus the fact everyone in your family seems to have suddenly come down with almost every known health issue concerning the use of a common FDA approved detergent."

This comment doesn't mention independent research on the subject in question. If such research was done and it supports the preceding comment, why was that opposing research (or links for it) not presented in this comment? Why should anyone reading this comment believe it more than they believe Caprig's opinion? There is no information provided to back up the comment's apparent claim that FDA approval means all FDA-approved products are safe for everyone all the time.

"Now you wish to debunk, using your uncommon intelligence and keen mind, Snopes.com."

"... the falsehoods concerning those EVIL scientific cabals teaching us all evolution
(Which is just wrong wrong wrong because, Caprig knows!)."

This comment makes no reference to the fact that the referenced link is to a book review, and that such writings are inherently the reviewer's opinion.

"Not to mention this little goody...
" 'Back in a few centuries, the word gay used to mean happy. In the early 1900's, it was adopted as the equivalent of the today's word "cool". In the late 1970's and early 80's, in an attempt to offset the alarming statistics of depression, alcoholism, drug abuse, and suicide within the homosexual community, the word "gay" was again redefined to brighten up the image of the homosexual.' "

According to the New Webster Encyclopedic Dictionary of the English Language (Avenel, 1980) the term "f*ggot" is a derivative of the Latin "fax" or "facis," meaning a torch, and later the Italian "fagotto" and the French "fagot." It's been used to refer to a bundle of sticks, and later to a cigarette in common British slang in the middle to late 20th century. Since this source doesn't note it, I will have to do research on why it was adopted as a pejorative. (Alternate spelling of some quoted words is used due to Epinions filters.)

When one comments upon a review, per the Epinions guidelines, one should be "courteous, considerate, and to the point." ("Things to consider when writing a comment," the Epinions "Submit a Comment" Web page.) Imo, I did not find the referenced comment courteous or considerate, and its point seemed to be to cause an emotional response instead of a reasoned, logical one. I prefer debate to flame-throwing.

8:15 am PDT

This opened my eyes!
by spunky98
And I hope it'll dry them out, too. ;) I've been wondering why my eyes keep watering all the time, even though I take my allergy meds regularly. I'll try the product switch -- and thanks for the great essay!
6:48 am PDT

Re: Re: Damn!
by randomkill
Caprig your depth of studies soooo amazes me, you are the Readers Digest of factual information.

Amazing! Simply Amazing! You are sooo fascinating.

Impressive! Along with your ability to correct the falsehoods concerning those EVIL scientific cabals teaching us all evolution
(Which is just wrong wrong wrong because, Caprig knows!).

Your stunning ability to discern the Prophetic (or is that pathetic) bleating of Kim Clement the man with a worse track record than Dionne Warwick and all her Psychic Friends.

Not to mention this little goody...

"Back in a few centuries, the word gay used to mean happy. In the early 1900's, it was adopted as the equivalent of the today's word "cool". In the late 1970's and early 80's, in an attempt to offset the alarming statistics of depression, alcoholism, drug abuse, and suicide within the homosexual community, the word "gay" was again redefined to brighten up the image of the homosexual."

Yes, You my dear are truly a piece of work.
5:04 pm PST

Re: Damn!
you wrote
SNOPES.COM QUOTE: Sodium lauryl sulfate, a substance commonly found in shampoo and toothpaste, poses a significant cancer risk to users of those products.

ANSWER: Yet another product scare in the form of an endlessly-forwarded anonymous e-mail message hit the Internet in mid-1998

And I just gave all my money to that wonderful Nigerian guy. I'm gonna be rich

HAHAHHAa

You know, being an avid student of history and societies since I was small, I have to say that when a person, organization or now in today's world, net site, makes a "business" out of exposing anything, I always ask one question.

"Who are they and what are their motivations and backgrounds, and what makes them think that they are any more deserving of my trust than those they are trying to so-called expose?"

Disinformation is a rollercoaster business. When a person begins to suspect anything, suspicion can grow into a religion of daily practice, until nothing exists but an embittered lonely old person trusting no one and nothing.

Interestingly enough, the cancer connection to SLS is not the highlight of my concern with this chemical. It was the government data sheets, required for chemical awareness in businesses and tradesmen that started my research. The actual physical results of SLS use (and its relatives) are documented in chemical data sheets.

Of course, the chemical dose has to build up over time to equal "emergency measures" of all at once dangerous dose, but just because arsenic is natural, does that mean we make sure to use it daily as long as it does not kill us all at once?

Cancer, well, the first cause is usually linked to diet and lifestyle, followed by chemicals, hormones, and that in addition to words that people speak about themselves and others on a consistent basis.

What I do not trust is SNOPES.COM. Urban legends are indeed more quickly spread with internet, and it is nice to have someone to talk about that, but the consistent flocking to "SNOPES" for answers is also a questionable practice as well.

What exactly makes them think I am going to trust them for my answers- after all, could they be an urban legend as well? You know, Wizard of Oz behind the proverbial curtain spouting top-of-the-head wisdom...............

Just a little dissertation on the new "reason for doubt" movement on the net. It feels good to have my comment alerts working again after two years.

Now where was I....oh yes....

Thanks for taking the time to comment. It was great fun to read.

10:39 am PST

Re: Interesting.
by Caprig
I heard it too a couple of years ago, but I kind of shrugged it off, thinking it could not be THAT bad.

If only......

So good to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to comment.
10:26 am PST

Re: Jeez...
by Caprig
I know I am glad I took the time to do the research- if only I had done it sooner, but then again, I would not have had a dramatic improvement so then I would have always had that lingering doubt if SLS was 'really' as bad as all that.....

Thanks for your comments- it is good to hear from you!
10:25 am PST

hmm
by jankp
Got an aunt with blephartis and so will research this more. Hope I can help her finally. I don't have trouble myself, but occasionally in the past had sticky stuff in my eyes. Thanks. Glad you're doing better now!

Jan
10:24 am PST

Re: Its incredible-
by Caprig
I know what you mean about the different ingredients making us more dependent on marketing!

There is a person that is a Hollywood makeup artist that said he used to design skin care for major dept store companies. He said that he knew for a fact that they design these things to make people depend on them when they experience symptoms because they did so well in solving the original problem- but they started having others so why not stay with that company.......

Of course, he designed his own line of stuff which has some questionable things in it...HAHHAHAHA

I am so shocked. My comment alerts are working for the first time in two years! HOORAY!!

I can finally see when people leave me comments again.

Woo Hoo!

Thanks for taking the time to comment- it is always good to hear from you, Jana.
10:23 am PST

Re: Wow
by Caprig
I can not believe how many people that I have met during this time who have already been experiencing great improvement!

Thanks for taking the time to comment. If it only helped one other person, it was worth my time to do it!

10:20 am PST