Febreze Candles

ratings (58 Epinions reviews)

Febreze Odor Eliminating Candles, Do they really work?

Jul 11, 2007 (Updated Jul 11, 2007)

Pros:No overpowering scent
Variety of scents
Long lasting

Cons:Projected price

The Bottom Line: As an odor eliminator, I'm not too sure if I didn't just "hide" the odor. The price is right in MY opinion.

Very recently, I received a Febreze Odor Eliminating Candle, and was anxious to give it a go, (a workout if you will). First let me say that the name Febreze is not a new name to the air freshener industry, definitely not a new name in our home. We have used Febreze products for years, and have quite satisfied with their products.

The candle sits in a clear jar, 3-3/4 inches tall and just over 3-1/4 inches in diameter, and is unique from other scented candles in that it has within it, there is an odor eliminating core. At the present time, there are five scents to choose from, they are: "Meadows and Rain", "Spring and Renewal", "Linen and Sky", "Vanilla and Refresh", "Apple Spice and Delight". The candle I received is the Apple Spice and Delight scent, and at first I have to admit, I wasn't very happy. It seems that Apple scents are a little too overpowering, especially in our home, I was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't that strong. You can read my wife's review about her use of the Febreze Candle here.

I decided to take it to work, and that way find out what some other people thought of the product. I work at a Group Home, and not being a good idea to have a lit candle in the residents rooms, that leaves the office, kitchen, and living room. As dinner was being prepared, I decided to burn the candle in the kitchen area. The kitchen reeked with the scent of onions (which I can't stand!!) and other various food odors. This ought to be a great test, I'm happy to report a passing grade, the odor seems to have dissipated.

The next test area was the living room, some of the residents are smokers, and the odor gets in their clothes, which of course comes in with them. It's not too bad so it should be an easy pass right? Yep, it passed with flying colors. Throughout the evening, the residents seemed to enjoy the soft glow and the light scent, they had no idea I was eliminating odors at the same time.

Hmmm, where should I test it next---Oh yeah, the office, almost forgot! There's no odor situation in the office, all I'm doing is adding some of the Apple and Spice scent into the atmosphere. I did notice when I went back to the kitchen, that I did smell some onion, not as strong, but it was there. Did it eliminate the scent earlier or just cover it up, It's possible that this is merely the after dinner dishes I smell.

There is usually just one staff on duty at any given time, so I invited the rest of the staff to try out the candle during their shifts and asked them to let me know what their feelings were.

The only consistent comment I got was regarding the price. The Febreze Candle with Odor Eliminating core is scheduled to hit the national marketplace in July, 2007 with a suggested retail price ranging from $6.99-$7.99. All my co-workers who responded to my invitation said that it seemed too high a price for a candle. I reminded them of the odor eliminating feature, and the burn time.

Febreze boasts a 30 hour burn time per candle, but I think it would actually last awhile longer than that. Some people said they would rather have a different scent. In my humble opinion, the candle passed the simple tests I put it through, but did it ELIMINATE the odors or just cover them up for awhile. The jury is still out on that.

Would I recommend it to family, friends, or co-workers? Yes. And the price seems reasonable to me because we spend $10.00 on one of our favorite scents "hazelnut cream" smells like pancakes, Mmm-Mmmm! Will I buy it in the future? Maybe the "Vanilla and Refresh" scent, otherwise I'd rather cover up any odors with my favorite scented candle.

Proctor and Gamble are the distributors of Febreze Odor Eliminating Candles, they sent me this candle in exchange for my honest review, which I have provided here. Thank you for stopping by and reading.