YOU CAN QUIT YOUR JOB AND STILL COLLECT UNEMPLOYMENT IF.............

May 9, 2004

The Bottom Line THIS IS A GREAT PLACE TO INFORM THE PUBLIC OF LITTLE KNOWN LAWS THAT CAN BE OF GREAT HELP TO THEM!

I was the first to apply for and to win my earnings for unemployment with the Boren Act in 1987, when it became a law. Most people I have met, do not understand that there IS such a law.........one that allows a parent or guardian to quit their job due to being totally needed at home to care for an ill child or for an ill parent living in the home. This Act allows the person to collect unemployment due to these circumstances, and I want everyone to realize this!

In 1977, I chose to quit a great job, working for the City School District, as my 9 year old son was so ill that he needed constant supervision. When I tried to apply for unemployment, I was laughed at. I was even told to go to work, leave my phone off the hook at home, and the phone off the hook at work, so that I could hear if my 9 yr old son needed help! How ridiculous, aside from being illegal to leave a child under the age of 12, alone!

I took action. I wrote letters to politicians regarding how this was totally unfair. It took ten years for the Boren Act to become a legal law. Still, because I had all the necessary forms needed to prove my case, still had them all because I was furious with the system, I received $1,100 for back pay. That was the most that the Boren Act could give out for back pay.

This is how you do it: Write your letter of resignation to your employer, explaining that you are absolutely needed at home to care for the ailing child or elderly person living in your home. Keep a copy of this letter, or get a copy of it from your employer. Get a letter from your physician that states, very clearly, that you are needed at home to care for this person at THIS time. Take both these letters to the Employment office, explain the Boren Act to them, as they usually are not totally compliant, or just do not know about it. Next step: receive your unemployment!

In 1987, when the Act became effective, there was a 10 year period of 'back pay' that was allowed. I hit exactly 10 years. I do not believe they do that anymore. Still, you are able to use logic, these days. If you are working, need to stay home to care for that child or elderly parent, etc., get the papers in order, take them to the employment office and receive what you are due.

I find this very important for people to know and to understand how to do it. I did it. You can do it! Do not be swayed by Employment Development Personnel who are not aware of the Act. Stay focused and receive your money that the law says you are supposed to get!

Member: g
Location: HUMBOLDT COUNTY, CA,USA
About Me: WIFE,MAMA, GRANDMA, FOSTER MOM, GUARDIANSHIP MOM, OWNER OF CORPORATION, TEACHER, COUNSELOR, HYPNOTHERAPIST!