Impertinent Thoughts on Pertinent Subjects XXXIXby Matt Aucoin
Jun 29, 2004 Write an essay on this topic.
Popular Products in MusicThe Bottom Line ...
Another month, another column...
* A quick note of remorse over the passing of Ray Charles...his scene in the Blues Brothers remains one of my favorite scenes in any movie to date
* So I was at the mall a couple of weeks back, and I'm walking back to my car when I see this dude in your classic muscle car, a mustang that's been souped up so much it may as well have been featured on Pimp My Ride...anyways, there's senor hardass driving with his wife beater on and what's blaring out of the system? N'Sync...and not the latter day kind of cool N'Sync, but the first album...I just found it really funny that someone would do their darndest to be like "I am manly" and yet listen to first album N'Sync and advertise it...
* Some of my friends have questioned why I want to see Velvet Revolver live so bad...besides the fact that I really really like the album, I want to see Scott Weiland live before he's found dead...
* The summer touring season lineup is so disgusting this year...and Perry Farrell is shocked that Lollapalooza didn't sell...note to Perry: no more than 1,000 people in each state CARE about most of those acts...
* Speaking of the summer touring season, I couldn't help but laugh when I saw the two biggest a*sclowns ever, Kenny G and Michael Bolton, teaming up for another tour
* So Britney is getting married, again. She's a real class act that one, taking a man who left his 8 months pregnant with their second child wife (which makes HIM a class act too, so maybe they do deserve each other)
* Speaking of class acts, if the rumor that the two surviving members of TLC are going to do a reality TV show to replace the late Lisa Lopes, any class that TLC strived so hard to build up is long long gone...
* So I watched an episode of the Ashlee Simpson show a couple of weeks back...is that whole family bankrupt on common sense or what? "How do I mop the floor?" You get behind the mop and you shove you airhead!
* I'm going to wake up and it's going to be a dream that Lloyd Banks has a music career, right?
* If I'm AFI, I don't cover Nine Inch Nails, nor any other band that is way beyond my league in terms of talent
* So now Christina Aguilera is recording songs and getting ready for a follow up record...funny how that voice thing seems to be ok now, but she had to deep six her entire summer tour...if AC/DC only has to cancel 3 shows so Brian Johnson can recover, I think Christina could've toured this summer (and for the record, I don't hold much against Christina musically, she doesn't bother me NEARLY as much as certain other pop stars)
* How sad is the state of rock? Before Velvet Revolver's debut at #1, the last rock album to hit #1 in it's first week was Metallica's ST ANGER a year ago...ouch
* Scott Stapp is truly out of his mind...who the f*ck sues a strip club for using their music without paying "licensing fees?"
* So The Vines are exhausted...from WHAT???
* As I look at the summer tour schedule, I see KISS...is there any point in seeing Kiss if Ace Frehley isn't on the tour?
* You knew it wasn't going to be long before SOMEONE did it, so news that Ozzy Osbourne is looking to the rock band equivalent of American Idol isn't totally shocking...apparently the winner gets a slot on next year's Ozzfest...it will be interesting to see if a band that prefers melody over mayhem will get a fair shot from the Prince of Darkness
* Green Day's new album will be a full rock opera following a character called Jesus of Suburbia. I'm not quite sure what to think of Green Day writing ten minute songs (as one of the new songs is), but I hope it will pleasantly surprise me...though something tells me Green Day lacks the musical gusto to make a ten minute song that I want to listen to
* And lastly this month, a hearty congratulations to The Warped Tour for reaching a 10th year milestone...who knew Punk Rock Summer Camp would be this popular?
|Read all comments (18)|Write your own comment|