Compliments D-Link DIR-615 router perfectly

Aug 16, 2007

Pros:Great range, speed, and price. USB stand included to reduce USB port clutter.

Cons:Big, blinking LED, D-link software

The Bottom Line: I definitely recommend this adapter for computers or laptops. Works great with D-Link DIR-615.

Welcome to the wonderful world of wireless-n (draft)! I recently moved and started looking around for a highspeed router to go with highspeed internet connection. I looked into wifi g, super-g, and any of those variations with MIMO. After deciding that all those products seemed pretty much the same (minus slight variations in transfer rates), I chose to get a wifi-n router. After comparing some routers, I chose the DIR-615. To get the most out of my wifi-n, I also bought the DWA-130.
Set-up was pretty easy: insert CD, install drivers & softare (optional), and plug into computer. It comes with a very intersting accessory - a stand with a long USB chord in case one needs to move the adapter around or if the USB ports are crammed. I only have 2 on my laptop and it is a very useful feature. It is a little big though (about 1"x2.5"x.75"). It comes with a blinking LED to let you know it's connected. I don't like the setup software that comes with it. I'd recommend selecting the option to use the Windows Zero Configuration (WZC) when it comes up during the installation. The range, speed, and signal strenght are definitely a plus. The router is downstairs and my laptop is upstairs. With my door closed, I pick up 270-300 Mbps. I bought both of these products for $120 at Circuit City on sale. It was a great deal considering some wifi-n routers cost more than $120 without an adapter. Another minor annoyance - I opted to try the D-Link software during install and then it wouldn't connect to the router (or at least appeared to not be connected). The D-link software has a horrible interface, and I don't see an option to turn it off when window starts without going to msconfig. I haven't had any problems with using WZC to connect to my network. Doesn't get really hot.