Kenmore Front Loading Washing Machine 44052

Kenmore Front Loading Washing Machine 44052

ratings (7 Epinions reviews)

Kenmore 417-44052-400 front loading washer-nightmare

Aug 25, 2007 (Updated Aug 29, 2007)
  • User Rating: Disappointing

Pros:Takes little water and detergent and is very quiet.

Cons:The washer grows mold and mildew so you have to clean it weekly!

The Bottom Line: Do not buy this washer! Buy the newer model that actually drains the water and does not grow mold or mildew!

I was so excited to get a front loader! It is attractive and quiet when washing and spinning. I like that it takes high efficiency detergent and has automatic dispensers for bleach and fabric softener. It also washes at MANY levels from hand wash to very heavily soiled cloths. However, this washer is horrible. After a year, I noticed the machine giving off a foul smell. After just about crawling into the thing, I saw it was growing mold and mildew around the rubber seal. I contacted Sears and was told I needed to call service. The manager also told me this model has been replaced with a different type of draining system because their is no "fix" for mine. Service came out and told me the same thing and said their suggestions are to end each washing day with an empty cycle of just clorox liquid bleach. Then, use a towel to soak up the left over water still standing and then keep the door to the washer open until it is dry inside. Interesting, because on page 7 of the instruction manual it says, under washing procedures, "8. General Precautions: ....DO NOT leave the washer door open. Small children could crawl inside the washer. However, if you don't have children, leave the door ajar to prevent odor buildup." If I would have known this, I would have never purchased this machine. As if I am going to clean it out after each use or after each daily use. Ugh!