Krud Kutter KR40

ratings (2 Epinions reviews)

Krud Kutter - the Best Crud Cutter to Cut Crud

Sep 10, 2007 (Updated Sep 10, 2007)

Pros:removes wallpaper; ink; crayon marks; grease; you name it -this stuff works!!

Cons:NONE

The Bottom Line: The best product I've ever used to remove wallpaper adhesive, but then I discovered it was great for cleaning a multitude of other things too!! Krud Kutter I love ya!!

The title to my review may be a tongue twister but Krud Kutter is nothing to joke about!!

Several years ago we purchased a home in need of some major TLC - our fist major remodeling project and my first dealings with wallpaper that wouldn't budge. I still swear to this day whoever hung that paper used Bondo adhesive. I used everything imaginable to man - and probably helped to create an even larger hole in our ozone in the process. We ended up, as my husband says, mudding large areas of the walls to cover the gouges in the sheet rock. Our experience was nightmarish. But no sooner was our remodeling project finished when my husband took a job out of state. Our next home had - I quiver just thinking about it - wallpaper and lots of it. Needless to say I wasn't about to go through the same nightmare - I knew there had to be something on the market that could make the job easier for me...and so the search began.

I was just about to give up hope of finding anything that would truly remove stuck-on wallpaper when I accidentally came across a bottle of Krud Kutter in Target. The bright red label on an 40 fl. oz. trigger/spray bottle caught my eye. I picked it up and began to read the label. When the product claimed to remove wallpaper adhesive I immediately made a beeline for the register and prayed it worked as I headed home.

About Krud Kutter
First of all, Krud Kutter is manufactured by Supreme Chemicals, a company that has been in business for the past 25 years. They are also dedicated to environmental issues so all Krud Kutter products are biodegradable, non-toxic, water-based, and VOC compliant.

Krud Kutter comes in two strengths, Original and Tough Task Remover. The Original Krud Kutter, which was rated as the #1 cleaner by Reader's Digest Magazine, claims that no other single product removes really tough soils as quickly and effectively from so many different surfaces. The concentrated commercial strength formula safely and easily removes: dried latex paint, paint overspray, wallpaper adhesive, tape residue, food and drink stains, glue & adhesive, acid rain, bird droppings, smoke damage, tree sap, grease & oil, crayon & marker, pet stains, brake dust, oxidation, fireplace soot, blood stains, lipstick, scuff marks, suntan oil, tar & wax, soap scumb, chewing gum, mildew stains, shoe polish, and more.

Although it does not state the ingredients on the bottle, I did find contents on their website:
A proprietary blend of biodegradable surfactants, detergents, and emulsifiers, in a water-based solution. It does not contain petroleum solvents, bleach, or ammonia.

Sizes
Krud Kutter can be found in various sizes:
4 oz
16 oz
32 oz
1 gallon
2.5 gallon
5 gallon
55 gallon drums

What Else Does Krud Kutter Do?
Krud Kutter can be used as a laundry stain remover. According to the bottle, it is safe for all washable, colorfast fabrics; including cotton, cotton blends and synthetics. Works in all water temperatures.

Krud Kutter is also safe and effective on most surfaces including: carpet, fabric, clothing, hard surfaces, concrete, brick, metal, chrome, vinyl, aluminum, glass, laminated counter tops, vinyl floors and baseboards, unpainted tile, fiberglass, plastic, grout and automotive finishes.

Directions per bottle
Always test on an inconspicuous area first. Apply directly on area to be cleaned, and allow to penetrate briefly. Wipe off with a clean cloth or towel. For older, more difficult jobs, apply a generous amount of remover and allow to stand for a few minutes before wiping dry. For extremely tough jobs scrub with a brush or scouring pad and wash off with a wet rag. Do not use on leather, wood, or varnished surfaces.

Caution
As with any chemical or cleaning product make sure to keep out of reach of children. If swallowed, take large amounts of water. Do not induce vomiting. Get medical attention.
This product can cause mild eye and skin irritation as well. If contact with eyes or skin occurs, flush with water for 15 minutes.

Krud Kutter does have a mild odor/scent as does almost any cleaning type product. However, I have used this product in a small bathroom and I have not found to contain strong fumes or to be irritating to my sinuses.

My Experience
Again, I initially purchased a 32 fl oz trigger spray bottle of Krud Kutter to remove stuck-on wallpaper. I peeled off the top layer of wallpaper, leaving the adhesive part, I selected spray vs stream on the nozzle and sprayed Krud Kutter directly on the adhesive. The chemical is a clear liquid and the liquid that didn't soak into the adhesive ran down the wall. After the first couple of attempts I made sure to have a cloth in hand to soak up any cleaning solution that dripped or ran down the wall. I waited for a few moments then took my wallpaper scrapper and began lightly scrapping and the old stuck on adhesive just seemed to melt right off the wall. I couldn't believe my eyes!! And I certainly couldn't believe how easy Krud Kutter had made my job!!!

Since wallpaper removing days, I've also used Krud Kutter to remove stains (thanks to the toddler in the house) on our light colored upholstered sofa.

Just prior to moving from our last house, I cleaned the carpets with a rented machine. There were some tiny spots on the carpet that just wouldn't budge. As a last attempt effort I got out the bottle of Krud Kutter - I soaked the spots with the cleaner, waited for several minutes then returned with a scrub brush. I worked the cleaner into the carpet and then blotted with a dry cloth -the spots were gone!!

Not too long ago my daughter had on a brand new skirt which she managed to get ink on. I thought for sure the skirt was ruined. The material was 100% cotton - I sprayed the ink marks with Krud Kutter rub the solution into the fabric and laundered as usual. I checked the skirt prior to drying - the ink was gone!!

And another more recent accident in our new house was with our babysitter and candle wax. We happened to have a power outage and our sitter lit a candle to look for the flashlight the 4 yr old had been playing with. She (the sitter) took the candle into one of the bedrooms and managed to spill red wax onto cream colored carpet!! I just wanted to scream, thinking the carpet in our brand new house would be ruined!! I took out the Krud Kutter and sprayed it on the candle wax - it came out of the carpet. Oh not without effort, but it came out and no spot or stain remains...thank goodness!!

I've had a lot of other successes too - Krud Kutter removed latex paint from a pair of polyester soccer shorts and I've used it for other stain removal such as grass stains on jeans and tan pants, crayon marks on cotton tops and food stains such as ketchup and wine from cotton fabrics. I have also removed old latex paint from paint brushes using Krud Kutter!!

So I could continue on and on with all the luck I've had with this remarkable all purpose cleaner, but then I'd be here writing all day and you would be wondering if I'd ever stop!!

Final Thoughts
I can't praise Krud Kutter enough!! I've recommended it to several of my friends - one who is in the process of tearing off wallpaper. But I've also recommended it as a stain pre-treater - especially for those with kids.

If there is one thing I would like to see from the manufacturer of Krud Kutter, it would be a foaming Krud Kutter which would make removing wallpaper a little less messy. However, this is something I would love to see in addition to the Original Krud Kutter and Tough Task Remover.

As far as cost, Krud Kutter is somewhat on the pricey side. I think I paid over $5.00 for the 32 fl oz bottle I purchased but it is worth it!! Krud Kutter is very concentrated therefore it doesn't take much for any job you are doing, so it goes a long way.

Krud Kutter can be found in stores such as Wal-Mart, Ace Hardware, Lowe's, Home Depot, Sherwin Williams, among many other home improvement, hardware and paint stores. As I mentioned, I purchased mine in Target in the hardware section of the store vs the cleaning products isle. You can find a complete list of retailers where Krud Kutter can be purchased on their website at www.krudkutter.com.

Thanks for reading!!

I'd like to thank Larry & Helen and whoever else is responsible for getting this fabulous cleaner added to Epinions!! You all rock ;)