Become an expert at grilling with this easy to use grill!

Sep 16, 2007 (Updated Nov 3, 2007)

Pros:Large grill grate, easy clean up, easy to put together, great grill, priced right

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: It's a wonderful grill for beginners to experts. It is easy to set up, cleaner with the ash catcher, and priced low.

I asked for a charcoal grill after watching (and smelling) the wonderful smells coming from my neighbors yard every Saturday. I had never had a lot of good luck with gas grills and felt that it was no better than using the gas stove inside. My wonderful hubby surprised me with the Weber Gold shortly after I expressed my grill envy and desire to have food that smelled and tasted that good over in my back yard.

This grill has it all: plenty of space to cook for a crowd, easy one touch ventilation control, convenient ash catcher, and accessories galore that you can purchase from either the Weber website or various retail sources online or brick and mortar. I tossed out my gas grill after getting this one and purchased a copy of the book, "How to Grill: The Complete Illustrated Book of Barbecue Techniques" by Steven Raichlen. I would highly recommend getting the chimney starter as it works better than anything to light coals (lump charcoal works best) quickly. Set up is very fast as the directions take you step by step (with pictures even!) even though it should be a no brainer to set up for most. Out of the box, I had mine up and going within 15 minutes. With my trusty cookbook-slash-idiot proof instruction manual, I have turned out tasty meals time and time again.

The Weber Gold has a large round cooking grate which is roomy enough to cook enough meat for a small party. Both sides of my grate fold up so that I can either add more coals or have access to move around coals already lit. The coals themselves sit on their own grate and the ashes fall through to the bottom. There is ventilation control on the grill's top piece and also at the bottom which is great for temperature control. You can also use the bottom vent control to help sweep the ashes into the detachable pot on the bottom after you are done cooking and all of the coals or ash have cooled. That way, you don't have to stick your hands in there or get dirty. The pot detaches from the bottom with a sliding motion so you can take all of your ashes to dispose of in the trash or recycle in your garden/compost bin. It easily reattaches securely by lining up two slots with the pegs on the side of the pot, pushing up, and rotating the handle.

Learning to control the temperature is one of the ways to really 'bring your game up,' so to speak, and impress the family or dinner guests. There is an instructional cookbook Weber includes in the package that details things like direct/indirect cooking as well as temperature control that should help clarify things. The book I mentioned early in this review is also a wonderful resource for that as well.

I have now owned my grill for roughly three years now and am so glad we picked this brand. The form and function of it just can't be beat. It looks almost as new as the day I received it-the paint has never peeled or chipped, the metal legs and ash catcher pot still look weather free even though I store mine on the patio under just a simple Weber grill cover.

You won't be disappointed with this grill. I have traveled with mine half way across the U.S. and never had a problem packing it or putting it back together in the three states we have moved to-there are not that many parts to it which is part of the beauty of this grill. With the way it can be disassembled and reassembled so quickly, I consider it portable for tailgating.

With the quality of construction plus extra features and available add ons from various retail sources, you really are getting a great deal on the price.