Comments on "Dermabond": Think Twice if Your Hospital or Doc Wants to Stick It to You!" (20 total)
  Comment Sorted by
Date Written
Re: Might it be time (again
by henry_thoreau
Nah, there's no need for any "update."

Hope you and yours are doing well of late, Pat.

Best regards,
Apr 23, 2013
6:32 pm PDT

Might it be time (again?) for an update?
by aohcapablanca
The topic is VERY important.

And you wrote, Mike:

"P.S.: Subsequent experiences using an OTC product doubly convinced me that certain "merely" "adhesive" products —including, I assume, Dermabond itself— can indeed be admirably effective for certain purposes. I allude to a product called "New Skin Antiseptic Liquid Bandage," which I subsequently reviewed (on March 20th 2008)."

Live long and unbandaged.

Cordially

Patrick K/AOHCAPABLANCA
Apr 23, 2013
2:52 pm PDT

Re: Re: Re: re: above. Right on!
by henry_thoreau
Indeed, Pat. But let me repeat that that somewhat analogous "OTC" product that I mention below ("New Skin Antiseptic Liquid Bandage," available at such stores as Walmart) is something that I DO continue to rely on for certain purposes. Keep some of that stuff ever available in your medicine cabinet, sir!

Jun 16, 2012
10:31 am PDT

Re: Re: re: above. Right on!
by aohcapablanca
Bully for you, Mike. I like your spunk.

Not the kind of product we'd like anywhere near Walden Pond.

Patrick K/AOHCAPABLANCA
Jun 15, 2012
5:47 pm PDT

Re: re: above
by henry_thoreau
Thanks for your comment; I basically don't disagree with your information. But I'll stand by what I wrote last year, including those portions (as near the end) where I granted that applying Dermabond could indeed make sense for those particular body areas that are not subject to stress/motion and/or moisture/perspiration. There’s an appropriate time and place for its use; but I wrote my review (and, yes, rated the product) precisely the way I did because (after my extremely costly and disappointing experience) I wanted to get/call the public's attention to the evident fact that Dermabond can potentially be overused (or over-relied on) by supposedly knowledgeable health "professionals" (?!) in ER (and presumably other) settings. The only way to get the (presumably unsuspecting) public's attention, I figured, was to be downright emphatic about the whole issue and to assign a low rating that was based on MY personal experience with the product.

That said, let me take this opportunity to add that subsequent experiences using an OTC product convinced me that certain "merely" "adhesive" products —including, I assume, Dermabond— can indeed be admirably effective for certain purposes. I allude to a product called "New Skin Antiseptic Liquid Bandage," which I subsequently reviewed (on March 20th 2008). Here's an URL to that review: epinions.com/content_421518478980

Mike

P.S.: Tell you what, I'll shortly very slightly revise this Dermabond review by adding a postscript. And so, I doubly thank you for your input in this thread! :-)
Jul 31, 2008
5:51 am PDT

re: above
by firemedic1337
comming from first hand expieriance with dermabond and using it myself, no it is not and should not be used on highly mobile areas of the body, best use for it is the face and other less movable areas that WILL stay nice and dry at least 24 hours after application, it is a great tool for minor uncomplicated lacerations in uncomplicated areas that can be approximated well, ive seen its use followed up with steri-strip application with benzoin glue (even though the instruction il-advise any kind of adhesive on the dermabond after its applied) also in re to the above, yes antibiotic treatment would be a good thing, oral atx treatment is always good for infection prophalaxsis espesially when a lac is on the foot, but dont destroy the name of the dermabond because the ER was stupid, fingers, toes, areas of high moisture, or places with high range of motion, dont get dermabond, get sutures, small lac's on the face that approximate well, go ahead and use it up, works great on kids as long as the parents complie with wound care, making sure it stays nice and dry, kids heal great with dermabond usually, as long as the practitioner knows what there doing when using dermabond, and a good doc will know when sutures are good or when dermabond is good, or a pressure dressing some atx ointment and a coban wrap is fine
Jul 30, 2008
11:31 am PDT

Re: Maddening!
Sadly true, Kathryn.

Thanks much for stopping by, and have a great year!

Jan 14, 2008
8:39 am PST

Maddening!
by akauffma
Just another reminder that you can't surrender your body to the medical community and assume they'll do right by it.

Thanks for the review!

Best,

Kathryn
Jan 13, 2008
10:39 am PST

Re: Can be useful
by henry_thoreau
Perhaps my piece seemed unduly negative re Dermabond. I do agree that it makes sense for appropriate areas/purposes. But an ER applying it to the lower/inner side of the big toe (a "high-tension" area, for sure!) was stupid and, arguably, amounted to malpractice (not that I intend to cause the local hospital people any trouble, even though I do still resent their cavalier attitudes and, not least, the outrageous amount of their bill).

Re the ice storm, so far, my electricity's still on (though some in the metro-KC area have already lost power). The last such storm (over five years ago) caused many thousands of people in Kansas City (mostly in the older areas, as on the Missouri side of State Line) to go without power for at least a week; but in my (newer) neighborhood, there were no outages (though there was tremendous tree damage; the very tall evergreen in my front yard was so damaged that I subsequently had to pay about $650 to have it removed).

Thanks, Doc. Great to have you back; please drop by again! (And "happy holidays" yourself!)

Dec 11, 2007
10:58 am PST

Can be useful
by bettega
Dermabond works really well in low tension areas where you don't want scarring such as the face. I have seen Dermabond work best in places such as eyelids and whatnot where you really don't want to apply sutures.

It's good to be back, been missing a lot of epinions fun wrestling with crappy software, but I managed to customize it enough so that things are going reasonably well.

Happy holidays, and good luck with the ice storm!

Ciao
Bettega
Dec 11, 2007
3:55 am PST

Re: This review is going to stick
by henry_thoreau
Thanks, Vas. At this stage what mostly sticks in MY memory is the infuriatingly large bill I grudgingly paid for the ER's lousy "service". [Not to mention my regular doc (who, like so many American docs, is characteristically a tad irritatingly arrogant) subsequently billed me nearly $100 for having spent five minutes to wrap my toe and write an Rx.]

That's U.S. "health care" for ya!
Nov 29, 2007
5:39 pm PST

This review is going to stick
by lammet
to my mind a long time! Don't know how many other people could turn a med product review into FUN reading. Mike, I would bow, but my desk is rather confined at the moment and I might cut myself and need Dermabond.
:o)
-Vasilis
Nov 29, 2007
2:51 pm PST

Re: Sorry this didn't work out ...
by henry_thoreau
Diana, good point. I was so fed up with the "uncooperativeness" that I subsequently received from some of the ER staff (when I'd phoned them back shortly after arriving home) that I hadn't thereafter been of a mind to talk further with any of them. But, what the heck, at very least I could leave them a brief message along the lines you mentioned below.

Mike

P.S.: In retrospect, although it was a close call, I don't think sutures were actually necessary for my particular cut after it was initially cleaned. I think the ER gal just should've done what my regular doc did a few days later (as described in my review). Oh well.
Nov 17, 2007
3:45 pm PST

Sorry this didn't work out ...
by dianapinions

Yes, it seems that using Dermabond on a body part that bends and moves every time we walk wasn't appropriate. So sorry you had to go through that.

That being said, have you considered writing to that young doctor, and copying the Director of the Emergency Room, about your experience?

I'm certain that the doctor was just trying to avoid putting you through the discomfort of sutures. The doctor will be distressed to learn that the Dermabond didn't work out, in your case. Undoubtedly, this doctor won't make the same mistake twice, the next time they see someone with a laceration near a moving, or sweat-producing body part.

Too late to do you any good, but you'd be helping the next person ....

Diana
Nov 17, 2007
9:14 am PST

Re: I would wonder whether the issue here isn't so much...
by henry_thoreau
Nick, thanks for your comment.

You're entirely correct that the ER staff used the wrong product for my specific cut. But I'm confident there would've been NO way to apply it to that area with any realistic expectation it would stick well or long. As we all know, there's more than a bit of sweat between the toes; and Dermabond's own "literature" mentions (in so many words) that it's not compatible with much perspiration. The ER staff absolutely should've known all this. They should've done exactly what my regular doc subsequently did. But methinks they wanted to believe they were more "cutting-edge” than that. Alas, the cruelest cut of all was their subsequent bill! ;-(
Nov 13, 2007
6:43 pm PST

I would wonder whether the issue here isn't so much...
by NFP
...the product (which clearly didn't work in this application), or the ER staff that simply used the wrong product for your specific cut, which apparently was deeper than they recognized. In which they case they also may not have applied it correctly.

Good case history, nicely done. nick
Nov 13, 2007
9:41 am PST

Re: &
by henry_thoreau
Precisely! (You've summed up the situation "to a tee", T.) ;-)
Nov 9, 2007
8:09 am PST

&
by virtuelle2
I think you've got more common sense than some of those ER docs, Mike! These glue thingys have to be applied in places where there's less physical stress on the wound. I'd have done what your regular doc did myself - most important to keep the wound edges apposed as well as possible for the first few days till some granulation tissue (healing tissue) forms.

But you knew that already.

Glad to know the wound's completely healed at last. Fine warning to all out there.

~ T.
Nov 9, 2007
5:41 am PST

Re: Dermabond
by henry_thoreau
Peggy, thanks for your comment.

You bring up a good point:

In certain instances where the choice would be either stitches or Dermabond, the latter might merit strong consideration. [In my case stitches were deemed unnecessary, and so a conventional, self-adhering, cloth-bandage wrap, together with (initially) a bit of antibiotic ointment (followed by much "air-drying") could suffice.]

In any case, I do think it also greatly depends on the particular body area. I can't imagine that (even had my “between-the-toes” cut been so severe as to merit stitches) Dermabond could have adhered long or completely enough in that particular body area.

Nov 8, 2007
9:16 am PST

Dermabond
by pilarzmom
I had some surgery with a very small incision that was closed with this. It did fine but I always felt uneasy. But I do have to say in the end (a year later) the scar was much better than had it been stitched. I do believe you're correct in saying it works better in some areas than others.

Peggy