Well, I Was Bored...blackrose4eva's Boring W/O

by
Aug 17, 2004

The Bottom Line Hopefully this won't bore you too much...

I've been in a writer's slump lately and I just can't seem to produce one of my award-winning reviews (yeah right). So, what better way to help me out of my slump than joining yet another write-off? This one is from blackrose4eva and I thought this was cool.

And now, for my answers...

1. Who named you, and what does your name mean?

I believe the story goes like this: when it came time to naming me, my parents knew they wanted to name me Dionne, after the singer Dionne Warrick, so they went to the record store to check the spelling of her name. No, I don’t sing like her, can’t sing a lick, but I have told people she was my cousin and they believed me. It was a highlight for me. I'm not sure how my middle name came about. So that’s how I got my name and I’m happy with it.

2. Which is better: Classic Coca-Cola or C2 Coca-Cola?

Actually, I’m a 7-Up or Sprite kinda gal, but choosing from this list, I’d have to say Classic all the way.

3. Are you a pessimistic or optimistic?

I like to think of myself as an optimist, although there are times when it’s just so unbearable, I have to think of the worst. But, I get through those tough times by believing that God will prevail and guide me in the right direction. Usually after that, things look up.

4. If you can rule the world for 1 hour, what will you do?

One hour?!?!? Are you serious?!?!?! Goodness gracious, that’s not enough time. I mean, I gotta watch All My Children for crying out loud. To be honest, although I think I’m a good leader, ruling the world would be too much for me. I’d graciously bow out of this one and pass it on to someone else. Of course, if they do a crappy job, you can always blame me. I’m a big girl, I can take it.

5. Who do you think is the WORST actor/actress in history to date?

I can’t act to save my life, so I stay out of the acting business and leave that to the professionals. At this point in time, I can’t think of the absolute worst actor/actress because most of the actors/actresses I’ve seen are just so darn good. So, I plead the 5th on this one.

6. Which gender do you think should dominate: women or men?

Women – like you have to ask me that question.

7. Do you think education should be free or be paid for? If you pay for it, do you think it is really worth it?

I was lucky enough to attend and graduate college and even though I think the prices get a little ridiculous at times, I thought it was totally worth it. As for being free or paid for, nothing in life is free. You pay in some way, shape or form. So, yes, it should be paid for, but it should be reasonable for all that want the opportunity.

8. What do you think about the recent gas prices?

Don’t get me started. I’m in Canada now and it’s a different system, but even here, it’s ridiculous. I mean 93 cents/litre for gas. That calculates to around $4-5/gallon or something like that. Energy-efficient cars – there’s one I’d love to own.

9. Do you think animals have feelings? If so, why are you eating them? (Assuming you are not a vegetarian)

Yes, I think animals have feelings. We are all animals. We need food to survive.

10. If you can only have one, which would you choose: a heart or a brain?

I’m selfish. I like my brain because I’ve got some interesting things stored in there. Besides, I have a great memory – I remember practically everything. I love my heart because I think I’m a kind-hearted person. I can't choose, I want them both.

11. How much can a woodchuck chuck wood?

I really don’t care. I mean, that’s his business.

12. In your opinion, do you believe that people--especially the younger generations--are taking HIV and STDs seriously? Why or Why not?

I really can’t say. All I know is that for some reason, I’ve noticed most of the younger generations I’ve seen have some interesting thoughts about sex and health. Most of them feel they are immune to any diseases and that scares me. It seems that most (the ones I’ve been around) think that sex is as casual as kissing and that’s even more scary. I would hope that people are aware of the dangers of HIV and STDs. It seems that since it’s not the main topic of discussion as it was in the early 90s when it was all we could talk about, people seem to think that it’s not that big a deal anymore. I’m not here to preach, but I just hope that in this day and age, we are making ourselves aware of the importance of practicing safe sex. I also hope that parents are having discussions with their children about sex and all the responsibilities that go with it. I also just hope that people don’t wait until something tragic happens before they realize that it can happen to them. Okay, I need to stop now, or I’ll go on about this for about two pages.

13. What do you think about the idea of spanking your child--assuming he/she misbehaves--as a form of discipline?

This was a topic that came up in my Social Psychology class and it turned into a heated debate for two classes. Here’s the deal. I was spanked as a child and I learned my lessons from those spankings. I sometimes had a fresh mouth and it got me into trouble at times. I think I turned out fine. My parents aren’t ogres and they don’t have horns coming out of their heads (although as a child, there were times I thought they were from another planet). They grew up in a different time where spanking was accepted and they also turned out fine. My mom was spanked as a child. She told me her stories and by today’s standards she would have been considered abused. However, we never got spankings to that affect and she vowed never to do that to us. My feelings on the subject of spanking are this: I feel it’s okay to give a child a smack on the bottom, but I don’t believe in punching the daylights out of a child that renders them unconscious. That’s just plain crazy. People who do that should have their children taken from them. Will I spank my children? I don’t know. It’s quite possible I might, but I will not do anything to harm them. I don’t think that would make me a bad person or a child abuser either. But that’s just me.

14. Do you like people? (Be honest)

I’m a people-person. I love to be around people. But there are those times when I just don’t want to be bothered with anyone and if you try to come near me, you better be thick-skinned. My theory is this – treat others how you want to be treated.

15. You have a lion, a goat, and a bundle of hay. You need to cross a river by using a small boat, which can ONLY carry you and something of your choice (the lion or the goat or the hay). You CANNOT, for example, bring the lion along with the goat, etc. Nobody can swim across the river or make or bridge, etc. You MUST use the boat.

Question: how do you cross the river bringing the lion, the goat, and the hay? You are allowed to make more than one trip.

Hint: Remember, if you leave the lion alone with the goat, he will eat it. If you leave the goat alone with the hay, he will eat it. There are different ways of solving this problem. If you can't figure it out, I'll tell you at the bottom of this page.

This question always seems to come up at leadership retreats that I attend. It’s pretty cool too. Okay, here goes: Take the goat first. Cross the river. Go back and take the lion. Cross the river. When you get there, leave the lion and take the goat. Go back. When you get back, take the hay and leave the goat. Cross the river. Leave the hay with the lion. Go back. Finally, take the goat. Cross the river.

*Extra* 17. What is your WORST job ever? Are you still in it?

I don’t know if this was my WORST job, but I worked in Customer Relations for a tag and label company when I was in New York. It bugged me that I would have ideas and my immediate supervisor would pass them off as his own. I couldn’t really do anything about it except twiddle my thumbs. It bugged me, so I left and moved to Alaska. Okay it didn’t happen exactly like that, but after a while I just got tired of it, so I left.

...yeah. I'm bored.

Click here to join in and read the other participants.

Location: PEI, Canada
About Me: Mom of 3 Boys, Wife, Entrepreneur, Daughter, Sister, Friend, and much more.