Bush Quote Project : Iraq War

Aug 17, 2004

The Bottom Line When he said, what he said. Mainly Bush quotes.

I present about half of a compilation of information, quotes and comments I call the Bush Quote Project.

The comments have been kept to a minimum.
It was last updated August 17th, 2004

THE QUOTE PROJECT: WORDS OF WAR; OUR PRESIDENT’S MOUTH
Quotes of George W Bush and associates, a few article excerpts and a few other goodies.

There can be no peace if our security depends on the will and whims of a ruthless and aggressive dictator. I'm not willing to stake one American life on trusting Saddam Hussein.
--George W. Bush
(Comment: Yet many American lives have been lost or forever tragically altered in pursuit of finding WMDs that do not exist).

WAR DEATHS AND INJURIES (through 8/11/04)

As of August 11th there have been 945 American killed since March of 2003 in Iraq.
In addition there has been 65 UK citizens killed and 63 other ‘coalition force causalities’ for a total of 1073 killed. (33 Americans have died so far this month. 54 last month).

There has also been at least 125 non-military , non Iraq contractors killed in the war from several nations including the United States.

There have been 2,711 Americans injured slightly and returned to duty within 72 hours. There have been 3,565 Americans injured more seriously who have not returned to duty. In the first 11 days of August 133 Americans have been seriously injured (and 33 killed).

There have been 30,000 Iraqi military killed since 3/2003.
It is estimated more than 37,000 Iraqi civilians have been killed since 3/2003 through 8/11/04

We actually misnamed the war on terror, it ought to be the 'struggle against ideological extremists who do not believe in free societies who happen to use terror as a weapon to try to shake the conscience of the free world.'
--George W. Bush Washington, D.C., Aug. 6, 2004

REMEMBER: 2002
Bush in an unprecedented move used a large portion of his State of the Union Address to make a compelling case for possibly going to war in Iraq.

State of the UNION January 29 2002

Iraq continues to flaunt its hostility toward America and to support terror. The Iraqi regime has plotted to develop anthrax, and nerve gas, and nuclear weapons for over a decade. States like these, and their terrorist allies, constitute an axis of evil, arming to threaten the peace of the world. By seeking weapons of mass destruction, these regimes pose a grave and growing danger. They could provide these arms to terrorists, giving them the means to match their hatred. They could attack our allies or attempt to blackmail the United States. In any of these cases, the price of indifference would be catastrophic.

We will work closely with our coalition to deny terrorists and their state sponsors the materials, technology, and expertise to make and deliver weapons of mass destruction. We will develop and deploy effective missile defenses to protect America and our allies from sudden attack. (Applause.) And all nations should know: America will do what is necessary to ensure our nation's security.

We'll be deliberate, yet time is not on our side. I will not wait on events, while dangers gather. I will not stand by, as peril draws closer and closer. The United States of America will not permit the world's most dangerous regimes to threaten us with the world's most destructive weapons. (Applause.)

Our war on terror is well begun, but it is only begun. This campaign may not be finished on our watch-- yet it must be and it will be waged on our watch.

1 year later he again used the State of the Union speech to put us on a fast-track toward war with Iraq.

STATE OF THE UNION January 28th 2003 :

Today, the gravest danger in the war on terror, the gravest danger facing America and the world, is outlaw regimes that seek and possess nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons. These regimes could use such weapons for blackmail, terror, and mass murder. They could also give or sell those weapons to terrorist allies, who would use them without the least hesitation.

This threat is new; America's duty is familiar. Throughout the 20th century, small groups of men seized control of great nations, built armies and arsenals, and set out to dominate the weak and intimidate the world. In each case, their ambitions of cruelty and murder had no limit. In each case, the ambitions of Hitlerism, militarism, and communism were defeated by the will of free peoples, by the strength of our alliances, and by the might of the United States of America. (Applause.)

Almost three months ago, the United Nations Security Council gave Saddam Hussein his final chance to disarm. He has shown instead utter contempt for the United Nations, and for the opinion of the world. The 108 U.N. inspectors were sent to conduct -- were not sent to conduct a scavenger hunt for hidden materials across a country the size of California. The job of the inspectors is to verify that Iraq's regime is disarming. It is up to Iraq to show exactly where it is hiding its banned weapons, lay those weapons out for the world to see, and destroy them as directed. Nothing like this has happened.

The United Nations concluded in 1999 that Saddam Hussein had biological weapons sufficient to produce over 25,000 liters of anthrax -- enough doses to kill several million people. He hasn't accounted for that material. He's given no evidence that he has destroyed it.

The United Nations concluded that Saddam Hussein had materials sufficient to produce more than 38,000 liters of botulinum toxin -- enough to subject millions of people to death by respiratory failure. He hadn't accounted for that material. He's given no evidence that he has destroyed it.

Our intelligence officials estimate that Saddam Hussein had the materials to produce as much as 500 tons of sarin, mustard and VX nerve agent. In such quantities, these chemical agents could also kill untold thousands. He's not accounted for these materials. He has given no evidence that he has destroyed them.

U.S. intelligence indicates that Saddam Hussein had upwards of 30,000 munitions capable of delivering chemical agents. Inspectors recently turned up 16 of them -- despite Iraq's recent declaration denying their existence. Saddam Hussein has not accounted for the remaining 29,984 of these prohibited munitions. He's given no evidence that he has destroyed them.

From three Iraqi defectors we know that Iraq, in the late 1990s, had several mobile biological weapons labs. These are designed to produce germ warfare agents, and can be moved from place to a place to evade inspectors. Saddam Hussein has not disclosed these facilities. He's given no evidence that he has destroyed them.

The International Atomic Energy Agency confirmed in the 1990s that Saddam Hussein had an advanced nuclear weapons development program, had a design for a nuclear weapon and was working on five different methods of enriching uranium for a bomb. The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa. Our intelligence sources tell us that he has attempted to purchase high-strength aluminum tubes suitable for nuclear weapons production. Saddam Hussein has not credibly explained these activities. He clearly has much to hide.

Year after year, Saddam Hussein has gone to elaborate lengths, spent enormous sums, taken great risks to build and keep weapons of mass destruction. But why? The only possible explanation, the only possible use he could have for those weapons, is to dominate, intimidate, or attack.

With nuclear arms or a full arsenal of chemical and biological weapons, Saddam Hussein could resume his ambitions of conquest in the Middle East and create deadly havoc in that region. And this Congress and the America people must recognize another threat. Evidence from intelligence sources, secret communications, and statements by people now in custody reveal that Saddam Hussein aids and protects terrorists, including members of al Qaeda. Secretly, and without fingerprints, he could provide one of his hidden weapons to terrorists, or help them develop their own.

Before September the 11th, many in the world believed that Saddam Hussein could be contained. But chemical agents, lethal viruses and shadowy terrorist networks are not easily contained. Imagine those 19 hijackers with other weapons and other plans -- this time armed by Saddam Hussein. It would take one vial, one canister, one crate slipped into this country to bring a day of horror like none we have ever known. We will do everything in our power to make sure that that day never comes. (Applause.)

(Comment: Bush makes Saudi hijackers into possible Iraqi agents of Saddam—no Saddam Al Qaeda connection then, none now, no actual weapons of mass destruction then or now, no chemical or biological weapons then or now, and some of this information was known to be completely wrong even as he read it to the entire nation as part of this State of the Union address)

Some have said we must not act until the threat is imminent. Since when have terrorists and tyrants announced their intentions, politely putting us on notice before they strike? If this threat is permitted to fully and suddenly emerge, all actions, all words, and all recriminations would come too late. Trusting in the sanity and restraint of Saddam Hussein is not a strategy, and it is not an option. (Applause.)

The dictator who is assembling the world's most dangerous weapons has already used them on whole villages -- leaving thousands of his own citizens dead, blind, or disfigured. Iraqi refugees tell us how forced confessions are obtained -- by torturing children while their parents are made to watch. International human rights groups have catalogued other methods used in the torture chambers of Iraq: electric shock, burning with hot irons, dripping acid on the skin, mutilation with electric drills, cutting out tongues, and rape. If this is not evil, then evil has no meaning. (Applause.)

And tonight I have a message for the brave and oppressed people of Iraq: Your enemy is not surrounding your country -- your enemy is ruling your country. (Applause.) And the day he and his regime are removed from power will be the day of your liberation. (Applause.)

The world has waited 12 years for Iraq to disarm. America will not accept a serious and mounting threat to our country, and our friends and our allies. The United States will ask the U.N. Security Council to convene on February the 5th to consider the facts of Iraq's ongoing defiance of the world. Secretary of State Powell will present information and intelligence about Iraqi's legal -- Iraq's illegal weapons programs, its attempt to hide those weapons from inspectors, and its links to terrorist groups.

We will consult. But let there be no misunderstanding: If Saddam Hussein does not fully disarm, for the safety of our people and for the peace of the world, we will lead a coalition to disarm him. (Applause.)

Sending Americans into battle is the most profound decision a President can make. The technologies of war have changed; the risks and suffering of war have not. For the brave Americans who bear the risk, no victory is free from sorrow. This nation fights reluctantly, because we know the cost and we dread the days of mourning that always come.

We seek peace. We strive for peace. And sometimes peace must be defended. A future lived at the mercy of terrible threats is no peace at all. If war is forced upon us, we will fight in a just cause and by just means -- sparing, in every way we can, the innocent. And if war is forced upon us, we will fight with the full force and might of the United States military -- and we will prevail. (Applause.)

And as we and our coalition partners are doing in Afghanistan, we will bring to the Iraqi people food and medicines and supplies -- and freedom. (Applause.)

Americans are a free people, who know that freedom is the right of every person and the future of every nation. The liberty we prize is not America's gift to the world, it is God's gift to humanity. (Applause.)

We Americans have faith in ourselves, but not in ourselves alone. We do not know -- we do not claim to know all the ways of Providence, yet we can trust in them, placing our confidence in the loving God behind all of life, and all of history.

May He guide us now. And may God continue to bless the United States of America. (Applause.)

State of the Union
January 29th, 2003

President Jimmy Carter January 31, 2002 EXCERPT from a statement From THE CARTER CENTER.

"...The heartfelt sympathy and friendship offered to America after the 9/11 attacks, even from formerly antagonistic regimes, has been largely dissipated; increasingly unilateral and domineering policies have brought international trust in our country to its lowest level in memory....."
“Even if…lies and trickery by Saddam Hussein are exposed, this will not indicate any real or proximate threat by Iraq to the United States or to our allies.
"With overwhelming military strength now deployed against him and with intense monitoring from space surveillance and the U.N. inspection team on the ground, any belligerent move by Saddam against a neighbor would be suicidal….If Iraq does possess such concealed weapons, as is quite likely, Saddam would use them only in
the most extreme circumstances, in the face of an invasion of Iraq, when all hope of avoiding the destruction of his regime is lost….
"The cost of an on-site inspection team would be minuscule compared to war, Saddam would have no choice except to comply, the results would be certain, military and civilian casualties would be avoided, there would be almost unanimous worldwide support, and the United States could regain its leadership in combating the real threat of international terrorism.”
(Excerpt from a statement from The Carter Center, January 31, 2003)

Simply stated, there is no doubt that Saddam Hussein now has weapons of mass destruction.
--Dick Cheney Speech to VFW National Convention August 26, 2002

With those attacks, the terrorists and their supporters declared war on the United States. And war is what they got. --- George W. Bush

It is clear our nation is reliant upon big foreign oil. More and more of our imports come from overseas.
--George W. Bush

Use power to help people. For we are given power not to advance our own purposes nor to make a great show in the world, nor a name. There is but one just use of power and it is to serve people.
--George W. Bush

We can't allow the world's worst leaders to blackmail, threaten, hold freedom-loving nations hostage with the world's worst weapons.
--George W. Bush

Saddam Hussein is a homicidal dictator who is addicted to weapons of mass destruction.
--George W. Bush

If the Iraqi regime is able to produce, buy or steal an amount of highly enriched uranium a little larger than a single softball, [it] could have a nuclear weapon in less than a year.
--George W. Bush

"See, we love — we love freedom. That's what they didn't understand. They hate things; we love things. They act out of hatred; we don't seek revenge, we seek justice out of love." —George W. Bush, Oklahoma City, Aug. 29, 2002

Right now, Iraq is expanding and improving facilities that were used for the production of biological weapons.
--George W. Bush Speech to UN General Assembly 9/12/2002

"The danger to our country is grave. The danger to our country is growing. The Iraqi regime possesses biological and chemical weapons.... The regime is seeking a nuclear bomb, and with fissile material, could build one within a year....The dangers we face will only worsen from month to month and from year to year. To ignore these threats is to encourage them. And when they have fully materialized it may be too late to protect ourselves and our friends and our allies. By then the Iraqi dictator would have the means to terrorize and dominate the region. Each passing day could be the one on which the Iraqi regime gives anthrax or VX - nerve gas - or some day a nuclear weapon to a terrorist ally."
-- George W. Bush Rose Garden remarks, September 26, 2002

If he declares he has none, then we will know that Saddam Hussein is once again misleading the world.
--Ari Fleischer Press Briefing
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/12/20021202-6.html December 2, 2002

We know for a fact that there are weapons there.
Ari Fleischer Press Briefing

We know that Saddam Hussein is determined to keep his weapons of mass destruction, is determined to make more.
--Colin Powell Remarks to UN Security Council
February 5, 2003

The burden is on Iraq to comply and disarm. Inspectors are inspectors, not detectives.... Saddam Hussein and his regime are doing everything they can to make sure the inspectors find absolutely nothing...

We must not shrink from whatever is ahead of us. We must not fail in our duty and our responsibilities. Clearly, Saddam will stop at nothing until something stops him.

Colin Powell briefing to the UN Security Council, 6 February:

We have sources that tell us that Saddam Hussein recently authorized Iraqi field commanders to use chemical weapons -- the very weapons the dictator tells us he does not have.
Radio Address 2/8/03

Before we take the decision to go to war, the morality of that should weigh heavily on our conscience because innocent people, as well as the guilty, die in a war. But the alternative is to carry on with a sanctions regime which, because of the way Saddam Hussein implements it, leads to thousands of people dying needlessly in Iraq every year.

UK Prime Minister Tony Blair, speaking on the BBC's Iraq:
Britain Decides programme, 12 February:
So has the strategic decision been made to disarm Iraq of its weapons of mass destruction by the leadership in Baghdad? . . . I think our judgment has to be clearly not.
--Colin Powell Remarks to UN Security Council March 7, 2003

The credibility of the UN is important to the world... The question before the United Nations is clear: Is Saddam Hussein taking this final opportunity that was offered by Resolution 1441 to disarm or not?

And the answer to the question, it strikes me, is increasingly obvious. He makes a show of destroying a handful of missiles; missiles which he claimed in his declaration did not violate UN restrictions, but now admits that they do violate UN restrictions.

He claims to have no chemical or biological weapons, yet we know he continues to hide biological and chemical weapons, moving them to different locations as often as every 12 to 24 hours, and placing them in residential neighbourhoods.

US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, speaking to the press, March 12, 2003

Intelligence gathered by this and other governments leaves no doubt that the Iraq regime continues to possess and conceal some of the most lethal weapons ever devised.
--George W. Bush Address to the Nation March 17, 2003

Iraq continues to deny that it has any WMD, though no serious intelligence service anywhere in the world believes them.
--Tony Blair, speaking to the House of Commons, March18 2003

The Iraqi regime has used diplomacy as a ploy to gain time and advantage. It has uniformly defied Security Council resolutions demanding full disarmament.

The danger is clear: using chemical, biological, or, one day, nuclear weapons obtained with the help of Iraq, the terrorists could fulfill their stated ambitions and kill thousands of hundreds of thousands of innocent people in our country or any other...

Under Resolutions 678 and 687, both still in effect, the United States and our allies are authorized to use force in ridding Iraq of weapons of mass destruction...

Today, no nation can possibly claim that Iraq has disarmed. And it will not disarm so long as Saddam Hussein holds power.
--George W. Bush’s ultimatum to Saddam Hussein, March 18, 2003

--Colin Powell
Remarks to UN Security Council
March 7, 2003

US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, speaking to the press, March 12, 2003
There is no doubt that the regime of Saddam Hussein possesses weapons of mass destruction. And . . . as this operation continues, those weapons will be identified, found, along with the people who have produced them and who guard them.
--Gen. Tommy Franks Press Conference March 22, 2003

Our cause is just, the security of the nations we serve and the peace of the world. And our mission is clear, to disarm Iraq of weapons of mass destruction, to end Saddam Hussein's support for terrorism, and to free the Iraqi people. --George W. Bush March 22, 2003 Radio Address

One of our top objectives is to find and destroy the WMD. There are a number of sites.
--Pentagon Spokeswoman Victoria Clark Press Briefing March 22, 2003

I have no doubt we're going to find big stores of weapons of mass destruction.
--Defense Policy Board member Kenneth Adelman Washington Post March 23, 2003

We have prevented the dictator from launching missiles from key sites in western Iraq. We are now fighting the most desperate units of the dictator's army. The fighting is fierce and we do not know its duration, yet we know the outcome of this battle: The Iraqi regime will be disarmed and removed from power. Iraq will be free.

Every atrocity has confirmed the justice and urgency of our cause. Against this enemy, we will accept no outcome but complete and final victory. To meet this objective, we must give our armed services the support and resources they require. I have asked Congress for a nearly $75 billion wartime supplemental

--George W Bush March 29, 2003 radio address

We know where they are. They're in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south and north somewhat.
-- Donald Rumsfeld, ABC Interview March 30, 2003

Free nations will not sit and wait, leaving enemies free to plot another September the 11th -- this time, perhaps, with chemical, biological, or nuclear terror. We'll remove weapons of mass destruction from the hands of mass murderers. And by defending our own security, we are ridding the people of Iraq from one of the cruelest regimes on earth. The United States and our allies pledged to act if the dictator did not disarm. The regime in Iraq is now learning that we keep our word.
--George W. Bush April 5 2003 Radio Address

I think you have always heard, and you continue to hear from officials, a measure of high confidence that, indeed, the weapons of mass destruction will be found.
--Ari Fleischer Press Briefing April 10, 2003

"When we make a pledge, we mean it. We keep our word, and what we begin, we will finish."
--George W. Bush April 15 , 2003 Comment to reporters

Today, civil order is being restored in communities throughout Iraq, and Iraqis themselves are helping in the effort. Iraqis are leading coalition forces to caches of weapons and volunteering for citizen patrols to provide security. In Basra, British forces and Iraqis have formed joint patrols to maintain order. Just days after the fall of the dictator, just days after the people of Iraq realized they were free from the clutches of his terror, the Iraqi people are reclaiming their own streets, their own country, and their own future. (Applause.)
--George W. Bush April 16, 2003 Boeing Integrated Defense Systems Headquarters Boeing F-18 Production Facility St. Louis, Missouri

In Iraq, we are defending this nation's security. After the attacks of September the 11th, 2001, we will not allow grave threats to go unopposed. (Applause.) We are now working to locate and destroy Iraq's weapons of mass destruction. (Applause.)

Iraqis with firsthand knowledge of these programs, including several top officials who have come forward recently -- some voluntarily -- (laughter) -- others not -- (laughter) -- are beginning to cooperate, are beginning to let us know what the facts were on the ground. And that's important because the regime of Saddam Hussein spent years hiding and disguising his weapons. He tried to fool the United Nations, and did for 12 years, by hiding these weapons. (Applause.) And so, it's going to take time to find them. But we know he had them. And whether he destroyed them, moved them, or hid them, we're going to find out the truth. And one thing is for certain: Saddam Hussein no longer threatens America with weapons of mass destruction.

Our mission -- besides removing the regime that threatened us, besides ending a place where the terrorists could find a friend, besides getting rid of weapons of mass destruction -- our mission has been to bring a humanitarian aid and restore basic services, and put this country, Iraq, on the road to self- government. And we'll stay as long as it takes to complete our mission. And then all our forces are going to leave Iraq and come home. (Applause.)

The path to freedom may not always be neat and orderly, but it is the right of every person and every nation. This country believes that freedom is God's gift to every individual on the face of the Earth. (Applause.)
April 24, 2003 Remarks at Lima Army Tank Plant - Lima, Ohio

I looked at the intelligence and saw a threat in Iraq. The United States Congress looked at the same intelligence, and they saw a threat. The United Nations Security Council looked at the intelligence, and it saw a threat. In fall of 2002, I went back to the United Nations, I said, look, why don't we deal with this threat together? We all see a threat, so why don't we get Saddam Hussein to do what the world has been demanding to do for over a decade, which is to reveal the weapons programs and get rid of him, for the sake of the security of the world. Your choice, Mr. Saddam. He said, no, I'm not interested. You see, given that choice whether to trust the word of a madman, a man who had used chemical weapons on his own people, or to defend our country, I will choose to defend America every time.
-- George W. Bush (comment: making the case the number one reason we went to war was because of Saddam’s attitude of defiance) Albuquerque, New Mexico, Mar. 26, 2004

The best way to protect us is to stay on the offensive and to find terrorists before they try to harm us again. And they will.
-- George W. Bush. Nashua, New Hampshire, Mar. 25, 2004

Saddam Hussein said, I'm not going to expose my weapons, I'm not going to get rid of my -- I'm not going to allow inspectors in, he said. But this is the same man who had used them. So I had to make a decision -- do I trust the word of madman, or do I remember the lessons of September the 11th?
-- George W. Bush. Louisville, Kentucky, Feb. 26, 2004 (And what part of Saddam didn’t have anything to do with September 11th does he not understand?)

Marching for war doesn't instill a lot of confidence in the future.
-- George W. Bush Washington, D.C., Feb. 19, 2004

More Muslims have died at the hands of killers than -- I say more Muslims -- a lot of Muslims have died -- I don't know the exact count -- at Istanbul. Look at these different places around the world where there's been tremendous death and destruction because killers kill.
--George W. Bush Feb. 18, 2004 Washington D.C.

I'm dealing with a world in which we have gotten struck by terrorists with airplanes, and we get intelligence saying that there is, you know, we want to harm America.
-- George W. Bush NBC's "Meet the Press", Feb. 8, 2004

I remember talking to the country after September the 11th, and reminding people that this would be a different kind of war we faced. Sometimes you'd see action, and sometimes you wouldn't, that we'd be on a manhunt to find the terrorists who destroyed us.
--George W. Bush Roswell, New Mexico, Jan. 22, 2004 ( comment: We’re sneaking up on them by going through Iraq first I guess.)

The world is more peaceful as a result of Saddam Hussein not being in power.
--George W. Bush Monterrey, Jan. 12, 2004 (Good to know huh?)

We are learning more as we interrogate or have discussions with Iraqi scientists and people within the Iraqi structure, that perhaps he destroyed some, perhaps he dispersed some. And so we will find them.
--George W. Bush NBC Interview http://www.talkingproud.us/EditorChoice042603.html
April 24, 2003

There are people who in large measure have information that we need, so that we can track down the weapons of mass destruction in that country.
Donald Rumsfeld
Press Briefing http://www.defenselink.mil/transcripts/2003/tr20030425-secdef0126.html
April 25, 2003

"We've got hundreds of sites to exploit, looking for the chemical and biological weapons that we know Saddam Hussein had prior to our entrance into Iraq."
—George W. Bush, Santa Clara, Calif., May 2, 2003

We'll find them. It'll be a matter of time to do so.
--George W. Bush Remarks to Reporters
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2003/05/20030503-1.html May 3, 2003

"We ended the rule of one of history's worst tyrants, and in so doing, we not only freed the American people, we made our own people more secure."
—George W. Bush, Crawford, Texas, May 3, 2003

I'm absolutely sure that there are weapons of mass destruction there and the evidence will be forthcoming. We're just getting it just now.
--Colin Powell Remarks to Reporters http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2003/20166.htm
May 4, 2003

We never believed that we'd just tumble over weapons of mass destruction in that country.
-- Donald Rumsfeld Fox News Interview May 4, 2003

I'm not surprised if we begin to uncover the weapons program of Saddam Hussein -- because he had a weapons program.
--George W. Bush Remarks to Reporters May 6, 2003

"I think war is a dangerous place." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., May 7, 2003

U.S. officials never expected that "we were going to open garages and find" weapons of mass destruction.
--Condoleeza Rice Reuters Interview May 12, 2003

I just don't know whether it was all destroyed years ago -- I mean, there's no question that there were chemical weapons years ago --whether they were destroyed right before the war, (or) whether they're still hidden.
--Maj. Gen. David Petraeus, Commander 101st Airborne Press Briefing May 13, 2003

Before the war, there's no doubt in my mind that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, biological and chemical. I expected them to be found. I still expect them to be found.
--Gen. Michael Hagee, Commandant of the Marine Corps Interview with Reporters
Given time, given the number of prisoners now that we're interrogating, I'm confident that we're going to find weapons of mass destruction.
--Gen. Richard Myers, Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff NBC Today Show interview May 26, 2003

They may have had time to destroy them, and I don't know the answer.
-- Donald Rumsfeld Remarks to Council on Foreign Relations May 27, 2003

For bureaucratic reasons, we settled on one issue, weapons of mass destruction (as justification for invading Iraq) because it was the one reason everyone could agree on.
--Paul Wolfowitz Vanity Fair interview May 28, 2003

It was a surprise to me then - it remains a surprise to me now - that we have not uncovered weapons, as you say, in some of the forward dispersal sites. Believe me, it's not for lack of trying. We've been to virtually every ammunition supply point between the Kuwaiti border and Baghdad, but they're simply not there.
--Lt. Gen. James Conway, 1st Marine Expeditionary Force
May 30, 2003 Press Interview

You remember when [Secretary of State] Colin Powell stood up in front of the world, And he said Iraq has got laboratories, mobile labs to build biological weapons ...They're illegal. They're against the United Nations resolutions, and we've so far discovered two...And we'll find more weapons as time goes on And we'll find more weapons as time goes on
--George W. Bush Press Briefing 5/30/2003 (Comment: He mis-spoke we didn't find 'em)

But for those who say we haven't found the banned manufacturing devices or banned weapons, they're wrong, we found them.
--George W. Bush Interview with TVP Poland 5/30/2003

flash forward to June of 2004

REPORTER: Thank you, Mr. President. You do have now the personal gun of Saddam Hussein. Are you willing to give it to President al-Yawar as a symbolic gift, or are you keeping it?
BUSH: What she's referring to is a -- members of a Delta team came to see me in the Oval Office and brought with me -- these were the people that found Saddam Hussein, the dictator of Iraq, hiding in a hole. And, by the way, let me remind everybody about Saddam Hussein, just in case we all forget. There were mass graves under his leadership. There were torture chambers. Saddam Hussein -- if you -- we had seven people come to my office. Perhaps the foreign press didn't see this story. Seven people came to my -- they had their hands cut off because the Iraqi currency had devalued. And Saddam Hussein needed somebody to blame, so he blamed small merchants. And their hands were chopped off, their right hand.
- - George. W. Bush Savannah, Georgia, Jun. 10, 2004

And there are a lot of nations working in Afghanistan and in Iraq to not only deal with terror -- the immediate effects of terror -- and that is, finding people before they hurt somebody again -- but also to spread freedom. Free societies are peaceful societies, free societies are hopeful societies. And there's a lot of nations working to get her to do so.
-- George. W. Bush Rome, Italy, Jun. 4, 2004

Colin Powell
"War should be the politics of last resort. And when we go to war, we should have a purpose that our people understand and support."
(U.S. Secretary of State)

David Frum

"An American-led overthrow of Saddam Hussein--and a replacement of the radical Baathist dictatorship with a new government more closely aligned with the United States--would put America more wholly in charge of the region than any power since the Ottomans, or maybe the Romans."

(Frum is a former speechwriter for George W. Bush, and the author of The Right Man. The Surprise Presidency of George W. Bush. Random House, 2003, pp. 232, 233)

Robert Byrd

"Today I weep for my country. No more is the image of America one of strong, yet benevolent peacekeeper. ... Around the globe, our friends mistrust us, our word is disputed, our intentions are questioned. We flaunt our superpower status with arrogance....After war has ended the United States will have to rebuild much more than the country of Iraq. We will have to rebuild America's image around the globe."

(March 19, 2003 Robert Byrd is a U.S. Senator from West Virginia, and the oldest member of the U.S. Senate.)

Noam Chomsky

"It's reasonably clear that the official reasons for the war cannot be taken seriously. The Bush Administration is carrying out a serious assault against the general population. They have to prevent people from paying attention, and the only way anyone has ever figured out how to do that is to terrify them with tales of monsters who are about to destroy us."
--(Interview in The New Yorker, March 31, 2003, p. 79. Chomsky, a linguist and activist is a professor at M.I.T. Chomsky's comment on is a criticism of the administration's domestic policies. )

Gary Hart

"The urgent necessity to disband terrorist networks abroad and to secure the American
homeland has been replaced by the Bush administration's puzzling preoccupation with
Saddam Hussein. He has become George Bush's White Whale, an obsession that has
cost us international solidarity in eradicating terrorism, the goodwill of tens of millions of
people worldwide and the role of benign democratic world leader...."
(Gary Hart is a U.S. Senator from Colorado. He was co-chairman of the U.S.Commission on National Security. Excerpt from an op-ed piece in The Washington Post,
March 9, 2003)

GRAB BAG OF QUOTES TO REMEMBER

President Bush said this on August 8th , 2002 in Crawford Texas:
Turns out this is our hundredth day since major military operations have ended, ended in Iraq. ...We've been there a hundred days. We've made a lot of progress in a hundred days, and I am pleased with the progress we've made, but fully recognize we've got a lot more work to do. ...The American people know that we laid out the facts, we based the decision on sound intelligence and they also know we've only been there for a hundred days.

If you're asking me as the President, would I understand reality, I do.
George W. Bush

If you're sick and tired of the politics of cynicism and polls and principles, come and join this campaign.
George W. Bush

In my sentences I go where no man has gone before.
George W. Bush
(Comment: sometimes he tells the truth!)

Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
--George. W. Bush Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

The reason I keep insisting that there was a relationship between Iraq and Saddam and al Qaeda, because there was a relationship between Iraq and al Qaeda.
--George. W. Bush Washington, D.C., Jun. 17, 2004

In this world there are good causes and bad causes, and we may disagree on where that line is drawn, yet there is no such thing as a good terrorist. No national aspiration, no remembered wrong can ever justify the deliberate murder of the innocent. Any government that rejects this principle, trying to pick and choose its terrorist friends, will know its consequences.
George. W. Bush

REPORTER: So when you say that you want the U.S. to adhere to international and U.S. laws, that's not very comforting. This is a moral question. Is terr -- torture ever justified?
BUSH: Look, I'm gonna say it one more time. I can -- if I can -- maybe -- maybe I can be more clear. The instructions went out to our people to adhere to law. That oughtta comfort you. We -- we're a nation of law. We adhere to laws. We have laws on the books. You might look at those laws. And that might provide comfort for you. And those were the instructions out of -- from me to the government.
--. Savannah, Georgia, Jun. 10, 2004 (Comment he partially answered only part of the question... sorta')

Given the recent increase in violence, we'll maintain our troop level at the current 138,000 as long as necessary. This has required extended duty for the 1st Armored Division and the 2nd Light Calvary Regiment.
--George. W. Bush Pennsylvania, May 24, 2004 (he can’t pronounce cavalry and he recently announced major cutbacks of troups—so much for as long as necessary).

And I call upon the Iraqi people to reject violence, band together to insist that the country move toward a peaceful tomorrow. Iraq is changing for the better. I mean, look at the soccer team.
--George. W. Bush Washington, D.C., May 20, 2004 (Comment: That’s our Prez!)

I respect people. I respect their religion. I respect human rights. I respect human dignity. And that's the kind of society I know will grow up in Iraq.
--George. W. Bush Washington, D.C., May 20, 2004

Freedom will prevail, so long as the United States and allies don't give the people of Iraq mixed signals, so long as we don't cower in the face of suiciders, or do what many Iraqis still suspect might happen, and that is cut and run early, like what happened in '91.
--George. W. Bush , as quoted in the Washington Times, May 10, 2004

Because we acted, torture chambers are closed.
George. W. Bush Wisconsin, May 7, 2004

Iraqis are sick of foreign people coming in their country and trying to destabilize their country.
George. W. Bush Washington, D.C., May 5, 2004

This is the war that other Presidents will be facing as we head into the 21st century.
George. W. Bush White House, Apr. 13, 2004

Obviously, every day I pray there is less casualty, but I know what we are doing in Iraq is right.
-- George. W. Bush Fort Hood, Texas, Apr. 11, 2004

We're on the offensive against the terrorists, draining their funds, disrupting their plans and bringing them to justice, one person at a time. Here in the Philippines, one face of the enemy is the Abu Sayyaf group. These killers torture and behead their victims while acting, or claiming to act, in the name of God. But murder has no home in any religious faith. And these terrorists must find no home in the Philippines.
George. W. Bush, Manila, Philippines, Oct. 18, 2003

Al Qaeda is still active, and they're still recruiting, and they're still a threat because we won't cower.
- - George. W. Bush (Comment: It’s because we won’t cower Al Qaeda is a threat, you see…) Miramar, California, Aug. 14, 2003

This crusade, this war on terrorism is going to take a while.
--George W. Bush (Note the word CRUSADE!!!)

I think you can judge from somebody's actions a kind of a stability and sense of purpose perhaps created by strong religious roots. I mean, there's a certain patience, a certain discipline, I think, that religion helps you achieve.
George W. Bush

Faith crosses every border and touches every heart in every nation.
George W. Bush

Leadership to me means duty, honor, country. It means character, and it means listening from time to time.
George W. Bush

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans.
George W. Bush

We will stand up for our friends in the world. And one of the most important friends is the State of Israel. My administration will be steadfast in support Israel against terrorism and violence, and in seeking the peace for which all Israelis pray.
-- George W. Bush

"I don't bring God into my life to — to, you know, kind of be a political person." —George W. Bush, interview with Tom Brokaw aboard Air Force One, April 24, 2003

"People say, how can I help on this war against terror? How can I fight evil? You can do so by mentoring a child; by going into a shut-in's house and say I love you." -- George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2002

"You see, the Senate wants to take away some of the powers of the administrative branch." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2002

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." —George W. Bush, Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 17, 2002
(Note also used in Fahrenheit 911 film)

Compiled by Christopher J. Jarmick