P.S. I Love You

P.S. I Love You

ratings (4 Epinions reviews)

P.S. I Love You --- With Hilary Swank, Lisa Kudrow, and Gerard Butler

Dec 22, 2007

Pros:good cast, great supporting characters, many thoughtful moments, some great humor

Cons:dark subject matter, slows down too much at times

The Bottom Line: 3.5 stars rounded up to 4, I find myself recommending this film because it was endearing and interesting while also blending a nice humor into the mix.

Based on the novel by the same name, Hilary Swank stars as character Holly Kennedy. Holly has been married to Gerry (played by Gerard Butler) for something like 9 years, and they have enjoyed their lives together since the day he met her. Holly has always been reserved though, seemingly nervous that one mistake she makes could send Gerry running for the hills. This isn't the case though, as he would do anything for her, and we soon find out that he did exactly that. The movie starts out harmless enough, showing their relationship and setting up some fore-shadowing that will become important later in the story. But then it flash forwards a short time, and we find Holly gathered with family and friends at the funeral for Gerry. He has passed away as the result of a brain tumor, and she has lost her one true love.

The story isn't about his death though, but rather the plan he has set up for Holly. On her 30th birthday, which follows only a few weeks after his passing, a cake arrives with a tape recorder attached to the box. On the tape is Gerry telling Holly about a plan he has for her to get back to life and the outside world. Having been cooped up in the house just mourning him, this is exactly what she needs. From there a story is set in motion where Gerry has letter mysteriously delivered at intervals that lead Holly on a journey of self-discovery through memories and also through a tough phase of her life. With her two best friends by her side, she even takes a journey back to his homeland of Ireland to trace where they first met. Will she find what she is looking for at the end of the letters, and will she ever be happy again are answers that this film journeys to discover with us.

Now this was a famous novel before the major motion picture, and I have heard that a lot of things were changed for the film to make it more consumer friendly. I can see how some of the changes make sense, and there were times when I could see why they made some of their decisions with the script. Hilary Swank is pretty good in the title role, and Gerard Butler plays the part of Gerry pretty well through the opening scenes, and then through several flashbacks we experience through the letters. The are circled by Lisa Kudrow and Gina Gershon as two of her friends, Kathy Bates as her mother, and Harry Connick Jr. as a bartender that she strikes up an interesting friendship with. All are interesting characters and add a little something to this story. Kudrow and Connick Jr. especially are good as they add a nice touch of humor to what could have been a dark story.

Now its hard to pin down exactly what genre this film would slide into, because it isn't your typical romantic comedy. Sure there was romance and comedy, but there were many dramatic and emotional moments that the audience plays a part in, and the story is more about the dramatic relationship between the two main characters. The humor is thrown in to lighten the mood at times where it was really needed, and a couple of sub-plots where instigated in order to give the audience a breather from the heavy plot. At times it seems that the story doesn't have a place to go, and it has trouble getting from one scene to the next. That doesn't take away many of the endearing qualities that the story had, but I think there were placing it could have been cleaned up. If I was grading the film, I would give it a b-/c+ and I do recommend it for those who are interested, but it does seem to hold something back from making it cinematic gold. If you ask did I like it; the answer is yes.