Problems right out of the box

Jan 23, 2008 (Updated Jan 23, 2008)

Pros:Nice appearance, roomy interior, reasonably quiet, good feature set for price. Knowledgeable technicians.

Cons:Unreliable beverage/cooking sensor. Poor quality control. Recurring problem with turntable stepper motor.

The Bottom Line: GE over-the-counter microwaves are not as reliable as some other makes. Unless you are replacing a GE and need to reuse the mounting hardware, go with another brand.

I purchased a GE EVM1750SMSS (same as the JVM1750SMSS) on December 17, 2007. Out of the box, it had a defective door with a large blemish on the inside clear plastic. It should have never left the factory like that. GE replaced the door without any fuss, but it took several days to get someone out to the house. A week later, the turntable motor went bad. GE again sent out a tech and replaced the motor. Four days later, the new motor started to make loud clicking noises. The cooking sensor also displayed errors about 30% of the time. That adds up to four problems in three weeks. GE finally replaced the unit, but the experience has left me cautious about recommending GE microwave ovens.

I bought this microwave to replace an expensive GE Profile series that went bad (magnetron and high-voltage diode) at 13 months. GE would not honor the warranty on the more expensive unit, so I bought this less expensive one figuring (correctly) that I would at least be able to reuse the mounting plate and holes.

Having two GE microwave ovens go bad has left me with a deep distrust of GE products, though I have to admit that my GE Eterna dishwasher, Profile oven and cooktop, and Profile refrigerator have held up so far. I would hesitate to recommend a GE over-the-counter microwave at this time. My experience with their microwave ovens seems to indicate that GE needs to focus on Quality Control and that they are inflexible about honoring their warranty a day after it runs out.