Top 5 Diss Songs Ever

Nov 21, 2004

The Bottom Line Like BigD said, read the fuckin review...

Honorable Mention: "DOLLAZ + SENSE"
Artist: DJ Quik
Target: MC Eiht
Classic Line: "E-I-H-T, now should I continue?/Yeah you left out the G cause the G ain't in you"
Comments: Quik, who thought the beef with fellow CPT-er Eiht was over, was surprised to hear Eiht's new diss at him. Filled with anger, Quik put out a memorable track over a great westcoast beat.

05 "2ND ROUND KO"
Artist: Canibus
Target: LL Cool J
Classic Line: "You walk around showin off your body cause it sells/Plus to avoid the fact that you ain't got skills/Mad at me cause I kick that s**t real n****z feel/While 99% of your fans wear high heels"
Comments: This is the song that blew up Canibus, and he was extremely effective in his disses, aligning himself with real hip-hop heads and LL with the ladies, over Wyclef's minimalistic beat. He showed that LL was a washed up rapper trying to use his body to sell, and Bis was the new battle MC that sold solely cause of skills. Canibus was venomous throughout and it just showed everyone you dont wanna fuck with Bis.

04 "NO VASELINE"
Artist: Ice Cube
Target: NWA (DJ Yella, Dr. Dre, Eazy-E, MC Ren)
Classic Line: "Yella Boy's on your team, so you're losin'; Ay yo Dre, stick to producin'."
Comments: Ice Cube attacked his former crew, each line directed at them personal and oozing with venom. Cube, personally knowing them for so long, knew ALL the dirt on them, and cleverly exposed it. Ice Cube pointed out a sort-of "selling out" from gangsterism, for example the Michel'le reference, all over an active beat.

03 "BITCH IN YOO"
Artist: Common
Target: Ice Cube
Classic Line: "Rap career is over, better off acting/What trouble I see, you're managing WC and Wack 10"
Comments: Common was not always seen as a true battle MC. However, when he went against lyrical heavyweight Ice Cube, who had already KO'ed NWA, Common just destroyed the Cube over a great beat, minimalistic to a point but extremely effective. Common pointed out everything negative about Common, such as the fact that all his beats sample George Clinton or that all he can do now is acting or that he hasn't been all that good lately. Classic diss.

02 "ETHER"
Artist: Nas
Target: Jay-Z
Classic Line: "How much of Biggie's rhymes gon come out your fat lips?"
Comments: Nas, was beaten, cornered, and about to die. Yeah, it was that serious. But a cornered wolf is more dangerous than a jackal, and Nas not only re-established himself but put an end to the Nas vs. Jay-Z argument. Jay seemed beaten, and comebacks, such as "Superugly" seemed desperate. Nas dropped Stillmatic, and became the Phoenix of hip-hop, rising from his ashes. Nas killed Jay-Z by exposing him as a "fake, a pussy, a stan" over a threatening beat.

01 "THE BRIDGE IS OVER"
Artist: Boogie Down Productions
Target: The Juice Crew (MC Shan, Roxanne Shante, Marley Marl)
Classic Line: "Sayin that hip-hop started out in queensbridge/Sayin lies like that, mon, you know dem can’t live"
Comments: In arguably the best song ever, KRS-One ended a career (MC Shan, anyone?) with ahead-of-its-time battling. Because of this song, EVERYONE knows who Kris Parker is, while few remember Shan. It also established that hip-hop started in the Bronx as common knowledge. KRS also basically perfected modern battling, especially on wax. The beat is great, the snares are head-nodding and the crashes well-placed.

So, thats it. Other honorable mentions are: Hit 'Em Up by 2Pac feat The Outlawz, Stillmatic Freestyle by Nas, Malcolm X by Royce Da 5'9" feat Tre Little, Nail In The Coffin by Eminem, Takeover by Jay-Z...the list goes on and on, but I think I mentioned the ones I felt were the best ever...

Member: Bill Gates
Location: Redmond, Washington, USA
Trusted by: 1 member
About Me: ...haha, people think i actually care what they rate my reviews as...