ONE OF THE BIGGEST SELLING ALBUMS OF THE 70'S (FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE!) - PETER FRAMPTON

Nov 29, 2004 (Updated Dec 1, 2004)

The Bottom Line PETER FRAMPTON WAS BORN ON 22 APRIL 1950 IN BECKENHAM, KENT, ENGLAND.

Peter Frampton first played the guitar in public as a Boy Scout at the age of eight in 1958. He performed "Cliff Richard's" "A Girl Like You" and "Poor Me" by "Adam Faith" on a local variety show. He also appeared this year in the UK Comedy Movie "Davy" with "Harry Secombe", "Ron Randell", "George Relph", "Bill Owen" and others. He next took several years of classical lessons. In his early teens he played for such groups as "The Little Ravens" "The Trubeats" and "The Preachers" who were managed by "Bill Wyman" of "The Rolling Stones". In 1966 at the age of 16 he dropped out of school to join the British progressive-rock group "The Herd". The group had several hits in the UK in 1967 & 1968. Their 3 biggest hits in the UK were "From The Underworld", "Paradise Lost" and "Don't Want Our Loving To Die". With his youthful good looks Peter was voted The Face of 1968 in a local magazine as a pop pinup.

He next helped formed the mini-supergroup "Humble Pie" with "Steve Marriott" formally of "The Small Faces" in 1969. They recruited "Greg Ridley" on bass formally of "Spooky Tooth" and "Jerry Shirley" on drums formally of "Little Women". They signed a contract with "Andrew Loog Oldham's" "Immediate" records label and released their debut album "As Safe As Yesterday" in July. It peaked at #39 on the UK album chart with "Natural Born Bugie" released from the album in September that peaked at #4 on the UK singles chart. In December they released their follow-up album "Town And Country" but it failed to make the charts. They went on a tour of the US next and upon returning to England they discovered that their record label had gone under. The group incurred very severe financial difficulties until a US lawyer "Dee Anthony" helped them secure a new contract with "A&M" records. In July 1970 they released "Humble Pie" but it too failed to make any of the album charts.

Their next album release in March 1971 "Rock On" also failed to make any of the charts. Anthony decided to take the band back to the US for another tour and on 25 September they released "I Don't Need No Doctor" that was recorded live at the Fillmore East. The song was co-written by husband and wife R&B singer/songwriters "Nickolas Ashford" and "Valerie Simpson" and it peaked at #73 on the US singles chart. In November they released "Performance - Rockin' At The Fillmore" recorded live during their recent US tour and it peaked at #31 in the UK and at #21 in the US on the album charts. Peter left the group in October prior to the release of their live album and was replaced by "Dave Clempson" formally of "Colosseum". After being persuaded by "George Harrison" to perform on his "All Things Must Pass" album that went to #1 in the US and to #4 in the UK on the charts in 1970 Peter decides he wants to pursue a solo career.

In March 1972 he helps "Harry Nilsson" record his follow-up to his "Nilsson Schmilsson" album that went to #3 in the US on the "Son of Schmilsson" that is released in July and peaks at #12 on the US album chart.
He next signs a solo contract with "A&M records and released his debut solo album "Wind Of Change" in May. The album also includes contributions from "Ringo Starr", "Billy Preston" and a host of other top sessions men but it would only get to #177 on the US chart. Also this month he releases his debut single "Jumping Jack Flash" that was previously a #3 hit in 1968 for "The Rolling Stones" but his version fails to chart. On 16 September he makes his solo stage debut in New York City supporting "The J. Geils Band" with his own backup band called "Frampton's Camel". His band consisted of "Mike Kellie" formally of "Spooky Tooth" on drums, "Mickey Gallagher" formally of "Bell & Arc" on keyboards and "Rick Wills" formally of "Cochise" on bass. The 3 had also just recently left the group "Parrish & Gurvitz".

In May 1973 "Frampton's Camel" is released and it peaks at #110 on the US album chart. Kellie leaves the band and is replaced by "John Siomos" formally of "Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels". Also this month "All Night Long" is released and it fails to make the singles charts. It is followed in July by "Which Way The Wind Blows" that also fails to make any of the singles charts. In May 1974 they decide to drop the Camel off the bands' name for fear it may be confused with the British band of the same name. In June they release "Somethin's Happening" that eventually peaks at #25 on the US album chart. They also release "Baby (Somethin's Happening)" but it too fails to make the singles charts. Gallagher departs from the group to join "Glencoe" and is replaced by "Andy Bown" formally with "The Herd" and he would also play bass when Rick leaves to join "Roxy Music". Peter stars in the UK Comedy Horror "Son Of Dracula" this year with "Harry Nilsson", "Keith Moon", "Ringo Starr", "Dennis Price" and others. They next release "Frampton" in March of 1975 and it later peaks at #32 on the US album chart. They have over 200 live performances this year mostly in North America.

In June "Show Me The Way" is released followed by "Baby, I Love Your Way" in August but they both fail to make the singles charts. On 5 September they appear on "The Midnight Special" on NBC TV along with "Hoyt Axton", "The Four Seasons", "K. C. & The Sunshine Band" and "Helen Reddy". Andy leaves the group next and is replaced on keyboards by "Bob Mayo" and "Stanley Sheldon" also joins the band on bass. The new lineup appears on "The Midnight Special" on 19 December along with "Petula Clark", "The Ohio Players", "Helen Reddy" and "Cotton, Lloyd & Christian". They next re-release a new live version of "Show Me The Way" on 21 February 1976 and it peaks at #10 in the UK and at #6 in the US on the singles charts. On 19 March Peter appears for the 3rd time on "The Midnight Special" this time with "Rufus featuring Chaka Khan", "Helen Reddy", "Melissa Manchester", "Jimmy Walker" and "Johnny Rivers". On 10 April they release "Frampton Comes Alive!" a 2-album set recorded live on the Winterland Ballroom stage in San Francisco, CA. Sales of the album explode and it quickly peaks at #1 on the album chart where it stays for 5 weeks falls and then peaks at #1 for another 5 weeks on the US chart and stays on the US chart for almost 2 full years. It would peak at #6 in the UK and over time it would sell over 16 million copies worldwide and become one of the most successful Live albums ever recorded.

They next appear again on "The Midnight Special" on 21 May with "The Beatles", "The Bee Gees", "The Carpenters", "Bill Haley & The Comets", "Herman's Hermits", "Paul Anka", "Chuck Berry", "Jim Croce", "Elvis Presley" and "Helen Reddy". On 26 June they release the second record from their album a new live version of "Baby, I Love Your Way" with "It's A Plain Shame" also recorded live on the flip side and it later peaks at #12 on the US singles chart. Peter's 5th appearance on "The Midnight Special" is next on 6 August along with "James Brown", "Alice Cooper", "Rhythm Heritage", "Seals & Crofts" and "J. D. Souther". In August "Baby, I Love Your Way" with "I'll Give You Money" on the flip side also recorded live is released in the UK and only peaks at #43 there. Peter spends a day at the White House in Washington, DC on 8 September at the invitation of the then "President Gerald Ford". On 18 September the 3rd record from their last album "Do You Feel Like We Do" is released and it peaks at #39 in the UK and at #10 in the US on the singles chart. Also today they perform "Baby, I Love Your Way" on "Don Kirshner's Second Annual Rock Music Awards" show on CBS TV from the Hollywood Palladium in Hollywood, CA.

In April 1977 he establishes the "Peter Frampton Musical Endowment Fund" at San Francisco State University to honor the fact that "Fampton Comes Alive! was recorded in San Francisco. "I'm In You" the first non-live studio recorded record in almost 2 years is released on 28 May and it peaks at #41 in the UK and at #2 for 3 weeks in the US on the singles charts. In July the album "I'm In You" is released and it peaks at #19 in the UK and at #2 in the US on the charts and eventually sells double platinum. He next releases his version of "Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours)" on 27 August which was a #3 hit for "Stevie Wonder" in 1970. Stevie would guest on Peter's version playing the harmonica and it would later peak at #18 on the US singles chart. "Mick Jagger" of "The Rolling Stones" adds backup vocals to "Tried To Love" that is their next single release on 10 December and it peaks at #41 in the US.

On 1 April 1978 The Philadelphia Furries a team in the North American Soccer League co-owned by Peter, "Mick Jagger", "Paul Simon" and "Rick Wakeman" losses their very first game to the Washington Diplomats. On 6 April Peter plays "Peter Buckley" on the NBC TV series "Black Sheep Squadron" better known as "Baa Baa Black Sheep" starring "Robert Conrad". On the 13th they appear on the Syndicated TV show "America 2Nite" with "Steve Allen", "Milton Berle", "Harvey Korman", "Burt Lancaster", "Paul Lynde", "Melissa Manchester" and "Andy Williams". On 29 June Peter suffers a concussion, a broken arm and cracked ribs in a car accident in the Bahamas that lays him up for several months. The Musical Comedy Movie "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" debuts on 24 July which he appears in playing the part of "Billy Shears". The star-studded cast included "The Bee Gees", "Donald Pleasence", "Steve Martin", "Aerosmith", "Alice Cooper", "Billy Preston", "Earth, Wind & Fire", "George Burns", "Connie Stevens", "Tina Turner", "Frankie Valli", "Al Stewart", "Helen Reddy" and many, many more. In August the soundtrack album from the Movie is released that includes Frampton and it peaks at #38 in the UK and at #5 in the US.

"I Can't Stand It No More" is released on 26 May 1979 and later peaks at #14 on the US singles chart. In June "Where I Should Be" is released and it would peak at #19 on the US album chart. In August he is awarded the Golden Ticket for playing in front of over 100,000 fans at Madison Square Garden in New York City. "She Don't Reply" is also released this month but it fails to make the singles charts. In June 1981 self-penned and produced "Breaking All The Rules" is released and it peaks at #43 on the US album charts. In August "Breaking All The Rules" debuts and peaks at #12 on the Mainstream Rock Tracks singles chart. It is followed in November with "Wasting The Night Away" but it failed to make the singles charts. "Sleepwalk" is released in August 1982 and it also fails to make the singles charts. "The Art Of Control" is released next in September and it peaks at #174 on the US album chart. In 1983 due to very slow sales "A&M" records and Peter decide to part ways.

In 1985 Peter signs a new contract with "Virgin" records for releases in the UK and to "Atlantic" records for US releases. "Premonition" is released on his new labels in February 1986 and it would peak at #80 on the US album chart and fail to chart in the UK. There have been at least 11 different albums titled "Premonition" over the years. The biggest seller of these was released in June 1999 by "John Fogerty" formally of "Creedence Clearwater Revival" who had it peak at #29 in the US for him. On 1 February "Lying" is released and it peaks at #74 on the US singles chart and peaks at #4 on the Mainstream Rock Tracks singles chart. This is followed in March by "All Eyes On You" but it fails to make any of the singles charts. On 29 March he appears on "American Bandstand" on ABC TV with "Falco" and "Marilyn Martin". "Hiding From A Heartache" debuts in May but fails to make the singles charts.

Also this year he provides music for the Urban Drama "Quicksilver" starring "Kevin Bacon", "Jami Gertz", "Paul Rodriguez", "Laurence Fishburne", "Louie Anderson" and others. He also provides music as does "Phil Collins", "Julian Lennon", "Arcadia" and "Pete Townshend" for the Comedy Drama "Playing For Keeps". The Movie starred "Daniel Jordano", "Matthew Penn", "Marisa Tomei", "Mary Ward", "Leon Grant" and others. In April 1987 he joins his old schoolmate "David Bowie" on his worldwide Glass Spider tour. Peter next provides guitar work for the album "New World" by pop singer/songwriter and pianist "Karla Bonoff" that is released in July 1988. In December the Florida group "Will To Power" had a #1 R&B hit with a medley of Frampton's "Baby, I Love Your Way" and "Freebird" that was a #19 hit in 1974 by "Lynyrd Skynyrd".

"Holding On To You" debuts in September 1989 and peaks at #27 on the Mainstream Rock Tracks singles chart. In October it is followed up by "When All The Pieces Fit" that peaks at #152 on the US album chart. In 1990 Peter hires a new back up band calling them "Escape Committee" with "Bob Mayo", "Dave Meniketti", "John Regan" and "Michael Braum". In August 1991 Peter teams with old friend and former "Humble Pie" member "Steve Marriott" on the song "The Bigger They Come" for the Movie "Harley Davidson & The Marlboro Man" starring "Don Johnson" and "Mickey Rourke". On 20 April Marriott dies in a fire in his 16th century cottage in Arkesden, Essex, England. Peter joins "Kansas" at the KSHE Klassic Koncert at the Riverport Amphitheater in Maryland Height, MO on 10 July 1992. On 20 October "Shine On - A Collection" which is a 30-song, 2-CD set is released but it fails to make the album charts. On the 30th he plays with "The World's Most Dangerous Band" on "Late Night With David Letterman" on NBC TV. Other stars appearing on the show this night were "Francisco Centeno", "David Cone", "Kirk Douglas", "Frank Gifford" and "Helen Hunt".

On 19 February 1993 Peter takes part in the 20th Anniversary "Lynyrd Skynyrd & Friends LYVE" (pronounced Live) on Pay-Per-View TV from the Fox Theater in Atlanta, GA. "David Letterman" signed a new contract in 1993 and in August he began on CBS TV with "The Late Show With David Letterman" and on 4 February 1994 Peter appeared on this his new show. Also on the show this night were "Amanda Archaleta" and "Ellin Barkin". On 26 February the group "Big Mountain" releases a reggae version of "Baby, I Love You Way" from the Movie "Reality Bites" starring "Winona Ryder" that would peak at #6 for them and sell over a million copies. In April "Reality" records releases "Peter Frampton" but it fails to make any of the album charts. It is followed this month by "Day In The Sun" that peaks at #9 on the Mainstream Rock Tracks singles chart. He begins a US tour next called "Frampton Comes Alive Again" with "Robin Trower". In October 1995 he releases his second live album titled "Frampton Comes Alive II" on "El Dorado" records but it fails to chart.

Peter voices himself on an episode of "The Simpsons" on FOX TV on 19 May 1996. The voices of "The Smashing Pumpkins", "Cypress Hill", "Billy Corgan", "Pamela Hayden" and "Sonic Youth" also are used on this same episode. In July they begin a veteran rockers US tour package with "Foreigner" and "REO Speedwagon". During the summer of 1997 they will tour with "Ringo Star's All Star Band". They tour with "Lynyrd Skynyrd" in the summer of 1998. In 1999 they tour the US once again and during their stop at the Pine Knob Music Theater in Detroit, MI their concert is recorded for video release titled "Peter Frampton: Live In Detroit" that is released in July the following year. He also tours this year with "Bill Wyman & The Rhythm Kings". On 15 May 2000 Peter appears again on the "Late Show With David Letterman" along with "Gillian Anderson" of "The X-Files" and "The Foo Fighters". "Peter Frampton: Live In Detroit" is also released on CD in July but it fails to make the charts. On 6 August he appears on VH1 in "Behind The Music".

He appears this year in a Musical Biography titled "Chet Atkins: A Life In Music". Other artists appearing are "Dolly Parton", "Willie Nelson", "Suzy Bogguss", "Amy Grant", "George Benson", "John Fogerty", "Charley Pride", "Waylon Jennings" and "Les Paul". He would also appear in the Musical Documentary "Life & Times Of Steve Marriott" along with "The Small Faces", "Humble Pie", "The Black Crowes", "Cheap Trick" and "Bad Company". He once again appears on the "Late Show With David Letterman" on 16 January 2001 with guests "Sean Penn" and "Lauren Kessler". On 15 August he lends his voice to the animated hit "Family Guy" on FOX TV. Other celebrity voices include "Chuck Woolery", "Adam Carolla", "Norman Alden", "Lori Alan", "Wally Wingert", "Estelle Harris" and "William Gallaway". He appears next on a special musical episode of "The Drew Carey Show" on ABC TV on 26 September. Other guests appearing included "Uncle Kracker", "Sugar Ray", "Nikki Vickers", "Amanda Bynes", "Chad Cromwell", "Bob Mayo" and "John Regan".

On 6 June 2003 he is the voice of "Cool Hugh" on the animated "The Adventures Of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius" on the Nickelodeon TV Network. In August he releases "Now" that is his first charting album in 14 years and it peaks at #27 on the Top Independent Albums Chart. He appears on the Syndicated "The Wayne Brady Show" on 24 October with "Robert Downey Jr.", "Linda Blair" and "Taylor Marie Wear". I currently own 3 CD's by "Peter Frampton", 2 are greatest hits compilations and the one I will be covering here today "FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE!" originally released on "A&M" records on 10 April 1976. The songs on this 2-CD set are listed below in the order as they appear followed by the length of the song and then by my rating of each song.

1. Something's Happening - 5:40 - 5

4 - Very Good
3 - Good
2 - Fair
1 - Poor
0 - This song does not belong here!

Billboard US Top 100 Pop Singles for "PETER FRAMPTON"

1. Show Me The Way - Debut 02/21/76, Peaked at #6
2. Baby, I Love Your Way - Debut 06/26/76, Peaked at #12
3. Do You Feel Like We Do - Debut 09/18/76, Peaked at #10
4. I'm In You - Debut 05/28/77, Peaked at #2 for 3 weeks
5. Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours) - Debut 08/27/77, Peaked at #18
6. Tried To Love - Debut 12/10/77, Peaked at #41
7. I Can't Stand It No More - Debut 05/26/79, Peaked at #14
8. Lying - Debut 02/01/88, Peaked at #74

Billboard US Top 200 Pop Albums for "PETER FRAMPTON"

1. Wind Of Change - Debut 1972, Peaked at #177
2. Frampton's Camel - Debut 1973, Peaked at #110
3. Somethin's Happening - Debut 1974, Peaked at #125
4. Frampton - Debut 1975, Peaked at #32
5. FRAMPTON COMES ALIVE! - Debut 1976, Peaked at #1 for 5 weeks & again for 5 more weeks
6. I'm In You - Debut 1977, Peaked at #2
7. Where I Should Be - Debut 1979, Peaked at #19
8. Breaking All The Rules - Debut 1981, Peaked at #43
9. The Art Of Control - Debut 1982, Peaked at #174
10. Premonition - Debut 1986, Peaked at #80
11. When All The Pieces Fit - Debut 1989, Peaked at #152

SOME SONG LYRICS

ALL I WAN'T TO BE (IS BY YOUR SIDE)

Do what you do don't bring me down
I went to the doctor he's just another clown
Don't stand alone you might turn to stone
I wish there was a pill for that - you're on your own

Can't you see what it's doing to me
All I wanna be is by your side
I don't care if they cut my hair
All I wanna be is by your side

Shake me down you wanna put me on the ground
There's money in my pocket I won't make a sound
Run me over or pick a four leaf clover
Now they cut the lights down, this record's going slower

Can't you see what it's doing to me

BABY, I LOVE YOUR WAY

Shadows grow so long before my eyes
And they're moving across the page
Suddenly the day turns into night
Far away from the city but don't hesitate
'Cause your love won't wait hey
Wanna tell you I love your way every day
Wanna be with you night and day

Moon appears to shine and light the sky
With the help of some fireflies
I wonder how they have the power shine shine shine
I can see them under the pines
But don't hesitate 'cause your love won't wait hey
Wanna tell you I love your way every day
Wanna be with you night and day uh yeah

But don't hesitate 'cause your love won't wait
I can see the sunset in your eyes
Brown and grey and blue besides
Clouds are stalking islands in the sun
Wish I could dry one out of season
But don't hesitate 'cause your love won't wait hey

DO YOU FEEL LIKE WE DO

Well, woke up this morning with a wine glass in my hand.
Whose wine? What wine? Where the hell did I dine?
Must have been a dream I don't believe where I've been.
Come on, let's do it again.

How'd ya feel?
Do you...you, feel like I do?

My friend got busted, just the other day.
They said,"Don't walk, don't walk, don't walk away."
Drove him to a taxi, bent the boot, hit the bag.
Had to play some music, wonder why's he [brag or drag].

Do you...you, feel like I do?
How'd ya [turns from mic, can't catch it]?
Do you...you, feel like I...

Yes ya do.
Do you...you, feel like I do?

Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand.
Peached up, Peached Ale, never fails.
Must have been a dream I don't believe where I've been.
Come on, let's do it again.

How'd ya feel?
Do you...you, feel like I...

Oh, that's true.
Get back.
Do you feel..do you feel like we do?

SHOW ME THE WAY

I wonder how you're feeling there's ringing in my ears.
And no one to relate to 'cept the sea.
Who can I believe in ?
I'm kneeling on the floor.
There has to be a force. Who do I phone ?
The stars are out and shining. But all I really want to know

Oh won't you show me the way
I want you show me the way

Well, I can see no reason.. you living on your nerves
When someone drop a cup and I submerge
I'm swimming in a circle ... I feel I'm going down
There has to be a fool to play my part
Someone thought of healing.. But all I really want to know

Oh won't you show me the way
I want you show me the way

I wonder if I'm dreaming I feel so unashamed
I can't believe this is happening to me.
I watch you when you're sleeping
And then I want to take your love

JAGUARDOG'S FINAL THOUGHTS

"Peter Frampton" was one of the greatest arena rock artists of the 70's. Even though his record sales through the end of 1975 were a very big disappointment his constant touring and concerts helped him garner a very huge fan following. From 1976 through 1978 he was one of the biggest concert draws in America. In 1977 he was named Artist Of The Year by "Rolling Stone" magazine for 1976. His "Frampton Comes Alive! Album is still one of the top 3 selling Live albums of all-time up there with "Garth Brooks" and his "Double Live" set and The Boss "Bruce Springsteen" with his 5-LP/3-CD set "Live 1975 - 1985". I never owned any singles by "Peter Frampton" but I was lucky enough to purchase one of the original 1st printings of "Frampton Comes Alive! And played the album to death. It became one of my 2 favorite albums of the 70's along with "Thriller" by "Michael Jackson". I really loved the way Peter could make his guitar sing and sound like it was even talking. I still own both records on CD but not the original albums any longer. Peter's music style was amiable, carefree, cheerful, dramatic, earnest, fun, good-natured, innocent, intimate, laid-back, mellow, romantic, rousing, theatrical, smooth and sweet.

Up next will be a great Italian American singer born "Concetta Rosemarie Franconero" who began her music career at the very young age of 3 when she first started learning how to play the accordion. She was born in December 1938 and in 1957 at the age of 19 she had her very first charting record. She had many, many more hits in the 50's and 60's and this pretty young girl is better known as "Connie Francis". As always I hope everyone enjoyed this review today and thank you all for reading, rating and leaving a comment if you have time. Best of Luck to everyone and God Bless, Ron.

POSSIBLE UPCOMING REVIEWS:

(MORE TO COME)

SOME MUSIC SOURCES USED INCLUDE:

Member: Ron Drain
Location: Jacksonville, Florida, USA
About Me: I LOVE Music/TV/Movies & sports like Football - NFL/College, Baseball, Olympics - Summer/Winter and Wrestling.