Top Ten Gorror Movies!!

Dec 19, 2004

Popular Products in Movies
HASH(0xab1ce78)  Reviews
From $15
The Bottom Line Very gorey, very cool movies. People with iron cast stomachs will load up.

You may have seen my list on the Top Ten Horror Movies; that was all for folly, because Gorror is where my specialty lies. I have over 50 Gorror (and Horror) DVDs, some of which I've only watched once (Zombie Lake) and others that I've watched hundreds of billions of time (Army of Darkness, my favorite movie ever made). But unfortunately, Army of Darkness really falls under comedy and not Gorror/Horror, but that's besides the point.

I spent a few days making the list and finally came up with something that I'm relatively happy with. Keep in mind that some of these movies really aren't that good, but they're still gorey.

1. Dead Alive (1992)

Directed by Peter Jackson
Starring Timothy Balme
Is This a Good Movie? So-so

I was perusing Sam Goody horror movies when I came across Dead Alive. I asked the attendant about it and he said,
"This is the goriest movie I have ever seen. The ending involves a baby, british zombies, and a lawnmower." I was stunned and intrigued, so I bought and watched it. Holy crap. This is the craziest movie ever. Despite the hour long, semi-violent build-up, it is still the goriest movie ever. The ending is worth the movie alone. I highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of breaking the norm. And yes, we are still talking about the Lord of the Rings Peter Jackson here. He's an excellent director.

2. Dawn of the Dead (1978)

Directed by George A. Romero
Starring David Emge
Is This a Good Movie? Yes

The original Dawn of the Dead was ground-breaking in almost every aspect of zombie films. The gore effects are spectacular (Tom Savini is brilliant), the script is smart and satirical, and the acting is superb. Gorror-wise, the headshots are brilliant and the eating-human-flesh thing probably still hasn't been beaten. The movie starts kind of slow, but really entails the real life horror that would come if the world were ever overrun with zombies (my greatest dream).

3. From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)

Directed by Robert Rodriguez
Starring George Clooney
Is This a Good Movie? Yes

I know you may have to re-read the above credits a few more times. George Clooney is in the third goriest movie ever? It doesn't seem likely, but somehow it happened. Quentin Tarantino is also in the movie, but doesn't survive long. The flick isn't zombie, surprisingly, but vampire, which I thought was weird. Some of the headshots are pretty cool, but I focused more on the elongated special effects graphics, done by Greg Nicotero, Rob Kurtzman and Howard Burger, some of the best in the buisness.

4. Bad Taste (1987)

Directed by Peter Jackson
Starring Terry Potter
Is This a Good Movie? So-so

Another Pete Jackson flick. I like this one better than Dead Alive, but it isn't quite as gorey. IT'S DISGUSTING!!! There's head kicking, puke drinking, castrating, and of course, the Beatles. The last image of the movie is a man crawling through an aliens head and out his butt. He says, "I'm born again!" then he starts laughing like a maniac. You need to have a really strong stomach for this one.

5. Re-Animator (1985)

Directed by Brian Yuzna
Starring Jeffrey Combs
Is This a Good Movie? Yes

Re-Animator is possibly the most original horror/gorror movie that I have ever seen. The re-animating of dead bodies and forcing them to do the will of their re-animator is just such a cool concept. Jeffrey Combs plays an amazing roll in this film and has since played Dr. Herbert West two more times (Bride of Re-Animator and Beyond Re-Animator). The villain for the second half of the movie is a severed head.

6. The Dead Hate the Living (2000)

Directed by Dave Parker
Starring Eric Clawson
Is This a Good Movie? Not really

But it is gorey! Tom Savini called this movie unique, but I think he may've been joking, because all I'm seeing is rip-offs of Evil Dead and other Sam Raimi pictures. There's even a character that says, "What would Bruce Campbell do?" I mean, how cheesy can you get? There is a great scene, though, where this human lady punches a zombie lady in the face, and her fist goes right through her head, leaving her brains to slither down her arm. It's pretty cool, and worth a look.

7. Evil Dead (1982)

Directed by Sam Raimi
Starring Bruce Campbell
Is This a Good Movie? Very

Evil Dead, made with only 150,000 dollars, is possibly the most pivotal gorror film ever made. The make-up effects, though with very little to work with, would probably make Tom Savini proud. There's a scene where one of the possessed girls stabs another girl in the ankle with a pencil, then rotates it around over and over again. It's disgusting, but makes for a cool effect.

8. Day of the Dead (1985)

Directed by George A. Romero
Starring Lori Cardille
Is This a Good Movie? Yes

The 80's was a very good time for horror movies. Despite terrible reviews from Romero fans, Day of the Dead still remains a classic amongst its genre. The script, once again, is astounding and satirical, and the acting is superb. The zombie bites are amazingly realistic, especially when Greg Nicotero gets bitten in the neck by a female undead. The end of the movie will make you wonder what would happen to you in a similar situation, and will keep you thinking an abnormally long time for a gorror movie.

9. Zombie (1979)

Directed by Lucio Fulci
Starring Tisa Farrow
Is This a Good Movie? Not really

Alot of people think this movie is a rip-off of Dawn of the Dead, but obvious differences are apparent. The zombies in this movie are completely voodoo, and the movie is ITALIAN, and is dubbed in ENGLISH. Some of the effects are cool, but are mostly boring and tedious. The best part of the movie is when Tisa Farrow gets a splinter through the eye, very very slowly.

10. Bride of Re-Animator (1990)

Directed by Brian Yuzna
Starring Jeffrecy Combs
Is This a Good Movie? Not really

See above Re-Animator review. They're pretty much the same movie, except Bride of Re-Animator was the second time it was done.