You know you want it...get it!

Feb 20, 2008

Pros:Comfortable for kids, compact & easy to manuever, stylish to push!

Cons:Fold takes a few times to 'break in', not many bells & whistles

The Bottom Line: If you don't want to hassle with an SUV-sized carriage and you want the kiddos to relax and you to look sharp - get it.

When I had my second baby, I knew I wanted to get a double stroller. In a sea of gigantic tandems, I was determined to find the most compact, lightweight side by side stroller out there. Now, I may have settled a bit in that - there may indeed be a more lightweight double out there, but it wouldn't be by much! and heck, I'll be honest, not only did I want something that the kiddos would be content (and hopefully fall asleep) in, I also wanted something attractive. The Maclaren Twin Triumph hits the mark on all of those points. First off, the stroller is skinny - I can get through standard single doors and in between racks at the store easily. The wheels are solid (not air) & turn easily, but the ride hasn't ever seemed too rough on the kiddos. I have no problem steering the stroller, one-handed, with 40lbs of children on board. And the handles are at a very generous height; I'm 5'4" and my husband is 6'1" and he'd never complained about pushing it! It really drives smoothly, which is important in a double. At 21 lbs, it's on the low end of the weight chart in double stroller world, and although the fold is rough the first few times, it begins to loosen up and - oh, and it fits easily between cars in parking lots as you unload the kids back into their car seats (wheels also lock in a rather clever way, so the thing doesn't roll away on a slope.)
The children like to ride & the seats have a decent recline. It is NOT a true flat recline, but it's low and our two month old was just fine, all strapped in (5-point harness). The con I mentioned was that the bells and whistles were not there - this is a European stroller, so they don't have all the snack trays and cup holders. Kids have to hold their own sippys. :) Although the baskets underneath the seats don't support much weight, they are roomy and would hold a small diaper bag. Also, there are good-sized pockets on the back of the seats. We keep an extra couple diapers and a small pack of wipes in one, sunglasses and keys in the other. Those pockets are great. Also, there are sun hoods (one for each seat)...which are not so great unless it's high noon and the sun is beating straight down. There are also little windows in the hoods so you can see the kids. The Triumph comes with a rain hood - a large clear plastic "jacket" that covers the entire stroller. I haven't used this yet, but it seems like a good idea!
Finally, the stroller is really handsome. I thought it would be more of a milk chocolate brown, but it is indeed a coffee-grounds brown. It's sleek and simple and modern - nothing garishly "baby" about this stroller - it's very sophisticated.
This is my first Maclaren stroller and so far, so good. I am actually thinking about purchasing a single as my older child so frequently wants to walk herself. I would definitely buy this again, and I'd recommend it to any parent who is looking for a lightweight, compact and stylish stroller at a decent price.